Of the draft eligibles, who leaves?

Vogelbomb

Of the draft eligibles, who leaves?

Post by Vogelbomb » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:21 pm

Despite a horrid, HORRID 7-5 season which even in my most pessimistic thoughts on the year I never came close to envisioning, the Huskies have a host of draft eligible sophs and juniors who have an important decision to make over the next six weeks -- return to UW or enter the NFL draft. Let's first go over the players (and I'm just going to look at starters, including backups on here would be pretty pointless).
CB Elijah Molden JR
CB Keith Taylor JR
DT Levi Onwuzurike JR*
DE/OLB Joe Tryon SO*
OLB Ryan Bowman JR*
QB Jacob Eason JR*
TE Hunter Bryant JR
TE Cade Otton JR
RB Sahvon Ahmed JR
OL Jaxson Kirkland SO*

Looking at that list of 10 guys, guys that are going to be in the P12 1st and 2nd team lists for the most part, they got decisions to make.
Likely Return:
Otton
Ahmed
Onwuzurike
Kirkland
Bowman
Tryon
Likely NFL
Eason
Bryant
Unsure
Molden
Taylor

The likely returnees in my book just didn't put their best foot forward this season and have high enough ceilings where another year in which they play up to their capabilities will improve their stock greatly. Cade Otton is the lone exception here. He played outstanding but probably could still improve his stock. Tryon is the other kid rising high in that list. Finished strong. Levi was pretty solid throughout but not spectacular in any games that would have him seriously considering leaving. He's probably thinking about having a huge sr year.

Likely gone Eason and Hunter. Eason's going to put on a show in the bowl game and at the combine. I think he's actually sitting in a good spot, mid to late first round. He's going to go to a team like San Diego or Carolina or even New England, a team that has talent on the roster and can help him have success immediately. If I were Eason I'd be ecstatic about that moreso than possibly going t10. How'd that help Josh Rosen? Bryant meanwhile just seems like he's hit his ceiling. NFL scouts are high on him and won't likely elevate him any higher plus the injury risk. He's a 2nd rd pick likely.

In the unsure of group, the two starting corners. On the one hand I think both are in that 2-4 round mix. Not truly at their ceiling but both showed well enough and will do well enough in the combine to get mid round grades. Molden had the better season of the two and probably has the tougher decision. I really don't know what either is thinking right now. I'd probably come back if I were them.

Will be interesting to see what happens. The secondary would be in good shape if Molden and Taylor return

57reasons

Re: Of the draft eligibles, who leaves?

Post by 57reasons » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:11 pm

i mostly agree, but would reverse the order of Molden and Taylor, who to me, has much more upside at the pro level than Alex does, if for no other reason than his size. Taylor really exceeded my expectations this year, vastly improving from prior; whereas Molden flashed early and seems to have plateaued. I'd put Ahmed more like even odds, and maybe Otton too - enough track record there now with Dissly/Sample that scouts are likely well aware already, so senior year might not be necessary. with a good next year both Levi and especially Tryon could really make some money.

Vogelbomb

Post by Vogelbomb » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:01 pm

57 - interesting comments on Taylor and Molden. I thought Taylor struggled at times this season -- and Molden certainly had rough moments as well, I think it was Stanford game and Utah (I have to go back and watch) maybe -- and then didn't really see much tough WR/QB play against him... Idk, I think he's not getting a lot of attention right now. He needs to make more plays imo.

Your thoughts on Sahvon are legit though. Might be time for him

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:20 pm

Not sure what anyone has seen from Ahmed to say he should go pro. Gaskin leaves, and he STILL wasn't the best back on the team.

Captain 97

Post by Captain 97 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:02 am

I pretty much agree with your list. I don't think I see Molden or Taylor going anywhere near the 2nd round though. I think 4th is pretty optimistic for them and more likely 5th or 6th.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:33 am

I definitely think Bryant will go. :)
dt