Literally a team of people at UW working to get me $1800

D-train

Literally a team of people at UW working to get me $1800

Post by D-train » Thu Aug 31, 2023 4:25 pm

:lol:
By Mike Vorel
Seattle Times staff reporter
Michael Penix Jr.’s Heisman Trophy campaign wasn’t built with billboards that tower above city streets, audacious as each may be. It wasn’t bought and packaged and put on public display over Dallas and New York City.

Which shouldn’t suggest the Huskies have been caught on their heels. After Penix set a school record for passing yards (4,641) and led the nation in passing yards per game (357) in his debut season in Seattle, UW’s athletic department formed a committee in January to position Penix for college football’s premier award.

But in Penix’s case, the campaign predates the committee.

“We started our look at Mike in the back half of last year, after the Oregon game,” said Kasey Byers, UW’s senior director of creative services. “I know a lot of folks were wondering why we waited so long. I think a lot of the focus on Mike last year didn’t come to the forefront nationally until we started to try to push that narrative. It’s hard to do that, too, in the last part of a season. But we knew it was a continuous process.

“Especially once he decided he was coming back, this wasn’t a thing we [suddenly] started.”

The committee — which met every two weeks, beginning in February — comprised Byers, deputy athletic director for external relations Jay Hilbrands, chief of staff Aaron Knotts, assistant athletic director for athletic communications Jeff Bechthold, associate athletic director for content strategy Will Gulley, assistant athletic director for brand advancement Chris Hein and director of social media Hadley Heck.

The goal was to simultaneously amplify Penix’s personality and his play.

“The best way to describe him is, he’s unbelievably authentic,” Byers said of the quarterback, who finished eighth in the Heisman voting last fall. “When you know who the person is, you have to find a way to let other people appreciate him for those qualities. I think we did a good job of capturing Mike’s personality [last season], in the ‘Be Like Mike’ campaign and his announcement video coming back and all that.

“But at the same time, you’ve got a guy that’s extremely talented on the field, is constantly watching film, constantly getting extra work. So as a football player, we wanted to make sure his story is out there too — what kind of leader he is, what kind of player he is.”

So what’s the best way to share that story?

And who needs to see it most?

Byers and Co. organized their audience into two primary groups — “analog” (voters 40 and older) and “digital” (40 and younger). Regarding the former, Byers noted that “some of these people have been voting for decades. I think they appreciate a more traditional way of learning about somebody — news stories, stuff about who they are as people. We talked about, do we do handwritten letters from Mike to those people? Those are things they appreciate.”

The committee also tasked analytics company Talkwalker with creating an AI heat map displaying where conversations surrounding Penix are most (and least) prevalent. Byers noted those tools help the Huskies “go in and see where his conversation is — and not just through social channels, but where he’s being talked about on reddit boards and the locations of those, and podcasts and blog posts and everything you can think of that’s not just social media.

“[The heat map] almost looks like severe thunderstorms rolling in. You’ve got yellow and the red and all that [on a national map]. Mike obviously had big patches of that up here [in Washington], but he also had huge patches down in LA and a large section in the southeast — with his roots in Tampa. So we were able to go in and see the city locations and the number of people talking about him. They get that data by searching thousands of posts. They look at everything. So that allowed us to see where there were holes around the country.”

Despite Penix’s four seasons at Indiana, said holes were primarily situated in the Midwest and East Coast.

But rather than scattering billboards across associated cities, UW attempted to highlight Penix’s personality. The Huskies invited ESPN’s Adam Rittenberg to Seattle last spring to produce a story on Penix. They did the same this summer with podcaster and analyst Adam Breneman — who has 250,000 followers across TikTok, Instagram and X (formerly referred to as Twitter).

“[Breneman’s] audience and his data shows us that he has massive influence in the east coast, which is huge,” Byers said.

Locally, UW struck a deal with the city to produce “Be Like Mike” bus wraps that cruised through Seattle this spring. Pac-12 analyst Yogi Roth went fishing with Penix for a video feature set to air this month as well. And perhaps most importantly, UW connected the quarterback — who prioritizes charitable works — with former ESPN anchor Kenny Mayne and his foundation, “Run Freely,” for an event that raised funds for two veterans to receive devices that will help improve their mobility.

