2023 Week 1: UW Football-Boise State

Walla Walla Dawg II

2023 Week 1: UW Football-Boise State

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Thu Aug 31, 2023 1:58 pm

Okay gentlemen, here is our first game of the season prediction thread.

First and foremost..GO DAWGS!!!!

UW offense:
I think the team picks up where it left off last season, however I do believe that with the younger offensive line, Penix will be sacked more than 5 times. If I had to guess, I'd say he will be over 12 sacks this season, but in year 2 of this system, we average more points.

UW defense:
This isn't the injured defense we saw last year. This isn't the shit-for-secondary we say last year. This is a defense that should me improved over last season. We have a better secondary with more experience, speed and strength. Our defensive line is also larger, faster and stronger. Wrap all that up with the experience, we will have a top 3 defense in the Pac12.

Boise State note:
They are a speed bump.
I expect a slow first quarter, then full throttle.

UW - 48
BSU - 24 (one TD with under 2 minutes in the game, so the score is really 17)

D-train

Re: 2023 Week 1: UW Football-Boise State

Post by D-train » Thu Aug 31, 2023 9:09 pm

Caple:
Boise State at Washington
12:30 p.m. Saturday, ABC

The line: Washington by 14.5

I don’t think the Broncos are coming to Husky Stadium scared. They have a talented quarterback, a great backfield and a defensive-minded head coach who assembled a quality group last year. Still, Boise State is replacing a few key players in the secondary, and Michael Penix Jr. and Co. should be able to take advantage. You should also see an overall talent gap show up, eventually, but I wouldn’t be surprised if Boise State quarterback Taylen Green and running backs George Holani and Ashton Jeanty give UW’s defense some trouble. Interested to see how stout the Huskies are up the middle. This will be a good test, but I think UW wins by a couple scores. Also think Boise State covers.

My pick: Washington 35, Boise State 24
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Aug 31, 2023 9:18 pm

How will you guys feel if we give up 24 to them. I will be worried about the rest of the season.

My prediction is 37-13.
dt

Walla Walla Dawg II

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Thu Aug 31, 2023 9:36 pm

D-train wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 9:18 pm
How will you guys feel if we give up 24 to them. I will be worried about the rest of the season.

My prediction is 37-13.
It's funny how everyone is talking about how good they are at rushing the ball. The thing that they fail to mention is that BSU was that good at rushing to ball against Mountain West Schools......NOT REAL TEAMS.

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Aug 31, 2023 10:10 pm

Walla Walla Dawg II wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 9:36 pm
D-train wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 9:18 pm

My prediction is 37-13.
It's funny how everyone is talking about how good they are at rushing the ball. The thing that they fail to mention is that BSU was that good at rushing to ball against Mountain West Schools......NOT REAL TEAMS.
I see they beat North Texas in the prestigious "Frisco Bowl" 35-32 last December. So put up 35 vs. North Texas "Mean Green" :lol: and will but up 24 vs. us. ok
dt

AZOldDawg

Post by AZOldDawg » Fri Sep 01, 2023 1:58 am

I think our secondary is still suspect. I hope I am “ big time” wrong

Walla Walla Dawg II

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Fri Sep 01, 2023 1:22 pm

A little something from 247 Sports

Hummer (Boise State +14.5) — This is going to be a fascinating early test for Washington’s secondary. The Huskies don’t have a ton of weaknesses, but their pass defense, which ranked 111th last season in opposing passer rating, is a huge concern. Boise State, for its part, has an ascending QB, Taylen Green, who could be the best passer in the Mountain West this year. This is an early benchmark for the Huskies, especially given the Broncos had an elite pass defense a season ago. Boise State doesn’t pull the upset, but this one is close throughout. … Washington 34, Boise State 24.

Crawford (Washington -14.5) — The Huskies are a team that I've played the under win total (9.5) this season, so if they lose here, I'm feeling great about that projection. However, this is not one of the matchups I've penciled in as a setback. I like the advantage Washington should have along the defensive line in this game. Green's an exciting player for the Broncos and Boise State could be the Group of Five's best team this fall, but I don't like the matchup for the underdogs in Week 1. ... Washington 38, Boise State 20.

Walla Walla Dawg II

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Fri Sep 01, 2023 2:24 pm

And a prediction to back mine from none other than Walter Bailey.

LEGENDARY UW DEFENSIVE BACK WALTER BAILEY (2022: 11-2)
Are You Ready?? We're finally here Dawg fans!!! The start of the 2023 season couldn't get here quick enough for me and I'm looking forward to watching the fireworks this game is going to have. I see Michael Penix Jr. coming out and attacking and hitting on several big plays and I think we'll see them get out to a quick start. Watch Rome Odunze and Jalen McMillan and Ja'Lynn Polk have big games. I also believe the running game is going to be a factor with Dillon Johnson and company carrying the load.

Defensively, the Huskies need to deal with Boise State's mobile quarterback Taylen Green. I expect Washington's pass rush to get after him and I think they can force a couple of turnovers. I see the Husky secondary getting an interception or two this game to make a statement. The Huskies get a big win to start the season.

Washington 48-17

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Sep 01, 2023 2:33 pm

Fri Sep 01, 2023 1:22 pm
A little something from 247 Sports

Hummer (Boise State +14.5) — This is going to be a fascinating early test for Washington’s secondary. The Huskies don’t have a ton of weaknesses, but their pass defense, which ranked 111th last season in opposing passer rating, is a huge concern. Boise State, for its part, has an ascending QB, Taylen Green, who could be the best passer in the Mountain West this year. This is an early benchmark for the Huskies, especially given the Broncos had an elite pass defense a season ago. Boise State doesn’t pull the upset, but this one is close throughout. … Washington 34, Boise State 24.

Crawford (Washington -14.5) — The Huskies are a team that I've played the under win total (9.5) this season, so if they lose here, I'm feeling great about that projection. However, this is not one of the matchups I've penciled in as a setback. I like the advantage Washington should have along the defensive line in this game. Green's an exciting player for the Broncos and Boise State could be the Group of Five's best team this fall, but I don't like the matchup for the underdogs in Week 1. ... Washington 38, Boise State 20.
The under on 9.5 wins. What a dope.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Sep 01, 2023 2:33 pm

Fri Sep 01, 2023 2:24 pm
And a prediction to back mine from none other than Walter Bailey.

LEGENDARY UW DEFENSIVE BACK WALTER BAILEY (2022: 11-2)
Are You Ready?? We're finally here Dawg fans!!! The start of the 2023 season couldn't get here quick enough for me and I'm looking forward to watching the fireworks this game is going to have. I see Michael Penix Jr. coming out and attacking and hitting on several big plays and I think we'll see them get out to a quick start. Watch Rome Odunze and Jalen McMillan and Ja'Lynn Polk have big games. I also believe the running game is going to be a factor with Dillon Johnson and company carrying the load.

Defensively, the Huskies need to deal with Boise State's mobile quarterback Taylen Green. I expect Washington's pass rush to get after him and I think they can force a couple of turnovers. I see the Husky secondary getting an interception or two this game to make a statement. The Huskies get a big win to start the season.

Washington 48-17
Boom. Smart guy.
dt