NFL DRAFT chat

Sexymarinersfan

NFL DRAFT chat

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:38 pm

Since no one has started this yet, I figured I'd get things kicked off.

The top story of the day right now has to be, how many QB's will go in Round 1? I'll say 5. But if it winds up being 6, it will not surprise me in the least. I think Caleb Williams, Drake Maye, Jayden Daniels, J.J. McCarthy, and Michael Penix Jr. are all locks. Personally, I like Bo Nix, a lot. So if a team felt like they wanted to sneak up into the back of Round 1, I could see that. I also wouldn't have a problem if Seattle traded back and took Nix later in the first round. He was a completely different player at Oregon than he was at Ole Miss.

I think we could also see a record of OL go in the first as well this year. Which means a lot of talented DL are going to get pushed down the board. How far will TE Brock Bowers fall? Could you, would you take him at 16 if he were on the board, or trade back?

If there is one guy that I had to come away with in this draft it would be Troy Fautanu. I think addressing the trenches should and will be the focal point of reconstructing this roster. I think Mike McDaniel will also look for interesting depth pieces on defense. McDaniel likes deception, and so finding players that are versatile make a lot of sense. I'm excited to see him and John build up a lethal defense like he had in Michigan. Also I'm interested to see what Ryan Grubb covets in an OL, and if that'll be our first target on the board.

Others I like that I think could be there at 16, are OL Taliese Fuaga, QB Michael Penix Jr., and Jackson Powers-Johnson.
Attachments
Screenshot_20240425_084036_Chrome.jpg
Last edited by Sexymarinersfan on Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:49 pm, edited 4 times in total.

D-train

Re: NFL DRAFT chat

Post by D-train » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:01 pm

If the Hawks take f-ing Nix I will become a Patriots fan. Not joking.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:04 pm

If we had a 2nd round pick I would love Troy F. but we don't so think there is a 90% chance we trade down...
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:05 pm

D-train wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:01 pm
The worst thing about Nix isn't even that he is a Duck. I just don't see how everyone thinks he is that good. The guy either won't or can't throw the ball downfield! I saw one post on X, from a Duck fan, saying the Hawks should take him, and literally took video from one throw against the Huskies as why. The guy is 0 and 3 against Washington, and each time his team was a rather large favorite! In the NFL you can't just dump the ball off to playmakers. The field isn't spread as much and the defense is just too damn fast.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:06 pm

D-train wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:04 pm
If we had a 2nd round pick I would love Troy F. but we don't so think there is a 90% chance we trade down...
I honestly think the only way we don't trade down is if we can't find a trade partner. Which seems very unlikely. I hope they don't trade out of the first, but it is probably just as likely that they trade back and end up with more day two picks than it is they use their first round pick.

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:17 pm

Bobs picks. What do you guy think of Latu?
By Bob Condotta
Seattle Times staff reporter
What will the 2024 draft look like for the Seahawks in the first year of the post-Pete Carroll era?

We’ll begin to find out when the first round gets under way Thursday night.

Until it does, it’s time to take one last guess at what the Seahawks could do — not just in the first round with the 16th overall pick, but with each of their seven selections.

What follows is my choice at each pick and reasoning.

First round, pick 16: Defensive end/edge rusher Laiatu Latu, UCLA.
The reason: For starters, I am not going to include any trades, though I realize the Seahawks’ history — and the volatility of this draft in which only the first pick seems certain 48 hours ahead of time — makes it a given they will explore all options.

In a draft that many think there are just 16-18 players who have consensus first-round grades, the Seahawks may want to try to keep their first pick to assure getting an elite talent.

And yes, they need interior offensive-line help and if UW’s Troy Fautanu is there the Seahawks could well take him as a potential long-term fixture at guard.

And yes, the Seahawks could be tempted if a quarterback they weren’t expecting falls to them, especially if it’s Michael Penix Jr.

If the Seahawks keep this pick, they will lean toward defense and go with Latu, who won the Morris Trophy as the best defensive lineman in the Pac-12 last year as voted by offensive linemen, finishing with 13 sacks.

Latu would make for a heartwarming story, returning to the city where he began his college career.