“We’re trying to take care of the West Coast, get some national people involved, some people from the Midwest, some people from the East Coast,” said Byers, who teased more charitable works to come. “We’re doing consistent, meaningful pushes and different creative ways to get him out there.”

Meanwhile, 280 miles south, Oregon has launched a competing campaign for quarterback Bo Nix — involving billboards in Dallas and New York City, a full-page ad in the New York Times and consistently “BOdacious” branding.

But UW’s strategy is comparably understated:

Bring Penix to the people.

“It’s not a knock on [Oregon]. Their approach is … they think Broadway,” Byers said. “I think ours is more about personal relationships. That stems from our head coach. Coach [Kalen] DeBoer is very personable; he’s a family-oriented guy. We try to approach all of our relationships and how we market people that way, where there’s relatability.

“I’ll be honest: I can go back and show you the notes. Doing billboards of Mike in four or five major cities was talked about back in February. In the end, we said, ‘No, we want people to experience Mike. So let’s get him with different people from different parts of the country in different avenues.’”

That strategy resonated with Penix as well. Early on, Byers and Heck produced a full presentation for the senior quarterback and his agent, Reggie Johnson. Byers said “[Johnson] flew out here, Hadley and I sat down with him and Mike together and went over everything — showing data, showing his heat map, showing the phases [of rollouts] we wanted to do. They were blown away.”

But for a quarterback with playoff aspirations, balance is required.

The goal is to bring Penix to the people … but football must come first.

“Mike’s agent is a good guy,” said UW offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach Ryan Grubb. “I stay in contact with him, just about management of [off-field obligations] and making sure it isn’t too much and that Mike knows how to say no at times.

“Because Mike’s a really accommodating guy. He wants to be interactive with the fan base. He wants to try to please everybody on some level. So [we’re] just making sure he knows it’s OK for him to say no at times and handle what he has to handle.”

Added Penix last spring, when asked how he handles a Heisman campaign: “It’s just a button [on social media]. I just click retweet. That’s it for me. I don’t really get too focused into it.”

Penix’s focus is fixed on UW’s season opener against Boise State on Saturday — the possible start of a special season.

And if all goes well for No. 10 Washington, we all know where it could lead.

“It’s been fun,” Byers said of Penix’s campaign. “Hopefully he’s one of the five there in New York [for the Heisman ceremony]. We certainly think he should be.”
dt

AZOldDawg

Re: Literally a team of people at UW working to get me $1800

Post by AZOldDawg » Thu Aug 31, 2023 4:53 pm

D-train wrote:
Thu Aug 31, 2023 4:25 pm
:lol:
By Mike Vorel
Seattle Times staff reporter
Michael Penix Jr.’s Heisman Trophy campaign wasn’t built with billboards that tower above city streets, audacious as each may be. It wasn’t bought and packaged and put on public display over Dallas and New York City.

Which shouldn’t suggest the Huskies have been caught on their heels. After Penix set a school record for passing yards (4,641) and led the nation in passing yards per game (357) in his debut season in Seattle, UW’s athletic department formed a committee in January to position Penix for college football’s premier award.

But in Penix’s case, the campaign predates the committee.

“We started our look at Mike in the back half of last year, after the Oregon game,” said Kasey Byers, UW’s senior director of creative services. “I know a lot of folks were wondering why we waited so long. I think a lot of the focus on Mike last year didn’t come to the forefront nationally until we started to try to push that narrative. It’s hard to do that, too, in the last part of a season. But we knew it was a continuous process.

“Especially once he decided he was coming back, this wasn’t a thing we [suddenly] started.”

The committee — which met every two weeks, beginning in February — comprised Byers, deputy athletic director for external relations Jay Hilbrands, chief of staff Aaron Knotts, assistant athletic director for athletic communications Jeff Bechthold, associate athletic director for content strategy Will Gulley, assistant athletic director for brand advancement Chris Hein and director of social media Hadley Heck.

The goal was to simultaneously amplify Penix’s personality and his play.

