D-train

Woof!

Post by D-train » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:54 pm

dt

D-train

Re: Woof!

Post by D-train » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:58 pm

Gotta love this.
With offers from over 40 schools the Huskies beat out the likes of Alabama, Ohio State, Florida, LSU, and Auburn.
dt

57reasons

Post by 57reasons » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:29 pm

and hopefully his teammate Hector soon to follow. starting to be just a little concerned at having only one defensive commit, and dont see too many highly rated prospect targets on that side either. after last year's haul maybe they're just waiting for the next class that they might think better.

Captain 97

Post by Captain 97 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:04 pm

This is a good get. I am bummed that we didn't put a wall around the state on this class and lost the top 2 recruits. I am Glad we got Sam though. Hopefully we can wrap up the O-Lineman from Ferndale and get the Corner from Eastside.

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:11 am

Great piece on Cali recruiting:
There’s a hashtag pinned to the top of Jalen McMillan’s profile page on Twitter.

Actually, scratch that. It’s not a hashtag. It’s not a marketing gimmick. It’s a movement.

And it was conceived at the four-star Washington football commit’s dinner table during a conversation with his dad.

“My dad comes and says, ‘You should make your own hashtag,’” McMillan told The Times on Monday. “I was like, ‘What do you mean?’ And he said, ‘Something to go by when you recruit on Twitter.’

“It just popped in my head. #CALIREIGN. #PURPLEREIGN. I was like, ‘Yeah, let’s see if it works.’”

News flash: it works. McMillan — the No. 4 wide receiver and No. 31 overall prospect in the 2020 class, according to 247Sports — tweeted the hashtag for the first time on July 2, exactly a week after the Fresno, Calif., native verbally committed to UW. He tagged six Husky targets from the state of California — wide receivers Logan Loya, LV Bunkley Shelton and Troy Franklin, center Myles Murao, outside linebacker Jordan Banks and defensive back Makell Esteen — on the message as well.

ADVERTISING

Besides the hashtag, he added an eyeball emoji and two words — an open invitation.

Who’s next?

J4🏁
@jalenmcmillan20
Who’s next? 👀 #CaliReign @LoganLoya17 @jordanbanks05 @LVDeucesWild2 @MylesMurao @TroooyyyyyyTroy

8:26 PM - Jul 2, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy
79 people are talking about this
The answer was ultimately Murao — 247Sports’ No. 2 center and No. 77 overall recruit in 2020 — who pledged to UW on the Fourth of July.

But according to a mysterious McMillan, #CALIREIGN hasn’t finished reeling in fish.

“It’s going to be really cool to watch this next week,” he said, teasing another imminent commitment.

In the nine days since he first tweeted it, #CALIREIGN has started rolling — gaining traction with both recruits and fans on social media.

“Yeah, I’m fricken surprised about it,” McMillan said with a laugh, of the hashtag’s sudden surge in social media popularity.

ADVERTISING

Still, a hashtag can’t be credited with the Huskies’ longtime recruiting success in California.

“I’ve always felt that’s more overstated than anything,” 247Sports national editor Brandon Huffman said. “In a day and age of social media it becomes a movement that I think the fans really believe in and want to hope for. But I certainly think he’s an impact receiver and impact recruit that could have an effect for some of those out-of-state kids.”

UW already has a significant history of pulling impact recruits from The Golden State. After all, Washington has signed 62 California recruits in the Chris Petersen era, 48.8 percent of its total signees. That number has even increased in the last two classes, as 52.9 percent of signees or verbal commits in 2019 and 2020 are California kids.

Your dose of local sports news. Delivered Monday through Friday.

The not-so-subtle lesson: UW needed California long before the movement was gifted a flashy name.

“I think it’s huge,” Huffman said of Washington’s recent recruiting efforts in California. “You just go look back to the team that went to the playoffs. Your starting quarterback (Jake Browning) — a California native. Your big-play receiver (John Ross) — a California native. Your big-play return guy (Dante Pettis) — a California native. It was southern California and northern California.

“Yeah, you still had a huge contingent of guys that were local kids — the Taylor Rapps, the Budda Bakers. Add Kaleb McGary and Trey Adams as well. But then you have Nick Harris. You have Keishawn Bierria. You have a huge amount of southern and northern California guys.”

ADVERTISING

That’s also the case in the current class, with six of UW’s 11 commits hailing from California.

So, yes: more than any other state, California is the Huskies’ recruiting lifeblood.

But they aren’t the only ones. And that’s where this gets sticky.

