I'm ready to fire Petersen. Promote Lake

Donn Beach

Re: I'm ready to fire Petersen. Promote Lake

Post by Donn Beach » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:36 am

well for me it doesn't make any difference how many straight run plays have been called, you still have to defend the pass, i would have to assume the qb is looking to audible out of a run play if he is seeing the safety has moved up

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:44 am

Vogelbomb wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:08 am
I never mentioned their alignment. That's to prevent big plays and has helped UW defense to keep opponents under 27 points (mostly under 21) for 22 consecutive games, helped the defense to be best scoring defense in the Pac12 4 yrs running and t10 nationally in that same span.

The defense -- despite all the youth and undersized back end -- is not the problem. Thanks to Lake and coach K
They were 20 yards off the ball against a 3rd string QB. Sorry, that was stupid...and a big reason Stanford simply ran out the clock.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:17 am

That mighty UCLA defense whooping Stanford right now. I guess Jimmy is coaching the Bruin defense now? Nope, they understand it is a shitty O Line and a crummy QB....so someone besides Jimmy figured out that it isnt the Air Raid and took away the run game.

This should be an embarrassment for anyone that coached or played in Palo Alto a couple weeks ago. Not since I watched a #1 ranked Washington team lead by Tom Flick at QB lose to Navy was I as disappointed in a Husky team. And I was like 7 years old then!

Captain 97

Post by Captain 97 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:10 pm

I am as disappointed as anyone about the Cal and Stanford games but lets have some perspective. The guy is the only coach in the History of the school to win 10 games in 3 consecutive years and you want to run him out of town because the team is 5-2. Don James had a 6-5 record in 1988 you probably would have fired him and promoted Lambright that year.

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:19 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:17 am
That mighty UCLA defense whooping Stanford right now. I guess Jimmy is coaching the Bruin defense now? Nope, they understand it is a shitty O Line and a crummy QB....so someone besides Jimmy figured out that it isnt the Air Raid and took away the run game.

This should be an embarrassment for anyone that coached or played in Palo Alto a couple weeks ago. Not since I watched a #1 ranked Washington team lead by Tom Flick at QB lose to Navy was I as disappointed in a Husky team. And I was like 7 years old then!
I was at the 1985 upset loss to the Beavers............ :(
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:12 pm

Captain 97 wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:10 pm
I am as disappointed as anyone about the Cal and Stanford games but lets have some perspective. The guy is the only coach in the History of the school to win 10 games in 3 consecutive years and you want to run him out of town because the team is 5-2. Don James had a 6-5 record in 1988 you probably would have fired him and promoted Lambright that year.
I don't want Pete gone by any stretch...but I am tired of the Jimmy Love. Besides shutting down the Air Raid, what has he done? He has recruited...and told us all about it. He only gets NFL DBs. Does he realize there are 6 or 7 guys that play in front of the DBs?

He has been schooled in every Bowl Game. Both Bay Area schools have kicked his ass twice, he couldn't hold two or three different late leads to Oregon, and Auburn worked us over.

Besides beating some middle of the rankings Pac 12 teams with limited offenses like Utah and Colorado, what has this star studded defense accomplished under Jimmy the Great?

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:14 pm

D-train wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:19 pm
Michael K. wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 2:17 am

I was at the 1985 upset loss to the Beavers............ :(
I listened to it in the radio. Turned it off pretty early.

Vogelbomb

Post by Vogelbomb » Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:03 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:12 pm
Captain 97 wrote:
Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:10 pm
I don't want Pete gone by any stretch...but I am tired of the Jimmy Love. Besides shutting down the Air Raid, what has he done? He has recruited...and told us all about it. He only gets NFL DBs. Does he realize there are 6 or 7 guys that play in front of the DBs?

He has been schooled in every Bowl Game. Both Bay Area schools have kicked his ass twice, he couldn't hold two or three different late leads to Oregon, and Auburn worked us over.

Besides beating some middle of the rankings Pac 12 teams with limited offenses like Utah and Colorado, what has this star studded defense accomplished under Jimmy the Great?
Bro, I've literally filled this thread with his accolades. Year after year brings in top secondary talent. He's probably got his hands on defensive line and linebacker recruiting as well. 4 yrs running top scoring defense in the conference and t5 in the nation last two years. What do you mean "what has he done?"

More like what has Petersen done? The Pac-12 has been nothing in 2016-2018. Down league. We should have had 3 conference titles. Only got two because of terrible losses to unranked squads far beneath our talent level. Do you see any improvement yr to yr in system? No. There's no improvement in how the offense executes. We've been talking about redzone issues since Petersen got here.

Meanwhile all Lake does is take the defense and make it better and better every yr. Setting new records for ppg and ypg allowed.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:55 pm

What has he done, is probably harsh. I would just like to see this All World Defense donit against the top competition, and not get pushed around when a team plays actual football instead of running the spread.

57reasons

Post by 57reasons » Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:30 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:55 pm
What has he done, is probably harsh. I would just like to see this All World Defense donit against the top competition, and not get pushed around when a team plays actual football instead of running the spread.
we'll get there MK, just not this year with the D way too young and thin upfront. but next year it should start the return closer to the Death Row that held Bama to 24 points in the CFP. Still have the all-world talent in the secondary, but Cam Will and Turner will be one year older and more experienced. Offensively the midget receivers will be gone, replaced by Puka, Ty Jones and the incoming McMillan (and hopefully Bryant). Mele getting time at C this year is huge going forward; the problem next year will be at OT replacing both starters. Bet Rosengarten steps in as true frosh though, and by '21 is playing at a high level much like Adams did in his first two years. If Eason returns, which is looking more and more likely, could be back to a 2-loss season next year. after that the cast should be stacked enough that it's just up to the new QB's development (Huard or Morris) to make another CFP run.