More importantly, most regard him as the best pure pass rusher in the draft. The Seahawks have Uchenna Nwosu and Boye Mafe at the edge spots. But you can never have enough pass rushers these days — especially someone who might have the potential to become one of the best in the league (and Nwosu’s contract contains no guaranteed money beyond this season).

Latu’s neck injury history comes with some risk. CBSSports.com reported Tuesday that because of his past “it’s really hard to pin down where Laiatu Latu is going to be picked. Teams generally agree he’s the best pass rusher in this year’s draft, but he has a serious medical history that will give some teams pause.”

If Texas defensive tackle Byron Murphy II falls here I’d expect the Seahawks to leap to get him. But I’m not expecting Murphy to fall here.

Third round, pick 81: Inside linebacker Jeremiah Trotter Jr., Clemson.
The reason: The son of the former 12-year NFL veteran, Trotter is considered among the best inside linebackers in a year when there aren’t a lot of good ones. Some question his size — 6-foot, 230 pounds — and whether he can hold up consistently inside, one reason he could be available at this spot. This line from his Pro Football Focus scouting report may speak more loudly to teams: “Trotter is an incredibly smart linebacker who consistently puts himself in the right positions.’’ He also just turned 21, coming out as a third-year junior, so there’s room to grow in every area.

The Seahawks have an uncertain future at their inside linebacking spots, signing free agents Jerome Baker and Tyrel Dodson each to just one-year contracts and nobody has played much behind them on the depth chart.

Fourth round, pick 102: Guard Christian Mahogany, Boston College.
The reason: While the Seahawks’ long-range needs on the interior offensive line are obvious, they can wait until this pick to address them because this is regarded as a good year for guards and centers. Mahogany, who measured 6-3, 314 at the combine, played almost solely at right guard in college but switching sides is common in the NFL.

Most scouting reports on Mahogany call him one of the best — if not the best — run-blocking guard in the draft. That’s something the Seahawks would love to have.

Fourth round, pick 118: Safety Sione Vaki, Utah.
The reason: The Seahawks are valuing versatility more than ever now that Mike Macdonald has taken over as coach. It’s hard to find anyone in this draft more versatile than Vaki, who was a true two-way player last year at Utah, playing safety and running back.

He rushed for 317 yards on 42 carries and had 11 receptions for 203 yards on offense, along with playing 677 snaps on defense. Even those defensive snaps were about as versatile as could be. Via Pro Football Focus, he had 318 snaps at free safety, 175 at strong safety, 131 in the slot, 16 playing wide corner and 37 lined up on the defensive line.

Two of the Seahawks’ top three safeties — Julian Love and K’Von Wallace — are under contract for just one more year.

The reason: The Seahawks have obvious interest in Boyd, bringing him in for a pre-draft visit. His size — he measured 6-2, 329 at his Pro Day — seems to fit the way Macdonald wants to build his defense with a strong foundation up the middle. Boyd impressed at the East-West Shrine Bowl, especially with his stoutness against the run. While the Seahawks signed 12-year vet Johnathan Hankins to pair with Jarran Reed as the prospective starting tackles, each is 31 or older, and neither is under contract beyond 2024.

Sixth round, pick 192: Quarterback Jordan Travis, Florida State.
The reason: The trade for Sam Howell means the Seahawks don’t have to take a QB for depth. Their current QB setup means they could be tempted to take one at some point. If they pass on a QB at 16, they could wait and get a project with potential such as Travis, who poses an ideal run-pass threat and led FSU to a 21-3 record his last two years, including 17 wins in a row to end his career, turning in a 44-to-7 touchdown-to-interception ratio. Concerns over his age (almost 24) and ability to adjust to a pro-style offense figure to leave him available late in the draft and an ideal QB to develop.