“The best way to describe him is, he’s unbelievably authentic,” Byers said of the quarterback, who finished eighth in the Heisman voting last fall. “When you know who the person is, you have to find a way to let other people appreciate him for those qualities. I think we did a good job of capturing Mike’s personality [last season], in the ‘Be Like Mike’ campaign and his announcement video coming back and all that.

“But at the same time, you’ve got a guy that’s extremely talented on the field, is constantly watching film, constantly getting extra work. So as a football player, we wanted to make sure his story is out there too — what kind of leader he is, what kind of player he is.”

So what’s the best way to share that story?

And who needs to see it most?

Byers and Co. organized their audience into two primary groups — “analog” (voters 40 and older) and “digital” (40 and younger). Regarding the former, Byers noted that “some of these people have been voting for decades. I think they appreciate a more traditional way of learning about somebody — news stories, stuff about who they are as people. We talked about, do we do handwritten letters from Mike to those people? Those are things they appreciate.”

The committee also tasked analytics company Talkwalker with creating an AI heat map displaying where conversations surrounding Penix are most (and least) prevalent. Byers noted those tools help the Huskies “go in and see where his conversation is — and not just through social channels, but where he’s being talked about on reddit boards and the locations of those, and podcasts and blog posts and everything you can think of that’s not just social media.

“[The heat map] almost looks like severe thunderstorms rolling in. You’ve got yellow and the red and all that [on a national map]. Mike obviously had big patches of that up here [in Washington], but he also had huge patches down in LA and a large section in the southeast — with his roots in Tampa. So we were able to go in and see the city locations and the number of people talking about him. They get that data by searching thousands of posts. They look at everything. So that allowed us to see where there were holes around the country.”

Despite Penix’s four seasons at Indiana, said holes were primarily situated in the Midwest and East Coast.

But rather than scattering billboards across associated cities, UW attempted to highlight Penix’s personality. The Huskies invited ESPN’s Adam Rittenberg to Seattle last spring to produce a story on Penix. They did the same this summer with podcaster and analyst Adam Breneman — who has 250,000 followers across TikTok, Instagram and X (formerly referred to as Twitter).

“[Breneman’s] audience and his data shows us that he has massive influence in the east coast, which is huge,” Byers said.

Locally, UW struck a deal with the city to produce “Be Like Mike” bus wraps that cruised through Seattle this spring. Pac-12 analyst Yogi Roth went fishing with Penix for a video feature set to air this month as well. And perhaps most importantly, UW connected the quarterback — who prioritizes charitable works — with former ESPN anchor Kenny Mayne and his foundation, “Run Freely,” for an event that raised funds for two veterans to receive devices that will help improve their mobility.

“We’re trying to take care of the West Coast, get some national people involved, some people from the Midwest, some people from the East Coast,” said Byers, who teased more charitable works to come. “We’re doing consistent, meaningful pushes and different creative ways to get him out there.”

Meanwhile, 280 miles south, Oregon has launched a competing campaign for quarterback Bo Nix — involving billboards in Dallas and New York City, a full-page ad in the New York Times and consistently “BOdacious” branding.

But UW’s strategy is comparably understated:

Bring Penix to the people.

“It’s not a knock on [Oregon]. Their approach is … they think Broadway,” Byers said. “I think ours is more about personal relationships. That stems from our head coach. Coach [Kalen] DeBoer is very personable; he’s a family-oriented guy. We try to approach all of our relationships and how we market people that way, where there’s relatability.

“I’ll be honest: I can go back and show you the notes. Doing billboards of Mike in four or five major cities was talked about back in February. In the end, we said, ‘No, we want people to experience Mike. So let’s get him with different people from different parts of the country in different avenues.’”

That strategy resonated with Penix as well. Early on, Byers and Heck produced a full presentation for the senior quarterback and his agent, Reggie Johnson. Byers said “[Johnson] flew out here, Hadley and I sat down with him and Mike together and went over everything — showing data, showing his heat map, showing the phases [of rollouts] we wanted to do. They were blown away.”

But for a quarterback with playoff aspirations, balance is required.

The goal is to bring Penix to the people … but football must come first.

