Later Rounds

57reasons

Later Rounds

Post by 57reasons » Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:03 am

A lot of chat already on the first round - how bout the later ones? The deeper i dive in the more excited i get as i realize there is some pretty good depth in the Guard class. latest one i read up on was Dominick Puni - would seem a very good fit here as a 3rd round pick assuming we dont get Fautanu, Graham Barton, Christian Haynes or Cooper Beebe in the first or second. Or Christian Mahogany in that range as well. Not so many good LBs but plenty of safeties to choose from in the 3rd or 4th round.

Sibelius Hindemith

Re: Later Rounds

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:48 pm

Why settle on a lesser talent at Guard when you can get Fautanu in the 1st round? Use those later picks on NT, LB, S, TE, etc. The time for settling on second or third tier trash on the O line is over. A good O line makes everyone better.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Thu Apr 04, 2024 4:54 pm

It doesn't nesssarily tier that neatly, the guy in the later round can end up out performing the first round pick

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:40 pm

I'm just saying why not try to get the best OG prospect in the draft? Make it your top priority for once.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:20 pm

Think offensive line is a difficult position to project college to the pros. I think the rankings be pretty flat. Fautanu is an interesting case since he's being projected to a position he doesn't actually play. That he'seen to project to multiple positions gives him value. There's the possibility he could play some center I understand. If you're looking strictly for the best guard in the draft not sure he's considered that

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:41 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:20 pm
Think offensive line is a difficult position to project college to the pros. I think the rankings be pretty flat. Fautanu is an interesting case since he's being projected to a position he doesn't actually play. That he'seen to project to multiple positions gives him value. There's the possibility he could play some center I understand. If you're looking strictly for the best guard in the draft not sure he's considered that
I can't think of a ton of low round O Lineman that have ended up being studs in the NFL. That is simply me going off memory, no data to support that. But I do know that as a fan of this team? Watching the "let's save money on O Line" philosophy? Well, it sucked ass.

I know Lucas got hurt, and has struggled ever since, but it seemed we were on the right track recently. I do wonder why Lewis was never a better player though. It scares me, because I remember listening to Ray Roberts rip on the coaching here for how they develop O Line. Specifically Germain Ifedi. He even talked about how his stance was ridiculous. I always thought he should have been a Guard, and based on his career after he left that seems to be at least somewhat accurate. But? What if we had a clue how to develop these guys. I never was a big fan of that Tom Cable, and listening to Roberts a few times on KIRO sure didn't change my mind.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:55 pm

"I'm not wanting to offend anybody, but college football, offensively, has gotten to be really, really bad fundamentally," Cable said Tuesday on 710 ESPN Seattle radio. "Unfortunately, I think we're doing a huge disservice to offensive football players, other than a receiver, that come out of these spread systems.

"The runners aren't as good. They aren't taught how to run. The blockers aren't as good. The quarterbacks aren't as good. They don't know how to read coverage and throw progressions. They have no idea."
Deal with cable was he didn't think much of college football. Whoever the player was he was basically broken. So for cable it was extremely flat. He'd just as soon fix the sixth round guy as the first rounder. Or go get a defensive lineman and convert him for that matter

57reasons

Post by 57reasons » Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:03 am

Donn Beach wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:55 pm
"I'm not wanting to offend anybody, but college football, offensively, has gotten to be really, really bad fundamentally," Cable said Tuesday on 710 ESPN Seattle radio. "Unfortunately, I think we're doing a huge disservice to offensive football players, other than a receiver, that come out of these spread systems.

"The runners aren't as good. They aren't taught how to run. The blockers aren't as good. The quarterbacks aren't as good. They don't know how to read coverage and throw progressions. They have no idea."
Deal with cable was he didn't think much of college football. Whoever the player was he was basically broken. So for cable it was extremely flat. He'd just as soon fix the sixth round guy as the first rounder. Or go get a defensive lineman and convert him for that matter
Yeah, and how well did that work out for him? :oops:

57reasons

Post by 57reasons » Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:21 am

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:48 pm
Why settle on a lesser talent at Guard when you can get Fautanu in the 1st round? Use those later picks on NT, LB, S, TE, etc. The time for settling on second or third tier trash on the O line is over. A good O line makes everyone better.
Agreed, nobody likes Fautanu more than i do. but he's no guaranty to be there at 16 - lot of people mocking him higher, as high as the second OT now. Raiders in particular at 13 might pounce on him. My point was that there are other guards i like who seem to fit the same mold that Scott Huff/Ryan Grubb like to feature so you have options and dont have to overpay to get him specifically. That mold being mobility, adept in space as opposed to the traditional mold of wrestlers in a phone booth. For that reason i find some guys really intriguing, more so than previous drafts (ok to be fair i never researched as extensively in past years, but still). Sounds like Puni fits that mold and i dont hear him mentioned in anyone's top 50. Same for Mahogany (top 75), Haynes (top 50), and maybe Beebe (touted as perhaps the best pure G overall).

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Fri Apr 05, 2024 4:38 pm

57reasons wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 12:03 am
Donn Beach wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:55 pm

Yeah, and how well did that work out for him? :oops:
It didn’t, and that is the point. Cable is a dumb shit, PC is an idiot to listen to him and JS was stupid to go along. Let’s see, I need an accountant to do my taxes, but I don’t think guys that passed accounting in college get it, so I’m gonna hire a lawyer instead.

It’s fucking idiotic. He thought so highly of himself that he believed it. And the organization fell for it, for years! O Line Guru my ass. The guy NEVER had a good pass blocking Line, ANYWHERE. But just another guy Pete believed in, so fuck the facts.