Seventh round, pick 235: Tight end Tanner McLachlan, Arizona.
The reason: The Seahawks re-signed Noah Fant and signed veteran free agent Pharaoh Brown to a one-year deal to help replace the departed Will Dissly and Colby Parkinson. The only other tight ends on the roster are Brady Russell and Tyler Mabry, whose limited experience is mostly on special teams. McLachlan measured 6-5, 244 at the combine where he also ran the fourth-fastest 40 of any tight end at 4.61. McLachlan played amply in the slot at Arizona, where he caught 45 passes on 55 targets — the most for any Wildcats tight end since Rob Gronkowski in 2008 — for 530 yards last season, playing for new UW coach Jedd Fisch and offensive coordinator Brennan Carroll, Pete’s son.
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:26 pm

I saw that the other day, and I like that draft, besides Latu. Maybe I just don't know enough about him, but I think there are too many impact players at positions of higher need. Plus? He fell to me once in a simulator, so I took him, and my draft blew! LOL

Maybe he will be a great player, and maybe he does fit our scheme, but isn't he more of a 4 - 3 Edge? Bob is right, you can never have too many pass rushers, but the neck is concerning, and to me? So is the fit. That said? If MacDonald signs off on him, my guess is the fit won't be a concern.

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:29 pm

Seaside Joe
Seahawks draft predictions: My final pick for 2024
3 scenarios for what the Seahawks will do in the 2024 NFL Draft's first round: Seaside Joe 1881

I don’t think predicting the Seattle Seahawks to pick Devon Witherspoon last year was as difficult as you’d imagine given that Witherspoon only had the eighth-best odds to be the choice. Everything you see in Witherspoon now is what I saw in Witherspoon before the draft, so knowing that why wouldn’t he be Seattle’s choice over the other options?

Predicting this year’s first round choice for the Seahawks is exponentially more difficult at 16, so that’s why instead of giving you one final answer I’m going to lay out three scenarios and then tell you which of those I find to be the most likely. Some fans weren’t pleased with Witherspoon over Jalen Carter, but I bet they’ll be even more dissatisfied with my prediction this year.

Does the phrase, “Seahawks make fans wait…” sound familiar?

Seaside Joe is a reader-supported publication. To receive new posts and support my work, consider becoming a free or paid subscriber.

Upgrade to paid

Scenario #1
Seahawks stick-and-pick: EDGE Jared Verse, Florida State
There’s a good chance that if Seattle picks anyone at 16 that it will be someone who they wined and dined at least a little bit, just as they did with Witherspoon in 2023. One such prospect who was flown to Seattle is Jared Verse and he checks more boxes than the rest of the prospects who I expect to have a probability of availability at 16.

I might choose Byron Murphy II, but I believe he will be a top-10 pick. If Murphy is on the board at 16, maybe he would be the choice. I think this could be a spot for Illinois defensive tackle Johnny Newton, but I don’t know if his grade is significantly higher than the DTs who will be available on day two. This seems too high to me for Cooper DeJean and Graham Barton, but is there ever such a thing as “too soon” in the Seahawks draft world? If Schneider has a cluster of prospects he likes including DeJean, Barton, and Newton, wouldn’t the first move be trading down?

Troy Fautanu had a late report of a medical red flag on his knee, potentially just one more obstacle standing in between him and being Seattle’s pick, as I don’t expect them to pick Fautanu despite his connection to Ryan Grubb and offensive line coach Scott Huff; would teammate Roger Rosengarten be a better value on day two? Is Toledo cornerback Quinyon Mitchell or Georgia tight end Brock Bowers going to drop out of the top-15 and if they do, would Schneider see either of them as ‘must-haves’ over adding draft capital when the tight end and cornerback rooms aren’t necessarily demanding more players?

If the Seahawks draft Bowers or LSU receiver Brian Thomas or Texas receiver AD Mitchell, doesn’t that imply an immediate trade for DK Metcalf? I have a hard time believing that Metcalf (or the re-signed Noah Fant for that matter) would be happy with Seattle adding a first round receiver in back-to-back years, as if they weren’t already hungry for more targets.

And I’ll be surprised if Schneider believes that should a quarterback like J.J. McCarthy or Michael Penix be available to them at 16 that they would be viewed as franchise players worthy of bypassing players at other positions. I think Sam Howell was the move and that’s it for now or until the Seahawks maybe kick the tires on Devin Leary or John Rhys Plumlee on day three.

