BYU

Hasslecracked

BYU

Post by Hasslecracked » Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:46 pm

After upsetting Tennessee and USC, BYU welcomes us to Provo. How does everyone feel about this game?

Sibelius Hindemith

Re: BYU

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:07 pm

I'm most worried about those Mountain West officials, who basically stole the game from USC yesterday.

JAWA

Post by JAWA » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:37 pm

The Dawgs better be ready for this one. Always tough to win at Provo and they'll be using the revenge factor from last year's loss up here.

JAWA

Post by JAWA » Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:44 pm

Wow, opening lines have the Dawgs as 6.5 point favorites: https://twitter.com/WestCoastCFB/status ... 8986925056

Captain 97

Post by Captain 97 » Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:37 pm

Hasslecracked wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:46 pm
After upsetting Tennessee and USC, BYU welcomes us to Provo. How does everyone feel about this game?
Was them beating Tennesee really an upset? Tennesee lost their opener to Georgia State who just got blown out by Western Michigan 57-10.

I am not scared by BYU at all.

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:59 pm

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:07 pm
I'm most worried about those Mountain West officials, who basically stole the game from USC yesterday.
What? It was big 12 officials and in no way did they steal the game. Its hilarious to have a fan of a p12 team complaining about another conferences officials though. P12 officials are the worst in the country. Hopefully its not P12 this weekend.
Last edited by Juliooooo on Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

Adopt a Mariner-Julio Rodriguez

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:17 pm

BYU fan here, figure I'll chime in here since I'm on the forum already. Should be a better game than last year. BYU isn't great, and is a few plays from being 0-3, but they have a lot more confidence coming off the last 2 wins. Should be a closer game than last year, but BYU will have to play great and Washington will have to have an off game for BYU to win.

BYU is much better than last year. Wilson is a much better QB than Mangum was, despite being only a sophomore to Mangum being a Sr. BYU's top RB last year is now 3rd string, as they have 2 grad transfers, including one from South Carolina who is a big time recruit, and could possibly end up being a mid-late round draft pick with his size and speed combo. They have more depth at TE, and most of the receivers return and are looking much better this year (although there really isn't a big time receiver in the group).

Defensively, the DL has been playing much better, and the NT Tonga is a force. The LB don't have the experience or the big time playmaker they had in the past (Takitaki was 3rd round pick, and Fred Warner was a 3rd round pick before that), but they have a lot of young talent that seems to be stepping up. A lot of them were banged up last week, so depth may be an issue there. Probably the weakness of the defense. DB is better and more physical than last year at CB.

BYU usually plays pretty conservatively on defense and doesn't generally create much pressure. It was a horrible combo last year as Browning went 23-25, mostly off quick screen passes to the WR and RB. Hopefully BYU has a better gameplan against that, but I'm worried Washington will move the ball at will to get to the Redzone.

Offensively, the RB Williams is the best playmaker, and has been solid against some pretty good talent. Bushman at TE is probably the biggest playmaker, but teams have been doubling him and he hasn't been much of a factor because of it. The WR have generally been a weakness for BYU, but this year they are doing a better job of making tough catches, and not trying to do too much.

Anyway, I just hope for a good game and a better effort than last year from BYU. Going 2-2 early in the season is better than I expected, and the team looks better than last year overall. Heres to a good game, and that everyone stays healthy.
The poster formerly known as Kingfelixk. With a new forum comes a new boardname. Julio is my guy, plus we share a birthday, so that's Culiooooo

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:07 am

Juliooooo wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 7:17 pm
BYU fan here, figure I'll chime in here since I'm on the forum already. Should be a better game than last year. BYU isn't great, and is a few plays from being 0-3, but they have a lot more confidence coming off the last 2 wins. Should be a closer game than last year, but BYU will have to play great and Washington will have to have an off game for BYU to win.

BYU is much better than last year. Wilson is a much better QB than Mangum was, despite being only a sophomore to Mangum being a Sr. BYU's top RB last year is now 3rd string, as they have 2 grad transfers, including one from South Carolina who is a big time recruit, and could possibly end up being a mid-late round draft pick with his size and speed combo. They have more depth at TE, and most of the receivers return and are looking much better this year (although there really isn't a big time receiver in the group).

