So much for the theory that the homeless problem is due to housing shortage

D-train

So much for the theory that the homeless problem is due to housing shortage

Post by D-train » Wed Jul 05, 2023 10:58 pm

dt

Walla Walla Dawg II

Re: So much for the theory that the homeless problem is due to housing shortage

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Wed Jul 05, 2023 11:25 pm

I really liked the part when they said they were on Food Stamps, then the journalist stated "So you can make it on your own".

If they are dependent on Food Stamps, how are they making it on their own?

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Thu Jul 06, 2023 5:10 am

I might have a little more sympathy for them if they would make the slightest effort to clean up after themselves. How hard is it to put your trash into plastic bags?

maoling

Post by maoling » Thu Jul 06, 2023 2:26 pm

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2023 5:10 am
I might have a little more sympathy for them if they would make the slightest effort to clean up after themselves. How hard is it to put your trash into plastic bags?
Or not leave your dookie on the street.

douche

Post by douche » Thu Jul 06, 2023 6:32 pm

There is a segment of homeless who legitimately want out of that situation.

Then there are the homeless who just want 'free stuff'. Free housing, food, etc. Society ends up enabling these people to the point where they don't want to do anything. And all that really does is create an entire culture of entitled pigs. People who can't be bothered to clean themselves up or pick up after themselves. People who have no interest in giving up the drugs and alcohol. People who have given up on life.

An endless money pit that leads nowhere.

$24 million bucks to turn an old hotel into a homeless shelter... it will be interesting to see where this is at 2 years from now. Of the $24 million investment: $15 million was used to acquire the former Days Inn, $5 million to rehabilitate the property, and $4 million to run the place for the next two years.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/ci ... r-AA1d51os
Last edited by douche on Thu Jul 06, 2023 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gil

Post by gil » Thu Jul 06, 2023 7:13 pm

douche wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2023 6:32 pm
There is a segment of homeless who legitimately want out of that situation.

Then there are the homeless who just want 'free stuff'. Free housing, food, etc. Society ends up enabling these people to the point where they don't want to do anything. And all that really does is create an entire culture of entitled pigs. People who can't be bothered to clean themselves up or pick up after themselves. People who have no interest in giving up the drugs and alcohol. People who have given up on life.

An endless money pit that leads nowhere.

$24 million bucks to turn an old hotel into a homeless shelter... it will be interesting to se where this is at 2 years from now. Of the $24 million investment: $15 million was used to acquire the former Days Inn, $5 million to rehabilitate the property, and $4 million to run the place for the next two years.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/ci ... r-AA1d51os
Agree. Like most "big" problems, there is not a single, simple solution ... otherwise someone would have have tried it. I particularly push back on the "housing shortage" explanation because I see my single family neighborhood in danger -- due to multiple family development, in the name of solving the housing crisis. Yeah, I wish there were more "affordable housing", but my house is not "affordable" and I don't want it to be. I like the equity I've built.

douche

Post by douche » Thu Jul 06, 2023 9:42 pm

And how did you achieve said equity? Oh, that's right. By working and making an effort. And herein lies the problem... some people work for the things they have and the situation they've created for themselves while others make zero effort, coupled with complete apathy and indifference.

Then those same people complain. About EVERYTHING. And expect to be looked after. They've given up and have embraced the victim mentality wholeheartedly. And once the victim mentality takes hold, there's no turning back.

I'm all for helping others and providing a 'hand up'. But if you're looking for a permanent handout, forget it. It's unfortunate because many good people fall on hard times and never receive the help they need to get back on their feet. They're outnumbered by the permanent homeless who have no desire to improve their situation.

I have a feeling that this $24 million dollar 'solution' will fall flat. We'll know more in 2 years. One can only hope that those who truly need help will receive it.

358084943_658736039615694_7611147626460726315_n.jpg
358084943_658736039615694_7611147626460726315_n.jpg (58.38 KiB) Viewed 297 times

Walla Walla Dawg II

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:09 pm

douche wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2023 9:42 pm
And how did you achieve said equity? Oh, that's right. By working and making an effort. And herein lies the problem... some people work for the things they have and the situation they've created for themselves while others make zero effort, coupled with complete apathy and indifference.

Then those same people complain. About EVERYTHING. And expect to be looked after. They've given up and have embraced the victim mentality wholeheartedly. And once the victim mentality takes hold, there's no turning back.

I'm all for helping others and providing a 'hand up'. But if you're looking for a permanent handout, forget it. It's unfortunate because many good people fall on hard times and never receive the help they need to get back on their feet. They're outnumbered by the permanent homeless who have no desire to improve their situation.

I have a feeling that this $24 million dollar 'solution' will fall flat. We'll know more in 2 years. One can only hope that those who truly need help will receive it.

358084943_658736039615694_7611147626460726315_n.jpg
Exactly how every hard-working person in the country feels.
Let me amend that..... That is the way every hard-working self-made person in the country feels.

Grandma Lynn

Post by Grandma Lynn » Fri Jul 07, 2023 3:31 am

We all know hat most of the
homeless don't want housing!

GL_Storm

Post by GL_Storm » Fri Jul 07, 2023 4:13 am

The housing shortage issue isn't the same thing as the homeless problem. Yes, there is a relationship between the issues, but realistically, the people that we're all thinking about when we talk about "the homeless problem" are the drug-addicted and mentally ill that are living permanently on the street, creating encampments, committing crimes against people and property, and just generally being menaces. These are people that are so far gone that there's basically no hope for them, or most of them anyway. With that group, the issue is the availability of beds in treatment facilities and how to get them in there without violating their constitutional rights. And actually, my personal view is fuck their rights, just round them up and get them off the street. But I'm not sure my view is the one they'd go with.