So much for the theory that the homeless problem is due to housing shortage

D-train

Re: So much for the theory that the homeless problem is due to housing shortage

Post by D-train » Fri Jul 07, 2023 11:18 am

Walla Walla Dawg II wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 11:25 pm
I really liked the part when they said they were on Food Stamps, then the journalist stated "So you can make it on your own".

If they are dependent on Food Stamps, how are they making it on their own?
Because food stamps are there God given right. Can you imagine being happy living like that? I mean they have all fucking day with nothing to do. At least take some time to clean the area up a bit. FFS just vermin.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Jul 07, 2023 11:19 am

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2023 5:10 am
I might have a little more sympathy for them if they would make the slightest effort to clean up after themselves. How hard is it to put your trash into plastic bags?
Hey they are BUSY and can't afford maids right now!
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Jul 07, 2023 11:21 am

douche wrote:
Thu Jul 06, 2023 6:32 pm
There is a segment of homeless who legitimately want out of that situation.

Then there are the homeless who just want 'free stuff'. Free housing, food, etc. Society ends up enabling these people to the point where they don't want to do anything. And all that really does is create an entire culture of entitled pigs. People who can't be bothered to clean themselves up or pick up after themselves. People who have no interest in giving up the drugs and alcohol. People who have given up on life.

An endless money pit that leads nowhere.

$24 million bucks to turn an old hotel into a homeless shelter... it will be interesting to see where this is at 2 years from now. Of the $24 million investment: $15 million was used to acquire the former Days Inn, $5 million to rehabilitate the property, and $4 million to run the place for the next two years.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/other/ci ... r-AA1d51os
In two months that hotel will look worse than the camp site in the the vid.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Jul 07, 2023 11:24 am

Let's say the median rent is 2K a month and they create affordable housing for $1k a month. How many people living on the street will be able to afford $1k a month? 1%?
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Fri Jul 07, 2023 12:02 pm

I'd say a sizable percentage, people that are considered homeless aren't all drug addicts and mentally ill. A sizable portion are in fact working poor, they have jobs but for any number of reasons have ended up living in their cars or whatever.
, a 2021 study from the University of Chicago estimates that 53% of people living in homeless shelters and 40% of unsheltered people were employed, either full or part-time, in the year that people were observed homeless between 2011 – 2018.

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Jul 07, 2023 12:20 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 12:02 pm
I'd say a sizable percentage, people that are considered homeless aren't all drug addicts and mentally ill. A sizable portion are in fact working poor, they have jobs but for any number of reasons have ended up living in their cars or whatever.
, a 2021 study from the University of Chicago estimates that 53% of people living in homeless shelters and 40% of unsheltered people were employed, either full or part-time, in the year that people were observed homeless between 2011 – 2018.
Seattle's minimum wage is $18.69/hour for most workers effective January 1, 2023
30%
A popular standard for budgeting rent is to follow the 30% rule, where you spend a maximum of 30% of your monthly income before taxes (your gross income) on your rent.
(18.69 x 40 x 52)/12 = $3,240 monthly gross income x .30 = $971
ah.JPG
ah.JPG (31.9 KiB) Viewed 199 times
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Jul 07, 2023 12:21 pm

And that is if you are single income and exactly at minimum wage.
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Fri Jul 07, 2023 2:15 pm

You want to believe there is affordable housing in Seattle, go for it. I lived my entire life in Seattle, I was a landlord there as are friends of mine, a piece of shit apartment get $2,000, then there is first and last, damage. I was there doing it. And that crap was getting bulldozed for premium stuff.

Walla Walla Dawg II

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Fri Jul 07, 2023 3:02 pm

D-train wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 11:18 am
Walla Walla Dawg II wrote:
Wed Jul 05, 2023 11:25 pm
I really liked the part when they said they were on Food Stamps, then the journalist stated "So you can make it on your own".

If they are dependent on Food Stamps, how are they making it on their own?
Because food stamps are there God given right. Can you imagine being happy living like that? I mean they have all fucking day with nothing to do. At least take some time to clean the area up a bit. FFS just vermin.
And not to mention the property they are squatting on.....they have no right to that either.

So, as long as they are provided property and food, they are dependent on nobody.
:? :?

Crazy shit! These people should be put down.

Walla Walla Dawg II

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Fri Jul 07, 2023 3:06 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2023 2:15 pm
You want to believe there is affordable housing in Seattle, go for it. I lived my entire life in Seattle, I was a landlord there as are friends of mine, a piece of shit apartment get $2,000, then there is first and last, damage. I was there doing it. And that crap was getting bulldozed for premium stuff.
They don't have to be in Seattle.
Go south to Spanaway.
Go south to Vancouver.
Go south to Roseburg.
Go east to Ellensburg.
Go east to Spokane.

The entire state of Washington has their minimum wage over $15 per hour.