Leaving me with Jared Verse.
If the Seahawks want to build up the roster “The Ravens Way” as I wrote on Tuesday, Verse doesn’t exactly fit the mold because Mike Macdonald’s defense excelled at the edge positions with veteran journeymen Jadeveon Clowney and Kyle Van Noy. The only first round pick recently has been Odafe Oweh, a disappointment so far and a late first round pick at that. When Baltimore’s been drafting in the middle of the first round, they picked secondary players like Kyle Hamilton and Marlon Humphrey.

But the Ravens didn’t necessarily have the opportunity to draft someone like Verse those years and would welcome any outstanding defensive prospects regardless of position. Edge rusher continues to be valued around the league at a higher draft pick/contract amount than safeties and cornerbacks, so if the Seahawks were implored to turn down trade offers because of any prospect then I think it would be Verse, not DeJean or Fautanu.

At 6’4, 254 lbs with 33.5” arms and a 4.58 40-yard dash, 1.60 10-yard split, 4.44 20-yard shuttle, 31 bench reps, and a 35” vertical, Verse ranked sixth in athleticism score at the combine for edge rushers, but also third in production score after two years at Florida State. His NFL.com comp is LaMarr Woodley, a former standout edge rusher on the Steelers who had his career cut short due to injuries.

A former tight end at the start of his career at Albany, Verse switched to defense in 2019 and added 40 lbs of muscle during the pandemic to play edge rusher, then in his first season was honored as the CAA Defensive Rookie of the Year with 10 TFL in four games. The next year he had 9.5 sacks in 11 games, then transferred to Florida State in 2022 and posted 29 tackles for a loss over 25 games between 2022-2023. Here’s the Zierlein write-up:

Talented edge defender with the field demeanor, athleticism and skill set to rack up statistics in key categories fairly early in his NFL career. Verse dominated at Albany and then showed an ability to do the same at Florida State. He’s twitchy and compact, with explosiveness featured at the point of attack and in his upfield burst as a pass rusher. He’s great with his hands and does a nice job of diagnosing plays quickly and staying out of the clinches of offensive linemen looking to snatch him up. Verse's ability to threaten the edge only bolsters his hellish speed-to-power bull-rushing ability to run tackles deep into the pocket. He can play up or down and should be in consideration for all defensive schemes looking to add a safe, high-impact edge.

Jared Verse has the athleticism and college production resume to be as good of a mid-first steal as Brian Burns or Montez Sweat. He stands the same odds as maybe anyone else to be a first round bust too, but I don’t think anyone could be mad about the Seahawks picking Verse at 16 if that’s what they do; this is not a reach. It could be a steal and it wouldn’t be surprising to see Verse go in the first 12 picks in part because UCLA’s Laiatu Latu might fall for significant medical concerns and that leaves a pretty big gap between Turner, Verse, Latu, then the “Chop Robinson tier” after that.

Maybe the Seahawks will feel like they can get an edge prospect if they trade down and choose someone like Missouri’s Darius Robinson, who they’ll know isn’t as good of a prospect but with his absurd length might be undervalued relative to draft position. Robinson has that “Seahawks reach” quality about him that will conjur up memories of L.J. Collier. But if Seattle just isn’t getting the trade offers they want, Murphy and Mitchell are already off the board, and they have this player ranked well above the prospects 10-15 spots later, then I think the pick is:

Jared Verse.

However…

Scenario #2
Seahawks trade down to 22-32: DB Cooper DeJean, Iowa
Three weeks ago, I proposed this trade with the Green Bay Packers:

Pick 16 for picks 25, 88, 169, and 202. In a poll, most of you approved those terms. Trading with the Packers is the most predictable because Schneider’s already done two draft day deals with Green Bay GM Brian Gutekunst since 2018, both times with the Seahawks moving down in the first round. Here we go again with the Seahawks probably wanting to move down, Green Bay being behind them and probably wanting to move up, plus the Packers have this many picks: 25, 41, 58, 88, 91, 126, 169, 202, 219, 245, and 255.

The Seahawks drop nine spots in the first round but add a third, a fifth, and a sixth. The third is a third, but the fifth and sixth could either be used on players or used as ammo to move up from 81 or 102 for a better day two prospect.