Most Read Sports Stories
Soccer star Megan Rapinoe will be secretary of state if Jay Inslee has any say
Four-star 2020 Eastside Catholic RB Sam Adams II verbally commits to UW Huskies
Storm, WNBA looking into domestic-abuse allegations against All-Star forward Natasha Howard
Mariners mailbag: Does Domingo Santana have spot on team post ‘step back?’
Natasha Howard, playing despite domestic abuse allegations, helps lead Storm past Liberty
Because, more and more, touted prospects from California are beginning to leave the region. Consider that, from 2010 to 2018, 60.6 percent of the top 20 California recruits from each class (as ranked by the 47Sports composite) eventually signed with a home state school. And if they did leave, they didn’t go far; 77.8 percent of those recruits opted to remain in the Pac-12.

But as the conference’s reputation has suffered, recruits have migrated east. In 2019, just four (20 percent) of the top 20 prospects in California signed with in-state schools. Thirteen (65 percent) signed in the Pac-12 and seven (35 percent) landed elsewhere.

The numbers thus far in 2020 are even more extreme. Eleven of the top 20 prospects in the state are currently verbally committed, and only two of them (18.2 percent) have pledged to California programs. Five (45.5 percent) have committed inside the Pac-12 and six (54.5 percent) are headed out of the conference.

ADVERTISING
Ad
Spend time outdoors this summer to reap health benefits
Advertising Content from University of Washington

Of course, this trend is most alarming for California programs like USC, UCLA, Stanford and Cal. But the entire Pac-12 has been put on notice.

“I think what’s also becoming more eye-opening, and it’s causing a lot of panic for especially the Los Angeles schools and really the Pac-12, is how open these west coast kids are to leaving not just the state but the region,” Huffman said. “From the big four states – California, Florida, Texas, Georgia – you can easily make the case that California bleeds the most. They have the most players willing to leave.”

That makes UW’s California recruiting efforts — #CALIREIGN included — even more critical. According to 247Sports, the Huskies have offered 29 California kids in 2020, 18 more than any other state. Prospects like wide receivers Johnny Wilson, Gary Bryant Jr., LV Bunkley-Shelton and Logan Loya, outside linebacker Jordan Banks and defensive backs Makell Esteen and Trey Paster remain in play.

While the rest of the conference flounders, the Huskies have an opportunity to flourish.

And McMillan, for one, is willing to do his part.

“I’m definitely going to bring a lot of guys, especially from Cali,” said McMillan, who added that he is completely committed to UW and has ceased communications with all outside coaching staffs.

“I feel like if we get the right dudes we will be competing for a national championship in the next coming years. So yeah, I’m definitely going to be recruiting.”

J4🏁
@jalenmcmillan20
#CALIREIGN ☔️

6:47 PM - Jul 3, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy
97 people are talking about this

Washington signees or commits from California in the Chris Petersen era

2014: 16 (69.6 percent)

2015: 14 (56 percent)

2016: 7 (38.9 percent)

2017: 8 (44.4 percent)

2018: 5 (25 percent)

2019: 12 (52.2 percent)

2020: 6 (54.5 percent)
dt

57reasons

Post by 57reasons » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:31 am

Captain 97 wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:04 pm
This is a good get. I am bummed that we didn't put a wall around the state on this class and lost the top 2 recruits. I am Glad we got Sam though. Hopefully we can wrap up the O-Lineman from Ferndale and get the Corner from Eastside.
not sure how hard they even pursued Scott. have heard rumors his dad (a sports radio host) is not big on UW, so the son might not have been high on them either. that, combined with his early commit to Ohio State left me curious about Adam's statement of trying to recruit him. regardless, with 2 receivers already signed in this class (beside the 2 TEs), and a third still being pursued, that ship has sailed. But getting Hector and Hatchett would really put a fine stamp on this class, even without Scott or Smalls.

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:11 pm

57reasons wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:31 am
Captain 97 wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:04 pm
not sure how hard they even pursued Scott. have heard rumors his dad (a sports radio host) is not big on UW, so the son might not have been high on them either. that, combined with his early commit to Ohio State left me curious about Adam's statement of trying to recruit him. regardless, with 2 receivers already signed in this class (beside the 2 TEs), and a third still being pursued, that ship has sailed. But getting Hector and Hatchett would really put a fine stamp on this class, even without Scott or Smalls.
Gee Scott is a circus clown that literally cried on the air about Michael Bennett's BS story about being racially profiled by the Las Vegas cops. Good riddance.
dt

Captain 97

Post by Captain 97 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 4:03 pm

We aren't recruiting the Dad. I would guess the vast majority of the parents of the kids we recruit have similar views. I have heard Jr. is an extremely hard worker and he obviously has the talent. At the very least you want a kid of that caliber in your own back yard to give you a serious look.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:45 pm

Not sure Scott Jr is better than the WRs we ended up with. And yes, his dad is that big of a clown that it is a real possibility that the son was not an OKG.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:31 am

Michael K. wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:45 pm
Not sure Scott Jr is better than the WRs we ended up with. And yes, his dad is that big of a clown that it is a real possibility that the son was not an OKG.
Exactly. Rotten apples fall even closer to the tree than regular apples.
dt