Hawks got great Draft Grades

D-train

Re: Hawks got great Draft Grades

Post by D-train » Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:52 pm

douche wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:27 pm
As the Ringer put it, 'All in all, an unsexy but solid weekend for the Seahawks.'
Ironically Sexmarinerfan is a big fan of it. lol
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:48 pm

Has anyone seen anything explaining at all the decision to pass on Trotter for Knight?

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:21 pm

Eagles needed a legacy pick?

Knight wasn't really a need pick, seems more a development pick. He's projected as a special teams player
In addition, while his coverage drops will need work at the next level before he's ready to play significant snaps on defense in the NFL
See where he didn't have cell service, wasn't expecting to be chosen then

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:13 pm

Don't the Seahawks have a need at LB? The two guys they signed have similar skillsets i think. They needed a run stopper type which is more what Knight excels at. He is a bit small though so who knows if he'll be the answer there.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:22 pm

From that article, not considered a run stopper
Out of the gate, after signing veterans Jerome Baker and Tyrel Dodson in free agency, Knight will have time to develop behind the scenes with the Seahawks while playing substantial snaps on special teams. In time, with coach Mike Macdonald's specialty being linebackers, he should have a chance to compete for snaps as an off-ball linebacker with the flexibility to occasionally rush off the edge if needed.
https://www.si.com/nfl/seahawks/news/se ... -nfl-draft

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:05 pm

I felt McDonald be on a tight leash. It's clearly JSs team now and he would build it his way. But knight seems like such an obvious McDonald pick. I think that's interesting. JS seems to me an extremely easy GM to work with, no ego

trharder

Post by trharder » Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:18 am

I know I'm in the minority, but I find the notion of "grades", as applied to the draft, ridiculous.
The draft is just one of several means of acquiring players. It does not score TDs or win games.
No one knows if a draft was a good one until much later, and even then there are more factors at
play than just the draft.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:32 am

It's like participation medals, pretty much everybody gets between a B- to B+, couple Cs tossed in

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:21 am

Michael K. wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:48 pm
Has anyone seen anything explaining at all the decision to pass on Trotter for Knight?
Apparently Macdonald liked the way he moved towards the play before the ball was even hiked. He said Knight would gravitate towards the play before it was even in motion. Said he liked how he squared up the defender before the tackle. Also liked his conversation during his 30 visit at headquarters. As to why we didn't select Trotter, I dunno.

I do know that Mike said that coaching the linebacker position is where he said he's from and also said that it's his favorite position to coach. Schneider even went as far as to call Macdonald the "linebacker guru" during one of their press conferences. So I'm willing to trust Mike's judgement over our amateur eyes and ears.

57reasons

Post by 57reasons » Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:59 am

Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:21 am
Michael K. wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:48 pm
Apparently Macdonald liked the way he moved towards the play before the ball was even hiked. He said Knight would gravitate towards the play before it was even in motion. Said he liked how he squared up the defender before the tackle. Also liked his conversation during his 30 visit at headquarters. As to why we didn't select Trotter, I dunno.

I do know that Mike said that coaching the linebacker position is where he said he's from and also said that it's his favorite position to coach. Schneider even went as far as to call Macdonald the "linebacker guru" during one of their press conferences. So I'm willing to trust Mike's judgement over our amateur eyes and ears.
I think Michael and I were both victims of Trotter's overrating by the PFN Sim - the more sources i viewed right up close to draft day the more i realized he was a lot further down many boards. Even so, by most boards Knight was quite a reach, but chosen because there were few good LBs remaining after Gray went earlier in the 4th. Given that MM was the LB coach before becoming full DC turned full HC, I'm content to trust his judgment between the two players. What's more questionable is continuing to pass on Trotter with the later picks, particularly the second corner?