Pete stepping down, Jimmy is in.

57reasons

Re: Pete stepping down, Jimmy is in.

Post by 57reasons » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:56 am

another reason for you especially to be hopeful Michael, in terms of the OC spot - Petersen came in with the rep of an offensive ingenue, with the trick play Orange bowl upset of Oklahoma and the smurf turf intrigue, which might have caused more qualified offensive coaches to shy away, preferring more autonomy. never know, but that might have played a part in CP having to settle for Smith and Hamdan. No such threat in Lake as a purely defensive coach to date.

Captain 97

Post by Captain 97 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:39 pm

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:52 pm
I guess Eason is gone now. :(
I don't think this has one ounce of an effect on Eason's decision. He wasn't here because he loved Peterson. If that were the case he wouldn't have gone to Georgia in the first place. He will make a business decision based on weather or not coming back will increase his draft stock enough to make it worth it. Simple as that.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:47 pm

Captain 97 wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:39 pm
Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:52 pm
I guess Eason is gone now. :(
I don't think this has one ounce of an effect on Eason's decision. He wasn't here because he loved Peterson. If that were the case he wouldn't have gone to Georgia in the first place. He will make a business decision based on weather or not coming back will increase his draft stock enough to make it worth it. Simple as that.
Yep, and I think a lot of it will be who will be coaching him next year. Seriously, I have heard enough people mention the Spring and Summer BS QB controversy and the WildCat plays to Pleasant as reasons Eason is upset with this staff. If he gets some assurances that things will be different? He may look at what Herbert did in coming back and think this team has a shot at a North Championship and potentially winning the Conference.

If he doesn't, there will be an ACTUAL QB controversy this Spring and Summer, one that I think will be won by Morris. I hope the new OC can figure out a way to turn Ahmed into more than a track athlete if that is the case. The ground game is just confusing to me. A veteran O Line and we could just be completely taken out of the ground game by bad defenses sending run blitzes at us? The way we got physically dominated by Cal, Stanford and Colorado was very puzzling to me. We should have been able to run on just about anyone, and if we couldn't it should have been because they were totally stacking the box and opening up the passing offense. Non of that was true.

57reasons

Post by 57reasons » Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:27 pm

I would not be so sure that Ahmed is returning. we all know what a short shelf-life RBs have, and he has already had leg/knee issues. combined with 3 OL starters departing, he might be more of a threat to leave than Eason.
also interesting from today's presser that Lake suggesting a more aggressive O, with suggestion of possibly more mobile QB. we'll see how far that goes as it would not seem to fit ANY of Eason, Sirmon, Morris, Garbers or Huard.
if we do lose Eason, i see there is a former 4-star previous starter QB from South Carolina entering portal for his final year who is considering UW, UO, and Utah - similar story to Eason as a prior starter shelved by injury then down on the depth chart.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:03 pm

A more mobile QB wouldn't hurt my feelings. But, I don't see how we can give up on the guys in the system now. As you said, they aren't exactly dual threats...that guy transferred out because, according to his coaches, he couldn't beat out Jake Haener. Man, I love Chris Petersen, but what has gone on with the offense here is very strange.

Captain 97

Post by Captain 97 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:12 am

57reasons wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:27 pm
I would not be so sure that Ahmed is returning. we all know what a short shelf-life RBs have, and he has already had leg/knee issues. combined with 3 OL starters departing, he might be more of a threat to leave than Eason.
also interesting from today's presser that Lake suggesting a more aggressive O, with suggestion of possibly more mobile QB. we'll see how far that goes as it would not seem to fit ANY of Eason, Sirmon, Morris, Garbers or Huard.
if we do lose Eason, i see there is a former 4-star previous starter QB from South Carolina entering portal for his final year who is considering UW, UO, and Utah - similar story to Eason as a prior starter shelved by injury then down on the depth chart.
What do you think he is going to do, go play in the CFL? Ahmed is not an NFL level talent.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:22 am

Captain 97 wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:12 am
57reasons wrote:
What do you think he is going to do, go play in the CFL? Ahmed is not an NFL level talent.
XFL!
dt

57reasons

Post by 57reasons » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:01 am

Captain 97 wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:12 am
57reasons wrote:
assuming he passes medical at the combine, bet the house he is drafted higher than Gaskin. not saying he's better, I'm saying scouts like seeing the numbers 4.3 40 in succession.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:41 pm

Didn't Ahmed and Gaskin race and each win once? My guess is Ahmed doesn't run 4.3 at the combine. My other guess is his complete inability to run between the tackles, to be much more than a gadget guy for the first two years of his career wont be forgotten...mostly because he didn't do a ton to change that narrative this year.

There is zero chance he is a better back than Gaskin.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:44 pm