2023 Week 10: UW Football - U$C

Walla Walla Dawg II

2023 Week 10: UW Football - U$C

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Mon Oct 30, 2023 2:57 pm

Thought we may want to discuss this upcoming game a bit more since it's so interesting.
The current Heisman Winner vs the upcoming Heisman Winner (I want DT to get his $1800).

O/U is currently at 76.5
At this time, I say take the over.

Current spread is at UW -4.
I say to take UW and give the points to USC.

Discuss!!

Captain 97

Re: 2023 Week 10: UW Football - U$C

Post by Captain 97 » Mon Oct 30, 2023 3:55 pm

USC is not very good. They gave up 49 points to a CAL team that came into the game averaging 24 points a game against Power 5 competition. They lost to a Utah team that got boat raced by Oregon. They needed overtime to beat Arizona and they squeaked by a Colorado team that is now looking like a long shot to be bowl eligible. Logic would say that the Dawgs should be clear favorite. However after the last two games all bets are off. Just need to treat every game like the National title is on the line because it very well may be.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:01 pm

Captain 97 wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 3:55 pm
USC is not very good. They gave up 49 points to a CAL team that came into the game averaging 24 points a game against Power 5 competition. They lost to a Utah team that got boat raced by Oregon. They needed overtime to beat Arizona and they squeaked by a Colorado team that is now looking like a long shot to be bowl eligible. Logic would say that the Dawgs should be clear favorite. However after the last two games all bets are off. Just need to treat every game like the National title is on the line because it very well may be.
Well shit, thread ender right there. Not much to add besides I agree 100%. Hoping we have been maybe holding back some stuff on offense the last couple of weeks, not wanting to show anything for the tough stretch run. Hope if I am correct and Penix is hurt that he is healing up. That said, if he was sick? Anyone watch Pat Mahomes try to play sick yesterday? They should have benched his ass. He was terrible.

Walla Walla Dawg II

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Mon Oct 30, 2023 5:49 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 4:01 pm
Captain 97 wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 3:55 pm
Well shit, thread ender right there. Not much to add besides I agree 100%. Hoping we have been maybe holding back some stuff on offense the last couple of weeks, not wanting to show anything for the tough stretch run. Hope if I am correct and Penix is hurt that he is healing up. That said, if he was sick? Anyone watch Pat Mahomes try to play sick yesterday? They should have benched his ass. He was terrible.
Yeah, it could be a thread ender, but isn't. :D

I do believe that we have been holding a lot back;
Just look at the play calling the last two weeks. There has been a lot less motion on every play. Hell, some of the plays we don't even motion to read the defense. But then again, I didn't think we needed the extra motion to win the last two games, but with no motion, we certainly looked weaker.

The defense is quite the roller coaster. What will we get this next weekend. I believe that they will come out playing hard and making the right adjustments. This is the game that our defense will knock the current Heisman Winner out of the discussion.

And once again, I think Oregon knocked the living shit out of us. Yes we won, but the cost was great.
With any luck, we have healed the last two weeks and can get back to business as usual.

Any thoughts on my Asa Turner comment? Is the dude the most delicate player in UW history or what?

GO DAWGS

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Mon Oct 30, 2023 6:11 pm

Walla Walla Dawg II wrote:
Mon Oct 30, 2023 5:49 pm
I do believe that we have been holding a lot back;
Just look at the play calling the last two weeks. There has been a lot less motion on every play. Hell, some of the plays we don't even motion to read the defense. But then again, I didn't think we needed the extra motion to win the last two games, but with no motion, we certainly looked weaker.
Yes, that is a much better explanation of what I was getting at. I didn't get to see as much of either game the last two weeks because I was coaching, but your point about motion is a good one. We really use motion and formation to open things up. Playing closer to the vest the last two weeks could have been to not show the next three opponents as much to prepare with.
The defense is quite the roller coaster. What will we get this next weekend. I believe that they will come out playing hard and making the right adjustments. This is the game that our defense will knock the current Heisman Winner out of the discussion.
The defense was lights out against ASU. I hope that wasn't more a case of them being bad though.
And once again, I think Oregon knocked the living shit out of us. Yes we won, but the cost was great.
With any luck, we have healed the last two weeks and can get back to business as usual.
I sure agree. That game was a war. I am sure Penix wasn't the only one banged up.
Any thoughts on my Asa Turner comment? Is the dude the most delicate player in UW history or what?
GO DAWGS
He seems very injury prone. Very slightly built...maybe that is part of the reason why? And Hell Yes....GO DAWGS

Walla Walla Dawg II

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Fri Nov 03, 2023 9:40 pm

A healthy penis is always a good thing!!

Now, what will happen?

I see our defense giving up big plays, but doing enough to keep a lead. I also see Williams eating up our rush ends if they keep over-pursuing.

With no turnovers....

I see UW getting somewhere around 45-50 points
I also see USC getting somewhere around 45 points.

We have a higher top end because the USC defense is BAD!!
But is our defense much better? The advanced stats say it is, but we are at the Coliseum playing the current Heisman Winner.

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Nov 03, 2023 9:58 pm

Big healthy Penix Energy 37-47 577 yards and 7 TDs.
dt

Captain 97

Post by Captain 97 » Fri Nov 03, 2023 11:09 pm

I am feeling a lot better knowing that Penix had the flu last week. I think we hang 50 plus on the condoms.

57reasons

Post by 57reasons » Sat Nov 04, 2023 2:37 am

Neither team can stop the other (barring a QB injury either side). Random thoughts:

I dont think Grubb and co. so foolish as to have been holding back the playbook in such tight games as the last two, but Penix having a flu does give me more hope for a resurgence of brilliance.
Getting McMillan and/or Bernard healthy should help as well - way too many weapons to cover when all those guys are together.
And just getting Polk and Rome to be themselves instead of channeling the ghost of Husky receivers past with the drops last week (must have been a Halloween thing?) should go a long way.
I do think teams are cluing in to the back shoulder throws so will have to change that up a bit (4th quarter INT Exhibit A).

Yes we could stand to utilize more motion to identify the blitzers and check to the right protection,and create hesitation in the D.

Yes we need to sprinkle in the run when the numbers are there, but don't force it to try be something you're not. misdirection and counters with the pulling linemen tend to work better but the strength of the OL is its pass pro, not gonna overpower anyone on the remaining schedule (Wazzu perhaps excepted). Accept that and play to your strengths.

maintaining rush lanes defensively is going to be huge- worried at least much by Caleb's legs as his arm. He loves the long ball as much as the Dawgs do, but i wonder if he'll be as patient as Penix to take what's given - dont let Michael see this but this may be the time to play soft zone coverage and keep everything in front of you (man allows the monster QB scrambles). cant see our corners standing up to them in man anyway.

no shock if we lose but if it plays out how i imagine, Dawgs win 45 - 42 - the lone field goal being the game winner from 38 with under 30 seconds remaining.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Nov 04, 2023 12:51 pm

Funny I am old enough to remember when they canceled games because of a flu, now they just let guys with the flu go play. lol
dt