Defensively, the DL has been playing much better, and the NT Tonga is a force. The LB don't have the experience or the big time playmaker they had in the past (Takitaki was 3rd round pick, and Fred Warner was a 3rd round pick before that), but they have a lot of young talent that seems to be stepping up. A lot of them were banged up last week, so depth may be an issue there. Probably the weakness of the defense. DB is better and more physical than last year at CB.

BYU usually plays pretty conservatively on defense and doesn't generally create much pressure. It was a horrible combo last year as Browning went 23-25, mostly off quick screen passes to the WR and RB. Hopefully BYU has a better gameplan against that, but I'm worried Washington will move the ball at will to get to the Redzone.

Offensively, the RB Williams is the best playmaker, and has been solid against some pretty good talent. Bushman at TE is probably the biggest playmaker, but teams have been doubling him and he hasn't been much of a factor because of it. The WR have generally been a weakness for BYU, but this year they are doing a better job of making tough catches, and not trying to do too much.

Anyway, I just hope for a good game and a better effort than last year from BYU. Going 2-2 early in the season is better than I expected, and the team looks better than last year overall. Heres to a good game, and that everyone stays healthy.
Hey what are you doing forum hopping! :)
dt

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:17 am

Juliooooo wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:59 pm
Sun Sep 15, 2019 5:07 pm
What? It was big 12 officials and in no way did they steal the game. Its hilarious to have a fan of a p12 team complaining about another conferences officials though. P12 officials are the worst in the country. Hopefully its not P12 this weekend.
Didn't you see the last minute of the 4th quarter? There was an offensive pass interference penalty against USC where the BYU defensive back was getting beat and fell down into the WR's legs, essentially tackling him. Ostensibly, because there had been some insignificant contact between them off the break they called it offensive PI. The commentators as well as the entire USC sideline (needless to say) were sure it was going the other way. It would have resulted in a USC first down just short of midfield with 41 seconds remaining in a tie game.

So, yeah, they likely had a victory stolen from them. If it wasn't corruption, it was certainly incompetence. And I have never defended Pac12 officiating so I'm not sure why you felt the need to bring that up.

Juliooooo

Post by Juliooooo » Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:33 am

Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:17 am

Didn't you see the last minute of the 4th quarter? There was an offensive pass interference penalty against USC where the BYU defensive back was getting beat and fell down into the WR's legs, essentially tackling him. Ostensibly, because there had been some insignificant contact between them off the break they called it offensive PI. The commentators as well as the entire USC sideline (needless to say) were sure it was going the other way. It would have resulted in a USC first down just short of midfield with 41 seconds remaining in a tie game.

So, yeah, they likely had a victory stolen from them. If it wasn't corruption, it was certainly incompetence. And I have never defended Pac12 officiating so I'm not sure why you felt the need to bring that up.
Ummm, wrong. The defender was running with the receiver, who pushed him with his right arm in the Left shoulder pad causing him to fall down. It was the right call. I was surprised it was made because it is usually missed, but it was the right call. Go back and watch it. Only reason the defender falls is because of the push by the offensive player.

Also, the penalty would have been 15 yards, si they would have been at the 34 yard line. Hardly a given they would have scored

As far as bad calls, how about the TD they gave to Pittman on a very similar play. BYU CB was running with him, the receiver pulls him down, creating contact, and keeping him from making a play on the ball. The receiver steps out of bound, then re-establishes and catches the ball. Flag is thrown for illegal touching, but some other ref from about 30 yards away comes in and claims it is a force out, so they call it a TD. They go to review, but the only way to overturn that there was a rule out, is if its clear there was no contact at all. There was contact, by the receiver who actually could have been called for offensive PI for pulling the defender down. Might have been the reason they called it later in the game because they saw it in the replay, but can't make that call via replay so they were looking for it later on.
Last edited by Juliooooo on Tue Sep 17, 2019 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.