“Mike’s agent is a good guy,” said UW offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach Ryan Grubb. “I stay in contact with him, just about management of [off-field obligations] and making sure it isn’t too much and that Mike knows how to say no at times.

“Because Mike’s a really accommodating guy. He wants to be interactive with the fan base. He wants to try to please everybody on some level. So [we’re] just making sure he knows it’s OK for him to say no at times and handle what he has to handle.”

Added Penix last spring, when asked how he handles a Heisman campaign: “It’s just a button [on social media]. I just click retweet. That’s it for me. I don’t really get too focused into it.”

Penix’s focus is fixed on UW’s season opener against Boise State on Saturday — the possible start of a special season.

And if all goes well for No. 10 Washington, we all know where it could lead.

“It’s been fun,” Byers said of Penix’s campaign. “Hopefully he’s one of the five there in New York [for the Heisman ceremony]. We certainly think he should be.”
Starting a new “me too” movement 👍

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Sep 13, 2023 8:39 pm

dt

Walla Walla Dawg II

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Fri Sep 15, 2023 2:46 pm

And keep in mind that Kaleb has 3 games in, not 2 like the rest of them.

Next weeks grades will be more accurate.

GO DAWGS!!

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Sep 19, 2023 6:15 pm

Walla Walla Dawg II wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2023 2:46 pm
And keep in mind that Kaleb has 3 games in, not 2 like the rest of them.

Next weeks grades will be more accurate.

GO DAWGS!!
Those were grades for week two so number of games not relevant. In at +1800. ye haw.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Sep 20, 2023 12:35 pm

Odds down from -$1800 when we got in to -$550
By Jon Wilner
Bay Area News Group
Three games down, and Michael Penix Jr.’s pursuit of the Heisman Trophy is unfolding exactly as Washington hoped, with as many boxes checked as touchdowns thrown.

Here we go:

— Big wins and gaudy stats? Check.

The Huskies are 3-0, ranked No. 8 in The Associated Press poll and rapidly amassing media attention. (UW is No. 1 in the Yahoo! and ESPN rankings this week.) Meanwhile, Penix leads the nation in passing yards (444 per game) and is second in touchdowns.

— Brilliance on big stages? Check.

Washington just ventured into Big Ten territory and blasted Michigan State as Penix completed 20-of-25 passes for 375 yards and four touchdowns in the first half. Kickoff was 2 p.m., providing plenty of time for ESPN and Fox to show game highlights to their national audiences throughout the afternoon and evening.

— Manageable national competition? Check.

There is no top Heisman candidate this season from Ohio State, Alabama or Georgia. Penix’s primary challengers from powerhouse programs outside the Pacific Time Zone are quarterbacks from Texas (Quinn Ewers), Notre Dame (Sam Hartman) and Florida State (Jordan Travis). That’s not great, but it could be far worse.

— Pac-12 showdowns looming? Check.

The conference has eight ranked teams and several other Heisman contenders, creating a slew of opportunities in high-profile matchups — on network television — for Penix to produce the indelible moments that fuel successful campaigns.

— Sweet spot with the oddsmakers? Check.

Penix is currently the No. 2 betting favorite for the Heisman behind USC quarterback Caleb Williams, the 2022 winner, according to odds posted by BetMGM. (Williams is 3.5/1, with Penix at 5.5/1.) The positioning provides necessary national recognition without the front-runner status that can create an unreasonable bar.

ADVERTISING
Skip Ad
Skip Ad
Skip Ad
All of which leads us to the following conclusion: If Penix maintains his level of play and the Huskies keep winning — they don’t need to go undefeated, however — then even a handful of games on the Pac-12 Networks won’t stop him from reaching New York City as a finalist.

Our Pac-12 player power rankings …

1. Washington QB Michael Penix Jr.
Last week: 5
Key stats: 11.8 yards per attempt, 12 touchdowns, one interception
Comment: Penix ranks in the top four nationally in numerous key metrics, including touchdown passes, yards per game, passer rating and yards-per-attempt. But he’s way, way down the list (No. 9) in completion percentage. Sheesh.