But Green Bay is hardly the only team behind Seattle that Schneider has a close relationship and trade history with: The Eagles at 22 are rumored to want to move up for a cornerback, so if Quinyon Mitchell is there at 16 then maybe Philly GM Howie Roseman will be willing to part with more than the draft trade chart indicates. Would he trade picks 22 and 50 and a fifth for picks 16 and 81? Seattle goes from one top-80 pick to two top-50 picks.

So the Eagles and Packers are the most likely teams, but the Cardinals are at 27 and have the power to move up as far as they want, the Bills could want to trade up and are known to be aggressive, the Lions could be aggressive from pick 29, and then there’s Macdonald’s friends in Baltimore holding pick 30.

At the end of any trades though, I think Iowa cornerback Cooper DeJean is a far more sensible pick at the end of the first round than in the middle of the first round. Like Verse, the Seahawks flew DeJean to Seattle for an in-person visit and I think he would make a lot of sense for Macdonald’s defense as a safety and a complement to Witherspoon. At maybe pick 25 or 30, not pick 16.

Why don’t the Eagles wait for DeJean if they want a corner? Because Mitchell and probably Nate Wiggins too, if not plenty others, are better CORNERBACK prospects than DeJean. Not many people view DeJean as a future starting outside cornerback in the NFL and that puts him a tier below others at the position getting first round grades. There are rumors floating out there that DeJean will go HIGHER—not lower—than expectations.

That’s fine, maybe that’s true. Maybe DeJean goes 14th to the Saints. I was just thinking about Donte Whitner being a top-10 pick and before the draft he was projected in the 30-40 range. It happens, I can’t rule anything out.

For me, the lack of evidence on tape that DeJean is fluid enough to turn and run with elite speed receivers in the NFL, the probability he’s going to play an entirely new position, the unknown value of adding kick returners at this point in time, this all points to him as a prospect who goes late day one if not early day two. I am PRO the Seahawks drafting Cooper DeJean, clearly, I just think that the move that happens first is trading down to increase Seattle’s capital between picks 30-60 since that’s where most of their pre-draft focus has been on…probably including their interest in DeJean.

Who else could the Seahawks be interested in here if they trade down since it’s impossible for anyone to tell you who will actually be left on the board? Duke’s Graham Barton is gaining steam for me, he’s not the traditional Schneider pick as a position but this would give fans what they want and Seattle a Week 1 starter at either center or guard. There’s this feeling in my bones that Barton will be an All-Pro, but I don’t see it happening at 16.

Upgrade to paid

DB Ennis Rakestraw is another built in the mold of DeJean. I mentioned Darius Robinson as a sleeper here already. Or how about a different Florida State defensive lineman, Braden Fiske? I could see any move like those, I would be shocked if it was Penix, Bo Nix, Amarius Mims, or any skill position players.

However…What if the Seahawks first round pick is: Nobody?

Scenario #3
Seahawks trade out of the first round entirely: Starting with pick #33 on day 2
If we believe that the Seahawks are open to trading down, if not hopeful to trade down, then we must also accept that the fall doesn’t end with just one deal. Once Schneider goes from 16 to 25, why not see what he can get to go from 25 to 30 or 33?

In fact, pick 33 is a coveted position in the draft: It will give that GM an entire day to decide who to pick at #33 or like happened in 2023 when Will Levis dropped to day two, a powerful trading position for that team. (Levis was pick 33, but it was actually the second pick of day two because of the Dolphins being docked a first rounder.) The Cardinals got the Titans to give up a third round pick and a third round pick swap to move up for Levis.

As it so happens, the GM who owns pick 33 is Carolina’s Dan Morgan, a former protege of Schneider’s in Seattle.

Think of where the Panthers are in the draft now, holding no first round pick and having dire needs receiver, center, and cornerback…all positions that should have really good prospects on the board at 25 who could end up being drafted by the Bills, Lions, Ravens, 49ers, and Chiefs at the end of day one. Carolina could jump over those teams to get the player they covet like AD Mitchell, Xavier Worthy, Ladd McConkey, Graham Barton, Nate Wiggins, or what have you. The Panthers could trade up from 33 to 25 and they’d still own another second round pick at 39.

