Recruiting -- What's left?

Vogelbomb

Recruiting -- What's left?

Post by Vogelbomb » Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:19 am

Now that Smalls is aboard (FUCK YES!! GOD THAT FEELS GOOD TO SAY) where does Jimmy Lake, Will Harris, Iakika Malloe, Bush Hamdan and Junior Adams turn their attention? First a look at the numbers because that's essential.

By my count, Huskies are at the scholarship limit of 85 even with the Haener transfer, having awarded senior walk-on DT John Clark a full ride along with DT Josiah Bronson. (Correct me if I'm wrong). I also count a senior scholarship class of 16 set to graduate. My underclassmen likely draft entrants is 3 (Eason, Bryant and Molden). Throw in a few transfer or retirement candidates, who knows how likely? (Pleasant, Chin, Gilchrist) Probably none, too hard to predict. That's 19 schollies available and right now UW has 20 commitments for 2020 class. Doesn't leave much room if any.

We also have to factor in 2017 signee and Mormon mission DE prospect Jordan Lolohea who joins the 2020 class I believe. So that's 21 guys. My guess there's maybe 1 or 2 spots if nobody decommits. It would seem like the UW staff is going to narrow their focus and start pursuing some big fish still swimming in the lake.

CB Kelee Ringo
ILB Noah Sewell
WR Gary Bryant Jr.
WR LV Bunkley-Shelton
DE Xavier Carlton
CB Ayden Hector?

I'm not sure who to start tracking in the recruiting game at this point. There's probably going to be some surprises. UW moving onto some prospects that we haven't really seen them go after too hard yet, see if they can get in. Maybe some decommits come on the market. I'm just expecting some surprises here. Other than that, I want to see UW add Ringo and Bryant Jr. who was spotted at USC game Saturday with UW WR alums Jermaine Kearse and Dante Pettis. Not bad company to hang with.

Go Dawgs.

57reasons

Re: Recruiting -- What's left?

Post by 57reasons » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:44 am

what makes you think they could land Ringo or Sewell? i think they'd have to make room for either, but havent heard any news of their interest that, and cant imagine a 5-star elite CB Ringo wanting to come here and have to fight for PT with the likes of McDuffie, Taylor, Molden and Gordon, as good as they've looked so far. with all that depth, i dont see a spot for Hector either. If Bryant or Carlton wants in (or Ringo or Sewall), you make room. everyone else i dont think so.
as for the Clarks of the world who were recent scholly awards, arent those one-year deals that they could take back if needed if another spot is needed for a real high profile guy?

Vogelbomb

Post by Vogelbomb » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:41 pm

57reasons wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:44 am
what makes you think they could land Ringo or Sewell? i think they'd have to make room for either, but havent heard any news of their interest that, and cant imagine a 5-star elite CB Ringo wanting to come here and have to fight for PT with the likes of McDuffie, Taylor, Molden and Gordon, as good as they've looked so far. with all that depth, i dont see a spot for Hector either. If Bryant or Carlton wants in (or Ringo or Sewall), you make room. everyone else i dont think so.
as for the Clarks of the world who were recent scholly awards, arent those one-year deals that they could take back if needed if another spot is needed for a real high profile guy?
We were Ringo's top priority about 6 months ago according to 247 so he has shown interest. From what I can tell he has yet to make any official visits. According to 247 he's favoring Georgia, was previously favoring Texas. Both those programs also have elite talent currently in the secondary. IE he's going to have to compete for PT wherever he goes. And given his talent level, he shouldn't have any concern about not seeing time right away. Just comparing him to McDuffie and Cam Will who have burst on the scene this yr for UW as starters, he's better and would be able to surpass them or another guy at a different spot.

Again, I don't know where we are with any of the others. I was just going off of the offers that we have still out there to uncommitted prospects. It just seems that we'll be targeting the trophy fish now.

