OT: Great performances

Walla Walla Dawg II

Re: OT: Great performances

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Fri Sep 08, 2023 2:09 pm

auroraave wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 2:35 am
I've been wanting to drop a random performances thread for music junkies, so here we go.

1974 - Eagles, Already Gone. I was never a big Eagles fan, but have a lot of respect for 'em, mostly because I live in So Cal and they're in my DNA by association. Just setting the stage - this ain't about being a big Eagles fan.

Don Felder absolutely owns this song on so many levels. If this was a baseball he hits the f*cking cover off of the ball with this scorching performance.
The beauty is in listening to the limitations of the vocals - which is not a knock, they didn't need to be, and then watching Felder absolutely blow the doors off the song, and blowing the rest of the band away - is a breathtaking performance.

Limited attention spanners: go to 2:00, then to 3:30. The guitar work is off the charts. I dare you to watch the second solo only once. Absolutely epic. And this is from a marginal, if not begrudging Eagles fan. Too often they would trend to country, which I so not like, but Felder walks an incredible line here between rock and country. Truly an incredible performance.

Gentlemen - thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSWDrfl ... =aerofan33
I just went back to the first post in this thread wondering what song kicked off this huge thread.

The video is gone because of copyright infringement.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

douche

Post by douche » Tue Sep 26, 2023 8:28 pm

Ha ha, saw that myself a few weeks ago.

Has anyone ever listened to this? I think it's brilliant, and way ahead of its time. This was 1979. Gary Numan is criminally underrated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rKJf_DWecU

ddraig

Post by ddraig » Wed Sep 27, 2023 2:57 pm

I wonder what we'd think in two categories. First, "Greatest British Rock Bands," and second, "Greatest American Rock Bands." The first would likely come down to The Rolling Stones and The Beatles. The second? THAT would be up in the air. Beach Boys? Eagles? Doors? Byrds? The Band? Fleetwood Mac? Aerosmith? Damn. Too many to list.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Sep 27, 2023 3:29 pm

ddraig wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 2:57 pm
I wonder what we'd think in two categories. First, "Greatest British Rock Bands," and second, "Greatest American Rock Bands." The first would likely come down to The Rolling Stones and The Beatles. The second? THAT would be up in the air. Beach Boys? Eagles? Doors? Byrds? The Band? Fleetwood Mac? Aerosmith? Damn. Too many to list.
The first is Led Zepplin. I would add the Who and Pink Floyd

I despise the Beach Boys and wouldn't even consider them Rock and Roll. Their sound is nails on a chalk board to me. Like the Eagles. The Doors are a bit too depressing. Love Fleetwood Mac.

I would add:
The Doobie Brothers, Guns and Roses and Lynyrd Skynyrd.
dt

douche

Post by douche » Wed Sep 27, 2023 4:16 pm

D-train wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 3:29 pm
ddraig wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 2:57 pm
The first is Led Zepplin. I would add the Who and Pink Floyd

I despise the Beach Boys and wouldn't even consider them Rock and Roll. Their sound is nails on a chalk board to me. Like the Eagles. The Doors are a bit too depressing. Love Fleetwood Mac.

I would add:
The Doobie Brothers, Guns and Roses and Lynyrd Skynyrd.
British = Zeppelin, Floyd, The Who, Stones, Beatles fer sure. Along with Black Sabbath, T. Rex, Queen and The Kinks. One could probably include The Clash and Radiohead, although I'm not a fan of either one. Same with Oasis.

Can't stand Eagles. And not only are the Doors are a bit depressing, they're too psychedelic for me.

American = Jimi Hendrix, Van Halen, Tom Petty, Elvis Presley, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Journey, ZZ Top, CCR, Nirvana, Chili Peppers, Bob Seger, Bob Dylan, Alice Cooper, Cheap Trick, Blondie, KISS, The Cars... Talking Heads, REM?

And I haven't even mentioned all the worn out bands such as The Byrds, The Allman Brothers Band, Boston and Steely Dan.

Walla Walla Dawg II

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Wed Sep 27, 2023 4:38 pm

And when you are talking about America, are we referring to North America?
What about Rush, Emerson Lake & Palmer, William Shatner, Triumph.

I threw Shatner in there just because he's Canadian.....and GREAT.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Sep 27, 2023 5:08 pm

Walla Walla Dawg II wrote:
Wed Sep 27, 2023 4:38 pm
And when you are talking about America, are we referring to North America?
What about Rush, Emerson Lake & Palmer, William Shatner, Triumph.

I threw Shatner in there just because he's Canadian.....and GREAT.
Rush and Triumph for sure! I saw Rush in the Cavs old Arena in Richfield, OH in 1991.
dt

Walla Walla Dawg II

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Wed Sep 27, 2023 5:48 pm

I saw Rush back in 1996 or 1997 up in Vancouver BC.
Great show, but not the best concert I've ever been to.

Best concert would be Queensryche at the Seattle Center in around 1992 (New Years Eve).
They were finishing up their Empire Tour and did Mind Crime in it's entirety at the concert at well. They even came out at the stroke of mid-night and toasted the new year in with the crowd. I think the concert was from 10 until 12:30. Just crazy.

gil

Post by gil » Wed Sep 27, 2023 6:00 pm

Fleetwood Mac for the best British/American band. Pretty good music (much more blues oriented) when they were all Brits, i.e., before the Americans Lindsey Buckingham and Stevie Nicks joined.

I'll add Cream on the British side, and Creedence Clearwater Revival on the American.

douche

Post by douche » Wed Sep 27, 2023 6:14 pm

How did I miss Cream? :D