However, maybe Schneider could convince Morgan to trade him picks 33, 65, and 142 for picks 25 and 81. The Seahawks would improve their third round pick from the middle to the top of the round, add a fifth, and be on the clock when Day 2 begins on Friday. Then Schneider and company get about 24 hours to reassess all the options who didn’t make it on day one. Is that so bad? Remember our 2020 draft recall on Wednesday, as many second round picks have out-played their first round counterparts.

If the Seahawks execute two proposed trades in this article, they go from holding picks 16, 81, 102, and 118 in the first five rounds to holding picks 33, 65, 88, 102, 118, 142, and 169.

That’s an increase of four picks to seven picks by going down 17 spots with their first choice. Is this realistic? I KNOW that it is realistic, it’s just not really going to happen. Predicting two trades with all these picks is ludicrous, but I think this is a fair example of what John Schneider would like to happen: He goes from picking just one player in the top-80 to picking three of the top-90 and I believe that Barton, DeJean, Rakestraw, Fiske…these are players who could be on the board at pick 33. This is a route towards picking one of your favorite first round prospects (let’s say Barton) and one of two of your favorite day two players (let’s say linebacker Junior Colson and defensive tackle Brandon Dorlus) but also a little more capital on day three to keep filling out a roster than needs more cost-controlled players on rookie deals.

Coming up with the exact details of two trades IS farfetched, but predicting that the Seahawks will trade out of the first round entirely is NOT farfetched. In fact…

My ultimate first round prediction: Nobody
If forced to choose one of three scenarios, I’m going with the Seahawks trading out of the first round. Specifically, I think Schneider should target Morgan’s pick at #33 to be in the best position for day two.

If they stick, Verse. If they trade down once, DeJean (or Barton or Rakestraw or Newton…). But if they get the chance to: Trade down multiple times.

It’s not going to be as exciting as Witherspoon in 2023 if I’m right, but it is what I give the highest likelihood to as far as outcomes on Thursday.
dt

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:51 pm

D-train wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:01 pm
:lol:

I know a lot of guys aren't as high on him lol

This made me laugh so hard :lol:

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:52 pm

D-train wrote:
Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:17 pm
Bobs picks. What do you guy think of Latu?
By Bob Condotta
Seattle Times staff reporter
What will the 2024 draft look like for the Seahawks in the first year of the post-Pete Carroll era?

We’ll begin to find out when the first round gets under way Thursday night.

Until it does, it’s time to take one last guess at what the Seahawks could do — not just in the first round with the 16th overall pick, but with each of their seven selections.

What follows is my choice at each pick and reasoning.

First round, pick 16: Defensive end/edge rusher Laiatu Latu, UCLA.
The reason: For starters, I am not going to include any trades, though I realize the Seahawks’ history — and the volatility of this draft in which only the first pick seems certain 48 hours ahead of time — makes it a given they will explore all options.

In a draft that many think there are just 16-18 players who have consensus first-round grades, the Seahawks may want to try to keep their first pick to assure getting an elite talent.

And yes, they need interior offensive-line help and if UW’s Troy Fautanu is there the Seahawks could well take him as a potential long-term fixture at guard.

And yes, the Seahawks could be tempted if a quarterback they weren’t expecting falls to them, especially if it’s Michael Penix Jr.

If the Seahawks keep this pick, they will lean toward defense and go with Latu, who won the Morris Trophy as the best defensive lineman in the Pac-12 last year as voted by offensive linemen, finishing with 13 sacks.

Latu would make for a heartwarming story, returning to the city where he began his college career.

More importantly, most regard him as the best pure pass rusher in the draft. The Seahawks have Uchenna Nwosu and Boye Mafe at the edge spots. But you can never have enough pass rushers these days — especially someone who might have the potential to become one of the best in the league (and Nwosu’s contract contains no guaranteed money beyond this season).

Latu’s neck injury history comes with some risk. CBSSports.com reported Tuesday that because of his past “it’s really hard to pin down where Laiatu Latu is going to be picked. Teams generally agree he’s the best pass rusher in this year’s draft, but he has a serious medical history that will give some teams pause.”

