All-time presidential rankings

DavidGee24

All-time presidential rankings

Post by DavidGee24 » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:40 pm

I was just perusing through different historical rankings of all the presidents in US history, presumably by folks who know a hell of lot more than I or any of us here do.

So basically, in combining various sources for rankings we have four "quadrants" of presidents.

Top quadrant:
Washington
Jefferson
Madison
Jackson
Lincoln (most have him #1 all-time)
Teddy Roosevelt
Wilson
FDR
Truman
Eisenhower
Reagan
The biggest surprise here for me was Jackson. I figured he'd lose a lot of points for The Trail Of Tears, but on the other hand this was a man who let someone shoot him first in a duel and then capped the poor shlub, survived the first assassination attempt of a US president because the assailant's gun was too scared to fire bullets at him knowing it would just piss him off (justified when Jackson then beat the crap out of the assailant), and later expressed regret for not hanging John Calhoun...his vice president. When Teddy Roosevelt looks at your portrait and says, "Now THERE was a sumbitch I wouldn't want to tangle with", you get top-quadrant status.

Second quadrant:
Adams
Monroe
Quincy Adams
Polk
Cleveland
McKinley
JFK
LBJ
HW Bush
Clinton
Obama
Ha ha, Obama in the second quadrant. That by itself is going to make this thread a lot more fun to see unfold. And I'm pleased to see HW Bush here, I got to meet him in The Gulf War and in one of the issues of Time Magazine from November (26th?) of 1990 I'm in a picture standing on top of a cargo box about 25 feet from him as he's addressing the troops.

Third quadrant:
Van Buren
Hayes
Garfield
Arthur
B. Harrison
Taft
Coolidge
Nixon
Ford
Carter
W Bush
How do you give Garfield any kind of rating when he got capped six months into office? And how in the world is someone with the name "Calvin Coolidge" a WHITE guy?

Fourth quadrant:
WH Harrison
Tyler
Taylor
Fillmore
Pierce
Buchanan
A. Johnson
Grant
Harding
Hoover
Trump
Trump in the fourth quadrant, that'll go over like a fart in a two-man horse costume here. This is why it's not only important to be a US president, but to act like a US president. And as with Garfield, how do you rate Harrison, who croaked from pneumonia 31 days after he took office? Just how much bad could he have done in that time, minus the time he was bedridden? Did he send the entire US Army to invade Bouvet Island? "Well, they should be easy to beat."

D-train

Re: All-time presidential rankings

Post by D-train » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:05 am

Fascinating and thanks for the laughs. Post that pic of you that you mentioned.
dt

DavidGee24

Post by DavidGee24 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:29 am

I used to have it then lost it, and I've never gotten around to getting it again, which probably wouldn't be difficult because all I'd have to do is subscribe to Time online, go back and find that issue (and I've got the month right) and then save the photo assuming the site lets you go page by page. If anything I need to put it on my wall just because my girlfriend hates the Bush family.

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:17 pm

Probably a good thing she isn't a fan of Bush. ;)
dt

Moe Gibbs

Post by Moe Gibbs » Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:02 pm

https://www.scionofzion.com/federalreserve.htm

Read this then decide if Woodrow Wilson belongs anywhere but at the very bottom of every list.

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:12 pm

First black face scandals and now black nipple scandals.

https://twitter.com/madisongesiotto/sta ... 5992302592
dt

DavidGee24

Post by DavidGee24 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:29 am

Moe Gibbs wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:02 pm

Read this then decide if Woodrow Wilson belongs anywhere but at the very bottom of every list.
I started to read it but by the time I got to the second paragraph I was really, really, REALLY bored. Not really interested in what some yay-hoo with way too much time on his hands has to say. Perhaps you could just summarize it in 100 words or less?

Also, these rankings were done by various scholars and historians with (presumably) little to no agenda beyond providing fair rankings, our current Commander In Chief possibly notwithstanding. No offense, but I'd prefer to give a lot more weight to their opinions than to Random Internet Guy. You can feel more than free to express the same sentiments about my feelings toward Maalox Smith.

Moe Gibbs

Post by Moe Gibbs » Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:38 am

I knew before you replied that this was going to be your reply.

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:46 am

DavidGee24 wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:29 am
Moe Gibbs wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:02 pm

I started to read it but by the time I got to the second paragraph I was really, really, REALLY bored. Not really interested in what some yay-hoo with way too much time on his hands has to say. Perhaps you could just summarize it in 100 words or less?

Also, these rankings were done by various scholars and historians with (presumably) little to no agenda beyond providing fair rankings, our current Commander In Chief possibly notwithstanding. No offense, but I'd prefer to give a lot more weight to their opinions than to Random Internet Guy. You can feel more than free to express the same sentiments about my feelings toward Maalox Smith.
Say what you will but the guy is definitely a brilliant website designer. The Star Wars special effects team has nothing on him.
dt

DavidGee24

Post by DavidGee24 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:43 pm

Moe Gibbs wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:38 am
I knew before you replied that this was going to be your reply.
Actually, you didn't, nor did you have any idea I was going to reply. You're just trying to save face and even if you did, that just makes you look even more foolish because you're admitting that you don't know squat and are relying on others to do your talking for you.

Let me give you a piece of advice: in the future, say something like "I think Woodrow Wilson was badly overrated" and then give your reasoning in your own words as opposed to doing what you always do, cut-and-paste random articles and try to pass them off as your own knowledge.

So why don't you tell us in your own words why Wilson actually sucked, and if there are any other presidents you'd like to say something about, have at it. We're listening.