2. Colorado QB Shedeur Sanders
Last week: 4
Key stats: 417 yards per game, 78.7 completion percentage, 10 touchdowns
Comment: Sanders had a Heisman moment on Saturday night, leading a 98-yard, game-tying drive in the final minute as the Buffaloes eventually beat Colorado State in overtime. Sanders will be without his wingman, receiver Travis Hunter, for several weeks. (See below.) That unfortunate circumstance nonetheless creates a bigger stage for Sanders.

3. USC QB Caleb Williams
Last week: 3
Key stats: 12 touchdowns, no interceptions, 78.6 completion percentage
Comment: The Trojans were idle in Week 3 and should dismantle Arizona State on Saturday night. But Williams will have the ideal combination of a high-level platform and low-level defense when USC visits Colorado next week for a ‘Big Noon’ broadcast on Fox. Yes, the Trojans agreed to play at 9 a.m. Pacific.

4. Oregon QB Bo Nix
Last week: 3
Key stats: 77.6 completion percentage, eight touchdowns, no interceptions
Comment: Another week of near-perfection for Nix, who has done everything necessary to build a Heisman-worthy resume … except play a game with truly national resonance. (The Texas Tech affair didn’t quite qualify.) His chance comes Saturday, against Colorado. Nix could elevate his candidacy and undercut a competitor at the same time.

5. WSU QB Cam Ward
Last week: 7
Key stats: 330 yards per game, 11 total touchdowns (two rushing), no interceptions
Comment: Ward’s path to the Heisman ceremony is extraordinarily narrow and probably requires WSU to reach the conference championship game, along with A-level execution on his part. If you’ll recall, WSU quarterback Gardner Minshew finished fifth in the 2018 race but wasn’t invited to New York.

ADVERTISING
Skip Ad
6. Colorado WR/CB Travis Hunter
Last week: 1
Key stats: 16 catches, 13.3 yards per catch, nine tackles, one interception
Comment: Hunter was knocked out of the Colorado State game on a dirty play and is expected to miss three weeks and two huge games (Oregon and USC). He’ll have loads of ground to make up, but given the spotlight on CU and Hunter’s unusual candidacy — as a two-way star — he might have time to recover.

7. Washington State edge Ron Stone Jr.
Last week: 10
Key stats: 16 tackles, four tackles-for-loss, two fumbles forced
Comment: Another Saturday of defensive dominance for Stone, who had four tackles and a sack in the blowout victory over Northern Colorado. His skill set is a perfect match for WSU’s system, or was WSU’s system crafted to suit Stone’s talents? Answer: Both.

8. Washington WR Rome Odunze
Last week: Not ranked
Key stats: 139.7 yards per game, 19.1 yards per catch, 7.3 catches per game
Comment: Odunze is the lone newcomer to the rankings this week, his stature enhanced by a superb performance at Michigan State (eight catches for 180 yards). In a conference loaded with high-octane offenses and elite receivers, he stands as the best of the bunch.

9. USC AP Zachariah Branch
Last week: 6
Key stats: 41.7 yards per kick return, 22.6 yards per punt return
Comment: The all-purpose (AP) dynamo had the week off but remains one of the best touch-for-touch performers in the country, capable of changing games as a receiver or punt and kickoff returner. Because his opportunities are limited in USC’s offense, Branch has a slim margin for error.

10. Utah S Cole Bishop
Last week: 8
Key stats: Four tackles-for-loss, one interception, one fumble forced
Comment: Bishop had a quiet afternoon in Utah’s dominant victory over Weber State, with one sack and a pass breakup. He remains the central figure in a defense that allows 10.3 points per game but faces its most difficult challenge of the season Saturday when UCLA pays a visit.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun Sep 24, 2023 3:06 pm

dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Sep 25, 2023 2:56 pm

dt

Walla Walla Dawg II

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Mon Sep 25, 2023 11:14 pm

The issue is....he hasn't played 4 quarters yet.

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Sep 26, 2023 1:02 am

Walla Walla Dawg II wrote:
Mon Sep 25, 2023 11:14 pm
The issue is....he hasn't played 4 quarters yet.
Sure and when he does it will be against better defenses so....
dt