Two SEC teams in the play-offs, just like I told you

Sibelius Hindemith

Re: Two SEC teams in the play-offs, just like I told you

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:11 am

Well, there it is. LSU, Ohio St, Clemson, Oklahoma.

Just like i called it...

:( :? :o

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Sun Dec 08, 2019 1:15 am

Should we assume Clemson gets in if they lose to Virginia? I guess if Georgia had beaten LSU things could have gotten interesting.

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Sun Dec 08, 2019 5:43 am

I've said this since their inception, and I'll continue saying it until they go away: these Conference Championship games are utterly retarded, meaningless contests 100% about generating revenue. Does anyone think that if Wisconsin had beaten Ohio St that they would be going to the playoffs instead of the Buckeyes? Same thing with Virginia and Clemson. One of the problems is that in these 2-division conferences, you often don't have the two best teams in the conference playing for these "championships" because (like with the Big Ten this year) two or three of the best teams in the conference are in the same division.

And again, for the umpteenth time, it's just one more game. In determining the CFP rankings there is nothing special about these conference championship games except that if the two teams are both in the top 4, the one that loses will be eliminated from the playoff. It's just utterly vacuous.

57reasons

Post by 57reasons » Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:57 am

In years such as this when i dont have a horse in the race, i always root for chaos/controversy, such as might tip the scales more toward a larger field playoffs (i think 8 would be great). unfortunately this year we didnt even get that. but for once we got a Bama-less playoffs, so at least some small consolation.

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:12 pm

That is a nice group of teams. Very happy Alabama is out. All of the Power FOUR conferences represented.
dt

DavidGee24

Post by DavidGee24 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:13 pm

57reasons wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:57 am
In years such as this when i dont have a horse in the race, i always root for chaos/controversy, such as might tip the scales more toward a larger field playoffs (i think 8 would be great). unfortunately this year we didnt even get that. but for once we got a Bama-less playoffs, so at least some small consolation.
I think eight would be perfect. The five major conference champions (Pac-12, Big-12, Big-10, SEC, ACC) and three at-large teams where you'd get the two or three best teams that don't win the conference championship and the best team that isn't in a major conference would sometimes get a shot. This year it would be:

LSU)/Wisconsin
Ohio St/Baylor
Clemson/Oregon
Oklahoma/Georgia

Where this would really work is that the Pac-12 champ would be in, and most other years this would work out even better, such as two years ago where unbeaten Central Florida and one-loss Wisconsin would have been in.

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:17 pm

WSU going to the CHEEZ-IT Bowl lol.

57reasons

Post by 57reasons » Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:59 pm

D-train wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:12 pm
That is a nice group of teams. Very happy Alabama is out. All of the Power FOUR conferences represented.
THAT i still dont get - what makes the ACC such a Power(ful) 5 conference? on balance i would take the Pac12 EVERY year for the past 10 at least, if top to bottom each team played each other once. They have ONE elite team in Clemson, and nothing else. when your second best team every year for the last decade is Miami, Florida State, or Louisville you have nothing to crow about. even going back to Jameis Winston - back then clemson wasnt as great.

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:21 pm

DavidGee24 wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:13 pm
57reasons wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:57 am
I think eight would be perfect. The five major conference champions (Pac-12, Big-12, Big-10, SEC, ACC) and three at-large teams where you'd get the two or three best teams that don't win the conference championship and the best team that isn't in a major conference would sometimes get a shot. This year it would be:

LSU)/Wisconsin
Ohio St/Baylor
Clemson/Oregon
Oklahoma/Georgia

Where this would really work is that the Pac-12 champ would be in, and most other years this would work out even better, such as two years ago where unbeaten Central Florida and one-loss Wisconsin would have been in.
Yep. 8 teams is baby bear. Jussst Right.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:22 pm

57reasons wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:59 pm
D-train wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 5:12 pm
THAT i still dont get - what makes the ACC such a Power(ful) 5 conference? on balance i would take the Pac12 EVERY year for the past 10 at least, if top to bottom each team played each other once. They have ONE elite team in Clemson, and nothing else. when your second best team every year for the last decade is Miami, Florida State, or Louisville you have nothing to crow about. even going back to Jameis Winston - back then clemson wasnt as great.
When it comes to a four team playoff they only need one elite team.
dt