Breaking!!!!!!!!! Big 10 bound!!!!!!!!!!

D-train

Re: Breaking!!!!!!!!! Big 10 bound!!!!!!!!!!

Post by D-train » Sat Aug 05, 2023 3:18 pm

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2023 3:11 pm
My issue isn't with travel, where did you get that? It's about playing a bunch of teams that we have no history with.

Yep, money and winning is all that matters. Screw tradition and rivalries and continuity.

And no, the Apple Cup will not survive this either.
I got it from the Seattle Times. We will still play UCLA, USC and Oregon and WSU in the Apple Cup as a Non Con game....
dt

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Sat Aug 05, 2023 4:08 pm

What, this year? Beyond that why would a gutted WSU football program want to continue it unless UW gave them all the proceeds.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Aug 05, 2023 4:11 pm

The Apple Cup will go on. Book it. The only teams we won't be playing every year are the Beaves, Colorado, Utah, Bay area schools and the Arizonas. None were remotely UW rivalries.....
dt

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Sat Aug 05, 2023 5:16 pm

UW certainly has a rivalry with Cal, Stanford, and OSU. The others not so much.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Sat Aug 05, 2023 6:37 pm

My issue isn't with travel, where did you get that? It's about playing a bunch of teams that we have no history with.

Yep, money and winning is all that matters. Screw tradition and rivalries and continuity.

So, USC and Stanford played Norte Dame every damn year, but there is no way the Civil War and AC can survive? Why?

Washington and Oregon will play the last weekend if every season, when Ohio St plays Michigan. USC will play UCLA then too. But I promise you the Civil War and AC will live on. I feel bad for WSU and Oregon St, but the alternative was that the Husky program dies. Sorry, no thanks.

57reasons

Post by 57reasons » Sun Aug 06, 2023 3:13 am

Michael K. wrote:
Sat Aug 05, 2023 6:37 pm

So, USC and Stanford played Norte Dame every damn year, but there is no way the Civil War and AC can survive? Why?

Washington and Oregon will play the last weekend if every season, when Ohio St plays Michigan. USC will play UCLA then too. But I promise you the Civil War and AC will live on. I feel bad for WSU and Oregon St, but the alternative was that the Husky program dies. Sorry, no thanks.
Wazzu and OSU will not actually be hurt that bad either - rather than continuing as the small fish in a big pond, assuming they move to Mountain West, or just as likely, the Mountain West and Pac combine, they now suddenly become a bigger fish in relative to their competitors. Sure it's a lesser league than the Power 5 they're used to, but might actually enjoy more winning seasons now.

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Sun Aug 06, 2023 3:15 pm

They will take a financial hit and they won't necessarily be a bigger fish than other MWAC schools once their coaching staff leaves and their recruiting dries up.

Captain 97

Post by Captain 97 » Mon Aug 07, 2023 5:07 pm

Iowa State and Iowa play every year and they have never been in the same conference. The Apple Cup is going no where.

Walla Walla Dawg II

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Mon Aug 07, 2023 6:32 pm

Captain 97 wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2023 5:07 pm

Iowa State and Iowa play every year and they have never been in the same conference. The Apple Cup is going no where.
That may be true, but it won't have the same meaning. It will be for a shitty looking trophy and only for that shitty looking trophy;
No more implications to the conference record....how many times did the game decide who went to the Rose Bowl (or championship game).

Captain 97

Post by Captain 97 » Mon Aug 07, 2023 8:20 pm

Walla Walla Dawg II wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2023 6:32 pm
Captain 97 wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2023 5:07 pm

That may be true, but it won't have the same meaning. It will be for a shitty looking trophy and only for that shitty looking trophy;
No more implications to the conference record....how many times did the game decide who went to the Rose Bowl (or championship game).
Maybe 2 or 3 in 100 years. WSU is not that relevant. :lol: