Has anyone heard of the new GM

D-train

Has anyone heard of the new GM

Post by D-train » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:00 am

I guess he's a first ballot HOFer??? Never heard of the guy in my life.
dt

JAWA

Re: Has anyone heard of the new GM

Post by JAWA » Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:37 am

I asked that question last night in the "Oak View hires 28 year-old woman..." thread. Sounds like a good hire but perhaps those in the hockey world can clue us in about this guy?

Slargent80

Post by Slargent80 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:09 am

He won two Stanley Cups with the Pittsburgh Penguins. Played alongside Mario LeMieux, Jaromir Jager, Paul Coffey, and Tom Barrasso.

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:02 am

Slargent80 wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:09 am
He won two Stanley Cups with the Pittsburgh Penguins. Played alongside Mario LeMieux, Jaromir Jager, Paul Coffey, and Tom Barrasso.
Thanks. Oddly I have heard of all those guys but only thought of my fav NFL player as a kid when I heard his name. lol

https://www.google.com/search?q=russ+fr ... 1ZWelA8ZaM:
dt

Dr Naysay

Post by Dr Naysay » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:14 am

The guy is an NHL legend. He did a good job at Carolina developing them but he was either too hesitant or held back by ownership to take them to the next level. He drafted and developed all these young guys that tore it up for the Carolina Hurricanes this past season where they went to the conference finals. Worst thing is that he wasn't able to get Carolina to the playoffs quick enough, but 1 year after he left they immediately go on that run with a roster that's mostly his creation. He is the best guy available considering some of our other options weren't prepared to wait.

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:15 pm

Dr Naysay wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:14 am
The guy is an NHL legend. He did a good job at Carolina developing them but he was either too hesitant or held back by ownership to take them to the next level. He drafted and developed all these young guys that tore it up for the Carolina Hurricanes this past season where they went to the conference finals. Worst thing is that he wasn't able to get Carolina to the playoffs quick enough, but 1 year after he left they immediately go on that run with a roster that's mostly his creation. He is the best guy available considering some of our other options weren't prepared to wait.
Calkins has a piece on him today in the Times. Echo's your thoughts for the most part.
dt

Dr Naysay

Post by Dr Naysay » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:58 am

D-train wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:15 pm
Dr Naysay wrote:
Calkins has a piece on him today in the Times. Echo's your thoughts for the most part.
He's a smart dude, he is a thinker very quiet and very modest which is why despite some excellent numbers in his career he was not one of the ones you heard of on that great Pittsburgh team. I would wager that he has learnt some things from his Carolina errors and become a better GM for it. Now all I pray is we don't get some god awful name, I say we as a LA Kings fan but I am ready to jump ship and be all in on Seattle.

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:30 pm

Dr Naysay wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:58 am
D-train wrote:
Dr Naysay wrote:
He's a smart dude, he is a thinker very quiet and very modest which is why despite some excellent numbers in his career he was not one of the ones you heard of on that great Pittsburgh team. I would wager that he has learnt some things from his Carolina errors and become a better GM for it. Now all I pray is we don't get some god awful name, I say we as a LA Kings fan but I am ready to jump ship and be all in on Seattle.
How on earth did you become a Hockey fan??? :)
dt

Dr Naysay

Post by Dr Naysay » Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:52 am

D-train wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:30 pm
Dr Naysay wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:58 am
D-train wrote:

How on earth did you become a Hockey fan??? :)
I loved all the Big 4 US sports growing up even though we never got coverage. We eventually got Football and Hockey here and then I moved to Scotland where we got coverage of all four.

Sadly since moving back to SA they have no coverage of anything but we still have access to online stuff.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:34 am

You are a unique dude dr. I look forward to meeting you
dt