Be Sweet as Sugar Bowl Game thread

Sibelius Hindemith

Re: Be Sweet as Sugar Bowl Game thread

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:29 am

I'm still in a state of disbelief that UW made the CFCG when they were barely able to get past WSU a month ago. I just can't reconcile those two things at the moment.

57reasons

Post by 57reasons » Wed Jan 03, 2024 3:18 am

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 12:29 am
I'm still in a state of disbelief that UW made the CFCG when they were barely able to get past WSU a month ago. I just can't reconcile those two things at the moment.
This team is just clutch, clutch, clutch. no other explanation.

and #9 just made himself a LOT of money last night. so many outside of scouts and the west coast were unaware just how special his arm talent is, but not anymore. owners and fan bases are gonna be salivating after seeing that and again perhaps at his pro day and combine. Teams will now have to slot him earlier, may have vaulted all the way from late 2nd round to top half of first.

Captain 97

Post by Captain 97 » Wed Jan 03, 2024 3:27 am

The one criticism that I have had on him is that he hasn't been great when under pressure. He sure silenced that last night. He looked so comfortable avoiding rushers and adjusting in the pocket without panicking or getting out of throwing rythem. Pretty much perfect QB play.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Jan 03, 2024 3:31 am

Captain 97 wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 3:27 am
The one criticism that I have had on him is that he hasn't been great when under pressure. He sure silenced that last night. He looked so comfortable avoiding rushers and adjusting in the pocket without panicking or getting out of throwing rythem. Pretty much perfect QB play.
Yep and seems the bigger the stage the better he plays.
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Wed Jan 03, 2024 5:03 pm

I was very impressed with his pocket presence. I know a lot of why he doesn't get sacked is due to his movement in the pocket, but he seemed even better Monday night. But the accuracy!? I guess a lot of the issues he had were in bad weather, but I don't remember the WSU QB struggling with accuracy as much as Penix. I really do think he was hurt in the first Oregon game and finally had time to heal up. I realize they blamed stomach cramps and later on the flu, but the pain he was in in the first Oregon game sure didn't look like cramps, it looked like busted ribs. I remember telling my buddy that I think we should bench him the next week, let him rest. Ended up being one of his worst games in a Husky uniform, but thanks to a pick six we won anyway. In hindsight? That might have been the week to rest him completely. I don't think Morris could have played any worse.

Of course, why question anything right now? Longest winning streak in CFB, and we are about to win a NC! I really have not seen a QB make the throws that Penix made on Monday night. Fricking amazing.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Fri Jan 05, 2024 2:55 pm

No. 4 Alabama's 27-20 overtime loss to No. 1 Michigan in the Rose Bowl signaled the end of one of college football's most impressive streaks. By failing to reach the College Football Playoff National Championship, the Crimson Tide will assuredly fall short of reaching No. 1 in the AP Top 25 for the first time since Nick Saban took over the program in 2007.

In 15 consecutive seasons from 2008-22, Alabama spent at least some time at No. 1.

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:22 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 2:55 pm
No. 4 Alabama's 27-20 overtime loss to No. 1 Michigan in the Rose Bowl signaled the end of one of college football's most impressive streaks. By failing to reach the College Football Playoff National Championship, the Crimson Tide will assuredly fall short of reaching No. 1 in the AP Top 25 for the first time since Nick Saban took over the program in 2007.

In 15 consecutive seasons from 2008-22, Alabama spent at least some time at No. 1.
Holy shit that is insane
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:27 pm

D-train wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:22 pm
Donn Beach wrote:

Holy shit that is insane
This also shows some of the bias towards the SEC. I'd like to know exactly how many polls in that time had a team other than an SEC team at #1. I bet the percentage of SEC teams that spend time at #1 is staggering. When you allow bias to enter the conversation? That's what you get. What was USC in the preseason poll this year? What was Washington? These guys don't know jack shit in July what is going to happen, but there is a vote anyway. And then? That bias comes into play. Sorry, I watched Colorado versus TCU and KNEW they weren't as good as everyone wanted them to be. Shit, they barely beat a Colorado State team that WSU had PUMMELED weeks earlier. Didn't matter...the votes liked the story, so team Sanders got votes.

The polls shouldn't even matter anymore, but you know damn good and well the committee pays attention to them.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Sat Jan 06, 2024 3:43 am

D-train wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2024 3:22 pm
Donn Beach wrote:

Holy shit that is insane

Another interesting streak. Steelers pulled off another winning season this year. That would make it 17 seasons in a row of none losing seasons. I think Mike Tomlin is kinda under appreciated

Coincidencly an article just came along my news feed that Tomlin is rumored to be fired. I don't follow Tomlin at all but that seems pretty unbelievable

The article centered on this, they are referring to his 17th none losing season
Kansas City Chiefs tight end Travis Kelce took issue with that. On Wednesday's episode of the New Heights podcast, Travis and brother Jason Kelce praised Tomlin for the achievement.

"How 'bout that!" Jason said. The brothers then noted that, only weeks before, people had assumed that Tomlin would be ousted — prompting a strong reaction from Travis.

"The media is so dumb," Travis said of the coverage of Tomlin's potential firing. "Why do we do the media? Just a bunch of jackasses. Just out here talking nonsense."
Fire him, that could be a PC replacement

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Jan 06, 2024 4:30 am

Steeler fan I chat with on X hates Tomlin worse than death. LOL
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (66.35 KiB) Viewed 288 times
dt