Two SEC teams in the play-offs, just like I told you

Sibelius Hindemith

Two SEC teams in the play-offs, just like I told you

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:46 am

Yeah, it's a heady subject line, but what the heck. I look forward to rubbing it in on the know-it-alls who keep insisting than only one SEC team can get in. But this is the way I see it going down....

Winner of SEC championship between Georgia and LSU gets in (obviously).
If Georgia is the winner of that game, then LSU also gets into the playoff.
If LSU is the winner of that game, then Alabama also gets into the playoff.

Ohio St and Clemson take the other two slots.

No Pac12 or Big12 team get in.

There ya have it.

IStillLoveTheMs

Re: Two SEC teams in the play-offs, just like I told you

Post by IStillLoveTheMs » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:25 am

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:46 am
Yeah, it's a heady subject line, but what the heck. I look forward to rubbing it in on the know-it-alls who keep insisting than only one SEC team can get in. But this is the way I see it going down....

Winner of SEC championship between Georgia and LSU gets in (obviously).
If Georgia is the winner of that game, then LSU also gets into the playoff.
If LSU is the winner of that game, then Alabama also gets into the playoff.

Ohio St and Clemson take the other two slots.

No Pac12 or Big12 team get in.

There ya have it.
Probably how it should be.

Utah didn't play anyone in their non-conference. They lost to SC which while it doesn't look terrible, isn't impressive either.

Oregon lost to what is probably going to end up being the 5th or 6th team in the SEC. They only beat what is an OK UW team by 4 and looked outclassed for most of the game, only beat a terrible WSU team by 3.

Neither played one another in the regular season to get a boost.

WSU and Washington didn't help either team... both squads started in the top 25 and rapidly fell off a cliff... WSU is currently 1-5 in conference, UW will likely end up 8-4 but losing to a shitty CAL squad and Stanford killed both Oregon and Utah's chance at a win against a real top-25 UW squad and boost their resume. Oregon needed UW to be undefeated heading into that game, Utah needed UW to have only the 1 loss to Oregon.

They aren't letting Baylor in even if they go undefeated. Their non-conference games were right there with WSU in terms of some of the worst crap crap ever scheduled.

Baylor needed Oklahoma to be undefeated before their matchup for it to matter and to have a shot.

Oklahoma's non-conference schedule also looks like utter shit now... and they lost to a UW-level Kansas St. squad. So they don't deserve it.

If Alabama wins out their worst loss is to the #2 team in the country by 5... B12 and P12 can't compete with that.

If Georgia wins out they will have beaten LSU... same story.

DavidGee24

Post by DavidGee24 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:46 pm

It's about putting who's regarded as the four best teams in the playoff regardless of conference. A few years ago Alabama made the playoff having lost a conference game and not even playing in conference title game. Stupid football fans bitched, and then Alabama smoked both opponents to win the championship, obliterating that argument. If they're in that top four again they get in, as it should be.

A Final Four of Ohio State/Clemson/LSU/Alabama would be awesome. Utah and Oregon aren't even close to being good enough to competing with those teams.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:55 pm

Not sure who you are calling know it alls, but no one has said the SEC can’t or won’t get two teams.

IStillLoveTheMs

Post by IStillLoveTheMs » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:32 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:55 pm
Not sure who you are calling know it alls, but no one has said the SEC can’t or won’t get two teams.
Yeah I'm not sure who the title is referring to either. Pac 12 was always a crapshoot to make it after Oregon lost to Auburn.

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:02 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:55 pm
Yeah, actually I think it was just one guy. But I'm still going to rub it in (unless I'm wrong). :lol:

Besides, the vast majority of you who have posted on ST forums over the years always claim that the SEC is overrated and that East-coast bias helps them in the rankings, etc.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:20 pm

Being over rated and the east coast bias would actually make it EASIER for them to get two teams in. So, once again, this is a confusing topic.

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:36 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:20 pm
Being over rated and the east coast bias would actually make it EASIER for them to get two teams in. So, once again, this is a confusing topic.
Yet when I predicted 2 months ago that two SEC teams would get into the playoff nobody seemed to agree. Very confusing.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:41 pm

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:36 pm
Michael K. wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:20 pm
Yet when I predicted 2 months ago that two SEC teams would get into the playoff nobody seemed to agree. Very confusing.
Must have been a conversation I paid little attention to. Maybe because it was a discussion about something that wouldn’t be relevant for four months?

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:10 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:41 pm
Must have been a conversation I paid little attention to. Maybe because it was a discussion about something that wouldn’t be relevant for four months?
How is a discussion about the playoffs not relevant on a college football forum while the season is in play?

Also, with regard to the rankings and east coast bias, people have been saying for the longest time that SEC teams start the season ranked too high. That clearly wasn't the case this year nor has it been for several years.