57reasons

Post by 57reasons » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:23 am

Vogelbomb wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:41 pm
57reasons wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:44 am
We were Ringo's top priority about 6 months ago according to 247 so he has shown interest. From what I can tell he has yet to make any official visits. According to 247 he's favoring Georgia, was previously favoring Texas. Both those programs also have elite talent currently in the secondary. IE he's going to have to compete for PT wherever he goes. And given his talent level, he shouldn't have any concern about not seeing time right away. Just comparing him to McDuffie and Cam Will who have burst on the scene this yr for UW as starters, he's better and would be able to surpass them or another guy at a different spot.

Again, I don't know where we are with any of the others. I was just going off of the offers that we have still out there to uncommitted prospects. It just seems that we'll be targeting the trophy fish now.
Amen, definitely time to be choosy, which is why i dont think there's a spot for Hector anymore. not sure i agree with the decision, or even true, but a commenter on realdawg said that Jordan Banks is no longer welcome now that Smalls has announced. would be really nice if Gilchrist would transfer somewhere he can actually get some PT - aint happenin' here. could maybe see that also for Julius Irvin even, whom they were gushing over less than a year ago. The secondary is just so stacked right now, especially considering McDuffie, Gordon, CamWill and Turner are ALL freshmen - insane!!!

Vogelbomb

Post by Vogelbomb » Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:01 am

I have big hopes still for Irvin. I wish our media would continue to ask about him to get the updates. He's like the forgotten kid right now. From what I remember he has a mild injury and should be able to participate this season. He'll probably end up being that 4th year and 5th year stud safety that helps us dominate in 2021 and 2022

57reasons

Post by 57reasons » Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:36 am

Vogelbomb wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:01 am
I have big hopes still for Irvin. I wish our media would continue to ask about him to get the updates. He's like the forgotten kid right now. From what I remember he has a mild injury and should be able to participate this season. He'll probably end up being that 4th year and 5th year stud safety that helps us dominate in 2021 and 2022
but who's he gonna jump - CamWill or Turner? both those guys have pretty high ceilings too (NFL worthy) and ascended to starting roles despite being a year behind him (injury issue noted).

Vogelbomb

Post by Vogelbomb » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:22 am

57reasons wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 2:36 am
Vogelbomb wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:01 am
but who's he gonna jump - CamWill or Turner? both those guys have pretty high ceilings too (NFL worthy) and ascended to starting roles despite being a year behind him (injury issue noted).
Well, he doesn't necessarily have to jump either. We run a defense with at least 5 DBs almost the entire game. Sometimes 6 play for 20-30 percent of snaps depending on the opponent. We're seeing Turner play slot corner right now, though I would think he'd move back to the strong safety spot and move Cam Wil to FS exclusively (he and Bryant seem to rotate between SS and FS from my view). I think Irvin has been rotated between corner and safety like Bryant is so I mean I can see him taking a safety job or one of the 3 corner jobs as early as next season. And that's not even to talk about prospect of injuries popping up.

Vogelbomb

Post by Vogelbomb » Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:24 am

And Caple wrote on the Athletic that he spotted Irvin on a kickoff vs USC to make his 2019 debut. I don't always get thru all 10 (besides the K/P) guys on the field for that play so I missed this but yeah, sounds like he played last week.

Vogelbomb

Post by Vogelbomb » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:09 pm

Now that Covington has dropped out, it is more important than ever that we get in HARD on his HS teammate Ringo. Ringo was just up in the PNW taking a visit to Oregon. He's obviously willing to come up to PNW. We were close to if not no.1 with Ringo back in late winter early spring. Sell out for him. He's the missing piece to 2020-24 dominance

Vogelbomb

Post by Vogelbomb » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:14 pm

Going to bump this up. 12 days until early signing day. What's left on the wish list? Xavier Carlton de, Jack Yary Te and LV Bunkley-Shelton wr due for visits over the next 8 days (LV is in tonight) .. Anyone else?

I'm going to say it again, I hope Lake is going hard after Ringo. Covington also needs to be brought back.