Talent Level
67%
Other
No votes

Total votes: 3

Captain 97

Whats the biggest issue with the D?

Post by Captain 97 » Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:59 pm

I feel like something needs to change with the D but I am not sure I can put my finger on the problem. Tackling is an issue but is that because of bad coaching on the fundamentals, bad schemes not getting guys in good position to make plays or is it just a lack of talent? I'd like to see them be aggressive in the portal on that side of the ball and maybe look at changing up the coaching staff some. I don't think this co d-coordinator thing is working out too well.

57reasons

Re: Whats the biggest issue with the D?

Post by 57reasons » Wed Nov 15, 2023 6:17 am

Overall talent level is not what we're used to. For all his failures Jimmy Lake used to recruit and develop a secondary like no other. Since he went haywire we havent added a single player to write home about to that group, and promising safeties Asa Turner and Cam Williams didnt pan out.
Add to that the recent-year defections of two starting defensive linemen (Taimani to Oregon and Latu to UCLA - thanks to the team doctors).
And then some of the talent we thought we were getting up front (four-star DTs Jacob Bandes and Tui Tuitele and 5-star Savell Smalls) just haven't lived up to what many had hoped.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Wed Nov 15, 2023 4:17 pm

57reasons wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2023 6:17 am
Overall talent level is not what we're used to. For all his failures Jimmy Lake used to recruit and develop a secondary like no other. Since he went haywire we havent added a single player to write home about to that group, and promising safeties Asa Turner and Cam Williams didnt pan out.
Add to that the recent-year defections of two starting defensive linemen (Taimani to Oregon and Latu to UCLA - thanks to the team doctors).
And then some of the talent we thought we were getting up front (four-star DTs Jacob Bandes and Tui Tuitele and 5-star Savell Smalls) just haven't lived up to what many had hoped.
Interesting take. I am not as up to speed on the recruiting. Just never have been, and I think it is because for every Budda Baker that got me all fired up and it was a good thing, there more Salvell Smalls and Asa Turners. That said, I agree with Captain. The tackling is putrid. I am trying to lean into the fact that in our three biggest games this year we have only given up 1 fourth Quarter TD, and we just shut out Utah for an entire second half.

Walla Walla Dawg II

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Sat Nov 18, 2023 5:37 am

I picked talent level, but it may be intensity.

They seem to rise to the occasion....when they HAVE TO do something. But why not do it from the beginning and take the 4th quarter off?