Five Stars and two Scholarships....

D-train

Re: Five Stars and two Scholarships....

Post by D-train » Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:04 pm

dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:17 pm

“He’s 6-5, 250, and pretty damn athletic and quick off the ball,” Huffman said. “That’s really the biggest thing with him. He has a lot of raw natural ability that just needs some development. It needs some coaching. Playing JV football obviously didn’t help him a whole lot. He’s chasing down freshmen and sophomores and he’s a junior.

“He needs experience. He needs teaching. He needs coaching. But you can’t teach the size and the athleticism that he’s got.”

It’s Heims’ potential — not his production — that netted a high three-star ranking via 247Sports and coaxed scholarship offers from UW, Arizona State, Colorado, Penn State, Washington State, Arizona, Boston College, Illinois, Oregon State and more. He’ll almost certainly need a redshirt season before receiving a realistic opportunity to play inside Husky Stadium.

And, according to UW’s coaches, Heims’ physical potential might be worth the wait. He can learn from the likes of Laiatu Latu, Sav’ell Smalls, Zion Tupuola-Fetui, Jordan Lolohea and Bralen Trice at the outside-linebacker position. And then, come 2022 or 2023, he might be ready to convert potential into sacks and tackles for loss.
And, correct me if I am wrong, but was part of the new redshirt rules that special teams plays didn't count? That sounds silly, but I swear I remember that. If that is the case use this freak athlete on special teams his first year and you can still Red Shirt him. Sorry, I have to be wrong on that right, because that sounds crazy as hell. I know that now they can play four games, but special teams has to count...right?

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:06 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 4:17 pm
“He’s 6-5, 250, and pretty damn athletic and quick off the ball,” Huffman said. “That’s really the biggest thing with him. He has a lot of raw natural ability that just needs some development. It needs some coaching. Playing JV football obviously didn’t help him a whole lot. He’s chasing down freshmen and sophomores and he’s a junior.

“He needs experience. He needs teaching. He needs coaching. But you can’t teach the size and the athleticism that he’s got.”

It’s Heims’ potential — not his production — that netted a high three-star ranking via 247Sports and coaxed scholarship offers from UW, Arizona State, Colorado, Penn State, Washington State, Arizona, Boston College, Illinois, Oregon State and more. He’ll almost certainly need a redshirt season before receiving a realistic opportunity to play inside Husky Stadium.

And, according to UW’s coaches, Heims’ physical potential might be worth the wait. He can learn from the likes of Laiatu Latu, Sav’ell Smalls, Zion Tupuola-Fetui, Jordan Lolohea and Bralen Trice at the outside-linebacker position. And then, come 2022 or 2023, he might be ready to convert potential into sacks and tackles for loss.
And, correct me if I am wrong, but was part of the new redshirt rules that special teams plays didn't count? That sounds silly, but I swear I remember that. If that is the case use this freak athlete on special teams his first year and you can still Red Shirt him. Sorry, I have to be wrong on that right, because that sounds crazy as hell. I know that now they can play four games, but special teams has to count...right?
That does sound crazy. Is a fake punt special teams or not? How about a quick quick? Is a guy going to lose eligibility on a technicality of the definition of a special teams play.
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:21 pm

D-train wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:06 pm

That does sound crazy. Is a fake punt special teams or not? How about a quick quick? Is a guy going to lose eligibility on a technicality of the definition of a special teams play.
My guess is I am wrong...I may be confusing things. I know that when I coached at the Pop Warner level we had minimum play requirements for every kid...but special teams didn't count. Could be that my old ass is confusing things.

This is the closest thing I could find. I am pretty sure I was wrong, special teams plays count.
"There will be some guys that maybe get injured early part of the season, and you maybe say, 'OK, let's take the middle couple games here and just not do anything at all and then use [the redshirt rule] at the end of the year,' and then you still get that year," Herman said. "That case can be made for a lot of true freshmen as well that we've held off of special teams. That might have been their only role back in the day, and you say, 'That's good enough for 10, 15 snaps a game on special teams, you're going to contribute.'

"But now it's like, 'Well if we can just save these, if we can get by on special teams toward the end of the season, we can have a mass shift in the personnel and use a bunch of fresh true freshmen who had two months of training with us as well.'"
https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... t-rule-faq

Which makes perfect sense. Still, if this kid can contribute in four games even just on special teams it could be a benefit. Seems like he has a ton of upside!

57reasons

Post by 57reasons » Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:07 pm

i read the Heims writeup in ST with great interest, a 6-5 250 lb LB. then when i looked him up on 247 they list him as a WDE. somehow that height/weight combo is much less exciting as a DE than OLB, wonder which he will really play. not that we dont need DE too.
speaking of need, REALLY need to land at least one of the three premier in-stat guys left - Tuimalao and Egbuka both 5-stars and Prentice the 4-star. Simon the 4-5 star LB already gone to $C and Oregon kicking butt with about 8 top 200 guys already.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:56 am

57reasons wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 11:07 pm
i read the Heims writeup in ST with great interest, a 6-5 250 lb LB. then when i looked him up on 247 they list him as a WDE. somehow that height/weight combo is much less exciting as a DE than OLB, wonder which he will really play. not that we dont need DE too.
speaking of need, REALLY need to land at least one of the three premier in-stat guys left - Tuimalao and Egbuka both 5-stars and Prentice the 4-star. Simon the 4-5 star LB already gone to $C and Oregon kicking butt with about 8 top 200 guys already.
Remember....half the DEs in our system are basically OLBs.

57reasons

Post by 57reasons » Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:54 am

i'm actually pretty satisfied with the rush LB spot (what they call "Buck" i think) - Tryon really came on last year and Bowman back for senior year, and behind them the promising Latu, Smalls and Trice. also like the DT depth and quality with Levi, Tui Letula, Taimani, Bandes and Tuatele. also expect the young DBs Turner, Cam Williams and Gordon to make big strides, so we just need one or two of the talented youngsters (Calvert or Heimuli?) to step up in the middle which was the dumpster fire position last year in order for the league-dominating Death Row D to return. much more concern on the O side, though you have to think having a real OC ought to help.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:26 pm

57reasons wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:54 am
i'm actually pretty satisfied with the rush LB spot (what they call "Buck" i think) - Tryon really came on last year and Bowman back for senior year, and behind them the promising Latu, Smalls and Trice. also like the DT depth and quality with Levi, Tui Letula, Taimani, Bandes and Tuatele. also expect the young DBs Turner, Cam Williams and Gordon to make big strides, so we just need one or two of the talented youngsters (Calvert or Heimuli?) to step up in the middle which was the dumpster fire position last year in order for the league-dominating Death Row D to return. much more concern on the O side, though you have to think having a real OC ought to help.
Agreed...especially about the young talent at DT.

As for a real OC? The jury may be out in that one. I thought it was a curious hire based on his history. Maybe I am just gun shy?