Be Sweet as Sugar Bowl Game thread

Fungo

Re: Be Sweet as Sugar Bowl Game thread

Post by Fungo » Tue Jan 02, 2024 6:01 am

Captain 97 wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 5:55 am
It was really dumb running Johnson up the middle 3 times. Risk a fumble and obviously the injury that happened. Just kneel 3 times and punt with 15 seconds left. It's not rocket science.
Yeah for sure but I bet he was begging to finish it out

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Tue Jan 02, 2024 6:02 am

Penix was an absolute GUNSLINGER today. But he might have to be Superman next week since UW won't have a starting quality RB now.

DavidGee24

Post by DavidGee24 » Tue Jan 02, 2024 6:02 am

That is just bullshit that they stop the clock when your player gets hurt (and DJ needed to hop his ass off the field) and it doesn't benefit you. STUPID rule. What's to stop the other team from rolling on your leg to stop the clock?

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Tue Jan 02, 2024 6:08 am

I was thinking just that. Wouldn't be surprised if they were trying to injure him given the stakes.

ddraig

Post by ddraig » Tue Jan 02, 2024 6:15 am

Knowing what we know about Sark, it wouldn't surprise me, either.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Tue Jan 02, 2024 6:31 am

Thinking we've gotten even with sark over the years, beat him up a few times

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Tue Jan 02, 2024 6:38 am

Guy was basically drunk the whole time he was here. It's amazing he had as much success as he did. Have to give him props for getting UW football back on track after he-who-shall-not-be-named was done with his demolition of it. Who knows, UW may have driven him back to the bottle with that devastating defeat. :lol:

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Tue Jan 02, 2024 6:52 am

I understood why they ran instead of took a knee...a first down wins the game. What I didn't understand was the third down play before the FG. Make them burn a timeout. If you aren't going to run, why not run a bubble screen or something quick hitting. Or? Just tell Penix if he doesn't have his first read tuck it and run. Stopping the clock without forcing the timeout is THE reason we couldn't ice the game late.

I also didn't like the dive play on fourth down. Those two Ogres in the middle of their defense are killers. If your are gonna pass on the FG, which sure woulda been nice to have at the end right? But if you are going to pass on three points, don't ask our 275 lb Center to win against Sweat and Murphy!

Seattle or Bust

Post by Seattle or Bust » Tue Jan 02, 2024 6:58 am

To the natty boys.

LFG.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:04 am

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Tue Jan 02, 2024 6:38 am
Guy was basically drunk the whole time he was here. It's amazing he had as much success as he did. Have to give him props for getting UW football back on track after he-who-shall-not-be-named was done with his demolition of it. Who knows, UW may have driven him back to the bottle with that devastating defeat. :lol:
That's right, the drinking. He's considered the only coach to use the UW as a stepping stone other than Darrell Royal.
Twenty-two months after resigning as the UW coach, Sarkisian readied his 17th-ranked USC football team to host the Huskies at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum in 2015. The Trojans were 16.5-point favorites. They were the Pac-12 preseason favorites. They lost.

In a Thursday night game shown on ESPN, the Huskies came in and manhandled Sarkisian's team. Freshmen quarterback Jake Browning and running back Myles Gaskin had breakout days in a big game, with Gaskin rushing for 134 yards. Wide receiver Marvin Hall threw a touchdown pass to tight end Josh Perkins. Mostly, the UW simply was a lot tougher than Sark's Trojans that day, with linebacker Azeem Victor further setting the tone with a targeting call that got him ejected..

The five-point defeat proved to be a disaster for Sarkisian. With the school becoming increasingly aware he had a drinking problem, showing up at practices and alumni functions inebriated, athletic director Pat Haden first asked the coach to take a leave of absence and then fired him on the Monday following the game,
I'll give him credit for rebounding