D-train

UW signing day tracker

Post by D-train » Wed Dec 20, 2023 4:09 pm

dt

D-train

Re: UW signing day tracker

Post by D-train » Wed Dec 20, 2023 4:11 pm

Four-star edge Ratumana Bulabalavu signs with UW
High school statistics are an admittedly poor predictor of future success.

But have you seen these statistics?

At Army and Navy Academy, Ratumana Bulabalavu — who signed with Washington Wednesday — contributed 99 tackles, 20 tackles for loss and 19 sacks in 11 games in 2023. That’s after he produced 108 tackles, 30 tackles for loss and 23.5 sacks as a junior in 2022.
dt

Walla Walla Dawg II

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:44 pm

High school statistics are an admittedly poor predictor of future su
ccess.

I call bullshit. It is a good indicator of future success.
Why do you think all those 5-star kids that go Ohio, Bama and Georgia are always on winning teams. I'm not saying that 3-stars and coaching doesn't matter, but the star system is a great indicator of future success.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:30 pm

Walla Walla Dawg II wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:44 pm
High school statistics are an admittedly poor predictor of future su
ccess.

I call bullshit. It is a good indicator of future success.
Why do you think all those 5-star kids that go Ohio, Bama and Georgia are always on winning teams. I'm not saying that 3-stars and coaching doesn't matter, but the star system is a great indicator of future success.
The guy was talking about his stats, not his stars.

Walla Walla Dawg II

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:44 pm

Although you are correct that I was referring to stars and not stats, but I stand by my premises and will say that stats are also a good indicator of future success.

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Dec 21, 2023 5:39 pm

Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:44 pm
Although you are correct that I was referring to stars and not stats, but I stand by my premises and will say that stats are also a good indicator of future success.
Sure but context is needed in terms of level of competition.
dt

Walla Walla Dawg II

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Thu Dec 21, 2023 6:32 pm

I can't argue any of it, but I do believe that there are smarter people than me (or any of us) that are assessing these young men. So, there needs to be some sort of acceptance on our part...unless we are going to become full-time high school football assessment persons.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:34 pm

Thu Dec 21, 2023 6:32 pm
I can't argue any of it, but I do believe that there are smarter people than me (or any of us) that are assessing these young men. So, there needs to be some sort of acceptance on our part...unless we are going to become full-time high school football assessment persons.
Which was the original posters point....it's not about stats. If HS players were ranked by stats alone then the 4 and 5 Star RBs would all be B 8 man kids, because those dudes run for 2 and 300 a game! He posted the stats that kid had, which were impressive, but his stats didn't earn his stars.

Walla Walla Dawg II

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:46 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:34 pm
Which was the original posters point....it's not about stats. If HS players were ranked by stats alone then the 4 and 5 Star RBs would all be B 8 man kids, because those dudes run for 2 and 300 a game! He posted the stats that kid had, which were impressive, but his stats didn't earn his stars.
This is where the assessment comes in.
And stats do matter.

57reasons

Post by 57reasons » Fri Dec 22, 2023 3:06 am

Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:46 pm
Michael K. wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2023 7:34 pm
This is where the assessment comes in.
And stats do matter.
This debate reminds me of the Oregon RB from Portland who racked up some 600 yards rushing and like 10 touchdowns in one high school game. Had a just decent but not great college career before being derailed by knee injury. never really the feature back. never seen a stat line like that before though.