The Polls

Sibelius Hindemith

Re: The Polls

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:15 pm

Vogelbomb wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:41 am
Don't sleep on the Sun Devils. The way I see it, Huskies should get quality wins from USC (today), Oregon t10, Utah t15, then P12 Champ either USC, Utah or Ariz St all of which would likely be t15. So coupled with the BYU win (top 30), we could see a team 12-1 with 4 t20 wins, a t30 win and a P12 title to boot. Just need a little help at the top. Either 2 losses for B10 champ or 2 losses for B12 champ.
The SEC currently has 5 undefeated teams in the top 10. It's highly likely (I'd say around 80% chance) that the top two from that group make the play-off. Then you have Clemson (which has one top25 team remaining on their schedule with #22 Wake Forest) and Notre Dame (with a home game against USC and road game against Michigan remaining). UW is not going to pass a 1-loss Oklahoma or a 1-Loss Ohio State, not to mention a 1-loss Wisconsin or Texas. Heck, the UW might not pass a 2-loss Oklahoma or Ohio St at this point, and probably not a 2-loss ND.

We need both the Bten and the B12 champion to have 2 losses (along with any other team in those conferences), and Notre Dame to lose two more games. It isn't going to happen.

Best case is we make the Rose Bowl and play Penn State/MSU/ISU/Wisconsin.

JAWA

Post by JAWA » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:16 pm

JAWA

Post by JAWA » Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:19 pm

Both Bonagura and Schlabach have the Dawgs taking on Oklahoma State in the Alamo Bowl for the time being: https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... ons-week-5

57reasons

Post by 57reasons » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:26 am

Vogelbomb wrote:
Don't sleep on the Sun Devils. The way I see it, Huskies should get quality wins from USC (today), Oregon t10, Utah t15, then P12 Champ either USC, Utah or Ariz St all of which would likely be t15. So coupled with the BYU win (top 30), we could see a team 12-1 with 4 t20 wins, a t30 win and a P12 title to boot. Just need a little help at the top. Either 2 losses for B10 champ or 2 losses for B12 champ.
i sleep on the Devils because they're inaccurate frosh QB makes Tim Tebow look like Drew Brees. Cant beat the better defenses of Uw, UO, and UU with just a running QB. On the broken-watch-is- right-twice-a-day theory they might pull off one of those upsets just because he can sling it, and both he and his tailback can really run.

Captain 97

Post by Captain 97 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:44 pm

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:15 pm
Vogelbomb wrote:
The SEC currently has 5 undefeated teams in the top 10. It's highly likely (I'd say around 80% chance) that the top two from that group make the play-off. Then you have Clemson (which has one top25 team remaining on their schedule with #22 Wake Forest) and Notre Dame (with a home game against USC and road game against Michigan remaining). UW is not going to pass a 1-loss Oklahoma or a 1-Loss Ohio State, not to mention a 1-loss Wisconsin or Texas. Heck, the UW might not pass a 2-loss Oklahoma or Ohio St at this point, and probably not a 2-loss ND.

We need both the Bten and the B12 champion to have 2 losses (along with any other team in those conferences), and Notre Dame to lose two more games. It isn't going to happen.

Here are the 5 SEC teams
Florida - Plays Auburn, LSU, Georgia
Georgia - Plays Florida, Auburn, and A&M
Alabama - Plays A&M, LSU and Auburn
Auburn - Plays Florida, LSU, Georgia and Alabama
LSU - Plays Florida, Auburn, Alabama, and A&M

Those teams are going to pile up a bunch of losses. It is literally impossible for more than 2 of them to go undefeated and if they do they have to play each other in the championship game. I just don't see the committee putting in a team that just lost its conference championship game. I think the only way they get two in the championship is if we have a repeat of the 2017 season where Auburn made the SEC championship game over Alabama with extra non conference losses on their schedule. Even for that to happen it required both the Big 10 and Pac 12 to have 2 loss conference champs. A second SEC team is not going to get in over a 1 loss Big ten, Pac 12 or Big 12 Champ. If Ohio State or USC had had one loss that year they would have been in.

Vogelbomb

Post by Vogelbomb » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:47 pm

Sibelius Hindemith wrote: The SEC currently has 5 undefeated teams in the top 10. It's highly likely (I'd say around 80% chance) that the top two from that group make the play-off. Then you have Clemson (which has one top25 team remaining on their schedule with #22 Wake Forest) and Notre Dame (with a home game against USC and road game against Michigan remaining). UW is not going to pass a 1-loss Oklahoma or a 1-Loss Ohio State, not to mention a 1-loss Wisconsin or Texas. Heck, the UW might not pass a 2-loss Oklahoma or Ohio St at this point, and probably not a 2-loss ND.

