Hawks got great Draft Grades

D-train

Re: Hawks got great Draft Grades

Post by D-train » Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:30 am

Donn Beach wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:22 pm
From that article, not considered a run stopper
Out of the gate, after signing veterans Jerome Baker and Tyrel Dodson in free agency, Knight will have time to develop behind the scenes with the Seahawks while playing substantial snaps on special teams. In time, with coach Mike Macdonald's specialty being linebackers, he should have a chance to compete for snaps as an off-ball linebacker with the flexibility to occasionally rush off the edge if needed.
https://www.si.com/nfl/seahawks/news/se ... -nfl-draft
New and improved J. Adams???
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:35 am

trharder wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 3:18 am
I know I'm in the minority, but I find the notion of "grades", as applied to the draft, ridiculous.
The draft is just one of several means of acquiring players. It does not score TDs or win games.
No one knows if a draft was a good one until much later, and even then there are more factors at
play than just the draft.
:? They are grading the draft as they currently see how it will impact future performance of each team. Nothing more nothing less. Who is saying giving it an A means a team will win 12-14 games in 2024 and giving it a C means a team will win 8-9 games in 2024? Answer: Nobody.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:40 am

Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:21 am
Michael K. wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:48 pm
Has anyone seen anything explaining at all the decision to pass on Trotter for Knight?
Apparently Macdonald liked the way he moved towards the play before the ball was even hiked. He said Knight would gravitate towards the play before it was even in motion. Said he liked how he squared up the defender before the tackle. Also liked his conversation during his 30 visit at headquarters. As to why we didn't select Trotter, I dunno.

I do know that Mike said that coaching the linebacker position is where he said he's from and also said that it's his favorite position to coach. Schneider even went as far as to call Macdonald the "linebacker guru" during one of their press conferences. So I'm willing to trust Mike's judgement over our amateur eyes and ears.
As am I. People are so obsessed with measurables. Seems the kid knows how to play football and tackle which seems important for an NFL LB.
dt

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:38 pm

D-train wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:40 am
Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 5:21 am
Michael K. wrote:
Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:48 pm
Has anyone seen anything explaining at all the decision to pass on Trotter for Knight?
Apparently Macdonald liked the way he moved towards the play before the ball was even hiked. He said Knight would gravitate towards the play before it was even in motion. Said he liked how he squared up the defender before the tackle. Also liked his conversation during his 30 visit at headquarters. As to why we didn't select Trotter, I dunno.

I do know that Mike said that coaching the linebacker position is where he said he's from and also said that it's his favorite position to coach. Schneider even went as far as to call Macdonald the "linebacker guru" during one of their press conferences. So I'm willing to trust Mike's judgement over our amateur eyes and ears.
As am I. People are so obsessed with measurables. Seems the kid knows how to play football and tackle which seems important for an NFL LB.
Here's a little more insight as to why Seattle drafted both CB's from Auburn. Apparently it had something to do with the fact that they had a bunch of experience playing in Press coverage where our guys had more experience in Zone. Macdonald's defenses typically feature Press coverage, so our current group of dudes should be put on notice.

https://sports.mynorthwest.com/1775426/ ... rnerbacks/

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:26 pm

Perhaps that might make Michael happy

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:49 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:26 pm
Sure as hell makes me happy...
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:51 pm

If you think about it, the silver lining of giving up a big play/quick score is their defense gets almost no rest. Pete's goal is to give their D as much rest as possible while still letting their offense score a TD.
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed May 01, 2024 12:47 am

But the issue was they were still giving up big plays.

49ers game
“We came in here buckled up, ready to go play these guys, and we just got out played by their guys on offense too many times to win the game today," coach Pete Carroll said bluntly after the game. "They had a bunch of explosive plays doing the things that they do. There's nothing new, just stuff that they did. They executed really well. ... There were too many explosive plays to hold these guys in check, so we’ve got to give them a lot of credit. They're a good club and had we done those things that would've been a much tighter football game."
Go back and review this stuff and I don't see any question the issue was coaching. I don't see how JS would have been in that discussion

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Wed May 01, 2024 11:59 am

Brock a big fan of 6th round OL pick...

https://sports.mynorthwest.com/1775386/ ... oa-laumea/

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Thu May 02, 2024 1:59 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:26 pm
It does, but zone isn’t the biggest evil of all. Pete Carroll’s soft ass zone where you line up ten yards off the ball and retreat at the snap on third and 7 sure as fuck is! We made a lot of tackles, 70% of the behind the line to gain!