California Bill to allow student athletes to sign endorsement deals

Sibelius Hindemith

California Bill to allow student athletes to sign endorsement deals

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:10 am

If it passes, this could alter the balance of power heavily in favor of California colleges in recruiting. The NCAA adamantly opposes it...

https://sports.yahoo.com/california-law ... 11884.html

Oso Dorado

Re: California Bill to allow student athletes to sign endorsement deals

Post by Oso Dorado » Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:07 am

I think that student athletes owning the right to their images and names is the right thing. Having this be law in only one state would be awkward, but maybe it will spur change.

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:19 pm

Oso Dorado wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 3:07 am
I think that student athletes owning the right to their images and names is the right thing. Having this be law in only one state would be awkward, but maybe it will spur change.
Be careful what you wish for....
Much as we might guess, we don’t know what kind of impact this piece of legislation would have on college sports. We know that it wouldn’t go into effect until 2023, and that it would prevent the NCAA from punishing players who violated its rules regarding endorsements and likeness profiting, but beyond that it’s a question mark.

Leach, I assume, worries that a chance to earn cold, hard cash up front would woo talented players to California schools — particularly when deep-pocket boosters could exploit the rule. Wanna come to USC? Here are three guys that would pay $50,000 each for an autograph. UCLA? Here’s an alumnus who wants to give you $300,000 to endorse his company. My guess is that the law would try its best to mitigate corruption, but when you create an opportunity the sharks usually find a way.
https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/uw- ... y-careful/

Vogelbomb

Post by Vogelbomb » Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:42 pm

Boom! This is huge. Bout damn time.

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:52 pm

You guys don't get it. This is going to lead to massive corruption with college football programs in California. Whether through boosters or other shady middlemen, they are going to arrange for endosemsnt opportunities for athletes and, more importantly, for recruits as a way of securing commitments. The recruiting landscape on the west coast, and perhaps nationally, will be remade with a significant advantage for programs in California. It isn't just that the Pac12 schools in Cali will thrive. UW will be losing out on potential commits to the Fresno and San Diego States. That is, if the NCAA doesn't step in and do something.

Keep in mind, most recruited football players already get:
1. Free tuition
2. Free room and board
3. Catered meals
4. Free physical training with state of the art equipment and personal trainers
5. The opportunity to build their stock as NFL signees and become millionnaires in short order

Captain 97

Post by Captain 97 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:33 pm

I don't understand what this bill is accomplishing. As the law stands now It is not currently illegal from a criminal or civil standpoint for college athletes to profit from their likeness. The government is not preventing them from doing this. It is purely a question of competitive eligibility with a non governmental entity (The NCAA).

California passing a bill does not and can not change the rules of the NCAA. If a student goes out and signs an endorsement deal after this Bill goes into effect the outcome will still be suspension by the NCAA and if a team plays that player the team will be disqualified. Basically this is toothless and amounts to nothing more than a public proclamation that California thinks athletes should be allowed to market themselves.

Really the only thing that California could do from a legal standpoint is to force their state run schools to withdraw from the NCAA which would basically destroy their schools athletic programs.

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:18 pm

I don't think that is correct. Did you read the ST article i posted?
Much as we might guess, we don’t know what kind of impact this piece of legislation would have on college sports. We know that it wouldn’t go into effect until 2023, and that it would prevent the NCAA from punishing players who violated its rules regarding endorsements and likeness profiting, but beyond that it’s a question mark.

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:19 pm

I don't think that is correct. Did you read the ST article i posted?

Captain 97

Post by Captain 97 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:41 pm

That would never stand up in court. A state government cant just randomly tell private entities who they have to allow in their organization.

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:52 am

Well, i'm hoping the NCAA will have some leverage in this and the backbone to do what you suggest. Assuming this "fair pay to play" law goes into effect one can surmise what the fallout would be. Other states would have to follow suit with similar laws. Imagine what it would be like with Nike being able to sign OU football players to endorsement deals for as much money as they felt necessary to attract the top recruits in the country. Very few schools would be able to compete with them, as well as any other programs with de facto corporate sponsorship. It's a nightmare scenario and "fairness" has nothing to do with it.