Huh? They will most definitely pass all 2-loss teams, even if it's Alabama AS LONG AS UW wins out w/ a solid p12 champ showing, ie dominant performance over Utah or USC or ASU at 10-2 at worst

Vogelbomb

Post by Vogelbomb » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:55 pm

We only need 1 of the B10 or B12 champs to get to two losses as that becomes the spot we take.
ACC Champ - Clemson. Absolute lock
SEC Champ - predicting LSU
B10/P12/B12 - 2 spots for 3 teams

I don't even think Notre Dame is a rival given they don't have a champ gm and won't get to 12 wins. We will pass them if we go 12-1 as P12 champs.

Getting either Oklahoma and Ohio State to two losses given their current play (I think Ohio State is the best team in the country right now) is unlikely, yes, but that is still what needs to happen for UW to make playoff.

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:14 pm

Can't believe we made it so difficult by losing to Cal.............again.
dt

Hanjag

Post by Hanjag » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:28 am

Michael K. wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:12 pm
Is it the lack of style points in beating UC Davis, no appreciation for the Pac 12, or a loss of respect for the Huskies that keep Cal out of the Top 25?

I realize it was only a one point win on a last second FG, but not too long ago the Huskies are talked about as a dark horse Final 4 candidate. Cal punched us in the damn mouth. Cal deserves to be ranked more than we do, and probably more than WSU does.

Stuff like this is why pre-season rankings are stupid. Let's play a month and then decide. Of course, that is basically what we get with the selection committee, right?

I was disgusted by the drops, the dumb penalties and the rush defense by us on Saturday. But, Cal deserves more credit, IMO, than to be "others receiving votes." Oh, and damn you for leaving us Justin Wilcox. Speak softly and carry a big stick...Jimmy could learn from that.
Dead wrong! Every year you can look at the handful of teams that get 1 or2-3 5 star recruits. You can look at teams that get mostly 4 star and the number of them, You can compare the top 5 or so programs { Ohio state or the elite 1 or 2 BIG Penn ST., Michigan, , Whatever the top 2 or 3 SEC teams [ Florida, Bama, LSU, Georgia, Auburn], ACC [ Clemson, FSU, Miami} BIG 10[ Texas, OK], Pac 12 Pete's USC, Stanford, Oregon, and probably UW

PAC 12 have that academic focus and basically some football players are not focused on academic pursuits. I guess Notre Dame also has that challenge. I know the SEC IS weak academically I would guess the BIG is closer to the PAC than the Big 12and ACC but the ACC has some high ranked programs as well.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:06 pm

Hanjag wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:28 am
Michael K. wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:12 pm
Is it the lack of style points in beating UC Davis, no appreciation for the Pac 12, or a loss of respect for the Huskies that keep Cal out of the Top 25?

I realize it was only a one point win on a last second FG, but not too long ago the Huskies are talked about as a dark horse Final 4 candidate. Cal punched us in the damn mouth. Cal deserves to be ranked more than we do, and probably more than WSU does.

Stuff like this is why pre-season rankings are stupid. Let's play a month and then decide. Of course, that is basically what we get with the selection committee, right?

I was disgusted by the drops, the dumb penalties and the rush defense by us on Saturday. But, Cal deserves more credit, IMO, than to be "others receiving votes." Oh, and damn you for leaving us Justin Wilcox. Speak softly and carry a big stick...Jimmy could learn from that.
Dead wrong! Every year you can look at the handful of teams that get 1 or2-3 5 star recruits. You can look at teams that get mostly 4 star and the number of them, You can compare the top 5 or so programs { Ohio state or the elite 1 or 2 BIG Penn ST., Michigan, , Whatever the top 2 or 3 SEC teams [ Florida, Bama, LSU, Georgia, Auburn], ACC [ Clemson, FSU, Miami} BIG 10[ Texas, OK], Pac 12 Pete's USC, Stanford, Oregon, and probably UW

PAC 12 have that academic focus and basically some football players are not focused on academic pursuits. I guess Notre Dame also has that challenge. I know the SEC IS weak academically I would guess the BIG is closer to the PAC than the Big 12and ACC but the ACC has some high ranked programs as well.
Huh?