Climate change

D-train

Re: Climate change

Post by D-train » Mon Sep 04, 2023 7:42 pm

On the flight home from NYC to Boston a few hours a go. Flight delay for the ages. Flight left the get precisely on time but it is sitting on the tarmac idle with engines running for a few minutes before the Captain comes on and says "Sorry folks we have too much fuel so we need to burn 600lbs of fuel BEFORE we take off, should only take 15-22 minutes though.."

Can not make it up.
dt

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Tue Sep 05, 2023 1:24 am

How can you have too much fuel?

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Tue Sep 05, 2023 3:11 am

Couple of interesting and informative videos...

History of climate change:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dpvd9FensT8

Regarding Greenhouse effect:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KhCKYvETYDc

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Tue Sep 05, 2023 5:37 am

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 1:24 am
How can you have too much fuel?
It's important to have the correct amount of fuel because of the weight. It's a fairly complicated process to calculate, different variables, weather and route, and whatever. How could you end up with too much? Variables change, weather, weight of the cargo? Seems like there should be a method of removing the excess. I believe there is, at least at some airports

douche

Post by douche » Tue Sep 05, 2023 1:52 pm

As Donn mentioned, it is possible to have too much fuel with regard to weight. But to sit on the tarmac and simply burn it off?

Makes sense, from a climate perspective :lol:

gil

Post by gil » Tue Sep 05, 2023 2:12 pm

D-train wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 7:42 pm
On the flight home from NYC to Boston a few hours a go. Flight delay for the ages. Flight left the get precisely on time but it is sitting on the tarmac idle with engines running for a few minutes before the Captain comes on and says "Sorry folks we have too much fuel so we need to burn 600lbs of fuel BEFORE we take off, should only take 15-22 minutes though.."

Can not make it up.
I was going to write, who care about 1,800 lbs (approx) of additional CO2, but wait. What kind of aircraft? It must have a fuel capacity to fly further than from NYC to Boston. Does that mean 600 lbs too much for your flight? Or 600 lbs more than the aircraft could carry?

Just love the smell of kerosene wafting into a plane cabin ...

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Sep 05, 2023 2:26 pm

It was a mid sized aircraft. Two seats on each side of the aisle so smaller but not a puddle jumper or prop plane. Only 37 minutes in the air. Less time than my 11 mile commute from Cambridge to Quincy on Wednesday afternoons...
dt

ddraig

Post by ddraig » Tue Sep 05, 2023 2:39 pm

D-train wrote:

Can not make it up.
And outlawing wood burning pizza ovens in NYC saves less CO2 in a year that John Kerry's private plane does in one year. It's a bandaid (if you believe CO2 is a problem) to a sucking chest wound. Again, rules for thee, but not for me!

gil

Post by gil » Tue Sep 05, 2023 3:53 pm

ddraig wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 2:39 pm
D-train wrote:

Can not make it up.
And outlawing wood burning pizza ovens in NYC saves less CO2 in a year that John Kerry's private plane does in one year. It's a bandaid (if you believe CO2 is a problem) to a sucking chest wound. Again, rules for thee, but not for me!
I'm not going to fact check this, but there is another problem with wood burning, which is fine particulate matter, especially PM2.5. Of course, I'm prepared for the movement to deny that PM2.5 causes health problems. I'm just not sure if it's going to start with the left wing or the right wing.

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:05 pm

gil wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2023 2:12 pm
D-train wrote:

Can not make it up.
I was going to write, who care about 1,800 lbs (approx) of additional CO2, but wait. What kind of aircraft? It must have a fuel capacity to fly further than from NYC to Boston. Does that mean 600 lbs too much for your flight? Or 600 lbs more than the aircraft could carry?

Just love the smell of kerosene wafting into a plane cabin ...
How do you come up with 1800 lbs of CO2 from burning 600 lbs of fuel? Sounds like some kind of woke mathematics there. :? ;)