If Texas defensive tackle Byron Murphy II falls here I’d expect the Seahawks to leap to get him. But I’m not expecting Murphy to fall here.

Third round, pick 81: Inside linebacker Jeremiah Trotter Jr., Clemson.
The reason: The son of the former 12-year NFL veteran, Trotter is considered among the best inside linebackers in a year when there aren’t a lot of good ones. Some question his size — 6-foot, 230 pounds — and whether he can hold up consistently inside, one reason he could be available at this spot. This line from his Pro Football Focus scouting report may speak more loudly to teams: “Trotter is an incredibly smart linebacker who consistently puts himself in the right positions.’’ He also just turned 21, coming out as a third-year junior, so there’s room to grow in every area.

The Seahawks have an uncertain future at their inside linebacking spots, signing free agents Jerome Baker and Tyrel Dodson each to just one-year contracts and nobody has played much behind them on the depth chart.

Fourth round, pick 102: Guard Christian Mahogany, Boston College.
The reason: While the Seahawks’ long-range needs on the interior offensive line are obvious, they can wait until this pick to address them because this is regarded as a good year for guards and centers. Mahogany, who measured 6-3, 314 at the combine, played almost solely at right guard in college but switching sides is common in the NFL.

Most scouting reports on Mahogany call him one of the best — if not the best — run-blocking guard in the draft. That’s something the Seahawks would love to have.

Fourth round, pick 118: Safety Sione Vaki, Utah.
The reason: The Seahawks are valuing versatility more than ever now that Mike Macdonald has taken over as coach. It’s hard to find anyone in this draft more versatile than Vaki, who was a true two-way player last year at Utah, playing safety and running back.

He rushed for 317 yards on 42 carries and had 11 receptions for 203 yards on offense, along with playing 677 snaps on defense. Even those defensive snaps were about as versatile as could be. Via Pro Football Focus, he had 318 snaps at free safety, 175 at strong safety, 131 in the slot, 16 playing wide corner and 37 lined up on the defensive line.

Two of the Seahawks’ top three safeties — Julian Love and K’Von Wallace — are under contract for just one more year.

The reason: The Seahawks have obvious interest in Boyd, bringing him in for a pre-draft visit. His size — he measured 6-2, 329 at his Pro Day — seems to fit the way Macdonald wants to build his defense with a strong foundation up the middle. Boyd impressed at the East-West Shrine Bowl, especially with his stoutness against the run. While the Seahawks signed 12-year vet Johnathan Hankins to pair with Jarran Reed as the prospective starting tackles, each is 31 or older, and neither is under contract beyond 2024.

Sixth round, pick 192: Quarterback Jordan Travis, Florida State.
The reason: The trade for Sam Howell means the Seahawks don’t have to take a QB for depth. Their current QB setup means they could be tempted to take one at some point. If they pass on a QB at 16, they could wait and get a project with potential such as Travis, who poses an ideal run-pass threat and led FSU to a 21-3 record his last two years, including 17 wins in a row to end his career, turning in a 44-to-7 touchdown-to-interception ratio. Concerns over his age (almost 24) and ability to adjust to a pro-style offense figure to leave him available late in the draft and an ideal QB to develop.

Seventh round, pick 235: Tight end Tanner McLachlan, Arizona.
The reason: The Seahawks re-signed Noah Fant and signed veteran free agent Pharaoh Brown to a one-year deal to help replace the departed Will Dissly and Colby Parkinson. The only other tight ends on the roster are Brady Russell and Tyler Mabry, whose limited experience is mostly on special teams. McLachlan measured 6-5, 244 at the combine where he also ran the fourth-fastest 40 of any tight end at 4.61. McLachlan played amply in the slot at Arizona, where he caught 45 passes on 55 targets — the most for any Wildcats tight end since Rob Gronkowski in 2008 — for 530 yards last season, playing for new UW coach Jedd Fisch and offensive coordinator Brennan Carroll, Pete’s son.
I like Latu. He's a wrecking ball. I hope he doesn't go to the Rams.

I like Chop Robinson and Jared Verse a whole lot more however.