Pete stepping down, Jimmy is in.

Michael K.
Posts: 1081
Joined: Wed May 01, 2019 5:27 am

Pete stepping down, Jimmy is in.

Post by Michael K. » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:13 pm

https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... med-coach/

If this had to happen, this makes the most sense, to me. I mentioned earlier in the season that I think Kwiatkowski is actually the better defensive coordinator, and that, IMO, Jimmy would go out and get the best OC for the job, that was available. I got the sense that Pete had to hire someone he had worked with in the past.

If we don't lose any Offensive recruits over this, then I think we will be fine. I didn't want Pete out, but if the alternative is we lose Lake? Maybe I am wrong, but most of the defensive studs credit Jimmy for why they are here. Let's just hope Jimmy finds us an OC.

Sibelius Hindemith
Posts: 1463
Joined: Thu May 02, 2019 3:09 am
Location: Seattle

Re: Pete stepping down, Jimmy is in.

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:52 pm

I guess Eason is gone now. :(

Michael K.
Posts: 1081
Joined: Wed May 01, 2019 5:27 am

Re: Pete stepping down, Jimmy is in.

Post by Michael K. » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:00 pm

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:52 pm
I guess Eason is gone now. :(
Why? Jimmy isn't the guy that made him compete all Spring and Summer with Haener. Jimmy isn't the guy that decided non of our young WRs that were big and fast deserved to get on the field because the tiny little Senior slot receivers we had were too good. Jimmy isn't the one that for half the season took Jacob off the field for the Wild Cat. Jimmy didn't call the plays nor work with Jacob. Unless Jacob was thrilled with Bush Hamden, who Pete hired, not Jimmy, I would say this move makes it MORE likely that Eason comes back, not less.

Jacob Eason could not have been thrilled with how the offense worked this season, and many have spoken about the lack of fire and energy this team played with. I don't see how that doesn't improve under Lake. I really had lost faith that Pete was going to do anything to fix the offense. Maybe I am wrong, and Pete was the guy to go find our new OC...but so far, in the selection of OC's, he is 0 for 2 while here.

Jimmy is the hot new thing...and my hope is that attracts a hot new offensive play caller. I also think, as I have said many times, as good as Jimmy was working with DBs, and as fantastic of a recruiter that he is, Kwiatkowski did better as the DC, with the defense as a whole. He was the one in charge when this thing really got going. THIS move, the move to Lake as the HC, and not wanting to lose him as a recruiter, is the only reason Kwiatkowski was "demoted" to Co-DC.

57reasons
Posts: 287
Joined: Thu May 02, 2019 4:19 am
Location: 98118

Re: Pete stepping down, Jimmy is in.

Post by 57reasons » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:21 pm

Guess that explains a lot in terms of the baffling lack of fire we witnessed this year.
Hopefully coach K now moves back to the full-time DC, assuming he is willing, as Michael says, that is no dropoff. Nor do i expect a dropoff at HC from CP to Jimmy - no one too impressed with CP's motivational efforts, QB and receiver handling, or in-game strategery this past year. And certainly Jimmy gets most of the credit for recruiting, though i definitely think CP's steadiness and stellar reputation helped that a lot.
Be interesting to see if there is something else in the works (like SC calling ???), and if so, maybe coach K follows Pete. That to me would be the bigger loss, in addition to the upgrade at whatever rival school Pete goes to.

Captain 97
Posts: 267
Joined: Mon May 06, 2019 9:23 pm

Re: Pete stepping down, Jimmy is in.

Post by Captain 97 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:37 pm

Pete took an advisory position with the UW athletic department. I think he is tired of coaching. I don't think any other offers had anything to do with this.

Michael K.
Posts: 1081
Joined: Wed May 01, 2019 5:27 am

Re: Pete stepping down, Jimmy is in.

Post by Michael K. » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:31 pm

Captain 97 wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:37 pm
Pete took an advisory position with the UW athletic department. I think he is tired of coaching. I don't think any other offers had anything to do with this.
I agree. I think what he is tired of is the politics and the other stuff that comes with coaching. He may take another job in a couple years or so, but I doubt anything immediate. I think it is more likely that Jimmy was offered another job, and Pete took this opportunity to step away and let Washington keep Lake.

roosevelt
Posts: 142
Joined: Wed May 01, 2019 3:04 am

Re: Pete stepping down, Jimmy is in.

Post by roosevelt » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:04 pm

Interesting... I don't think Lake has been a Head Coach?

That's a whole different critter.

Michael K.
Posts: 1081
Joined: Wed May 01, 2019 5:27 am

Re: Pete stepping down, Jimmy is in.

Post by Michael K. » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:54 pm

roosevelt wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:04 pm
Interesting... I don't think Lake has been a Head Coach?

That's a whole different critter.
It is, but there is a track record of success with it. Seems that Oklahoma and Ohio State are happy with their coach in waiting who is no longer waiting. Didn't Penn State do the same? I think it would be easier to promote a coach from within and keep some of the staff intact than to have a new guy come in and want to bring his guys with him.

My hope is that since this is a pretty small change, that even if Lake gets rid of Hamden we won't lose recruits. What I REALLY hope is he relinquishes play calling duties to Kwiatkowski. Being a rookie Head Coach might be all he needs to worry about.

JAWA
Posts: 770
Joined: Thu May 02, 2019 12:47 am

Re: Pete stepping down, Jimmy is in.

Post by JAWA » Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:07 am

Vogelbomb must be head over heels about this, although Petersen wasn't fired.

I do appreciate what Coach Petersen did during his six years at the helm of the Dawgs. I wished he won more than one bowl game though.

57reasons
Posts: 287
Joined: Thu May 02, 2019 4:19 am
Location: 98118

Re: Pete stepping down, Jimmy is in.

Post by 57reasons » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:44 am

Michael K. wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:54 pm
roosevelt wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:04 pm
Interesting... I don't think Lake has been a Head Coach?

That's a whole different critter.
It is, but there is a track record of success with it. Seems that Oklahoma and Ohio State are happy with their coach in waiting who is no longer waiting. Didn't Penn State do the same? I think it would be easier to promote a coach from within and keep some of the staff intact than to have a new guy come in and want to bring his guys with him.

My hope is that since this is a pretty small change, that even if Lake gets rid of Hamden we won't lose recruits. What I REALLY hope is he relinquishes play calling duties to Kwiatkowski. Being a rookie Head Coach might be all he needs to worry about.
Agreed but i think even more of a consideration is preserving the recruiting class - not just this next one but '21 and '22 as well. Lake has been widely touted as our best key recruiter, and promoting him may actually increase key recruits' security, dispelling the oft-cast rumor of his impending departure. Just hoping coach K will stay to resume the DC job, and a capable OC can now be found - perfect opp for a Hamdan replacement - he being Petersen's guy, not Lake's.

Post Reply