Tim Scott's candidacy

gil

Re: Tim Scott's candidacy

Post by gil » Fri Aug 18, 2023 3:52 pm

Back to Tim Scott. I'll be interested to see how he (along with everyone else, obviously) fares in the debate next Wednesday.

My "insiders" tell me that Trump will surrender in Atlanta on Wednesday, then hold some sort of media event that takes attention away from the debate. (I.e., he's not showing up.)

DeSantis will be there, and probably seen as the front runner among the attendees. There is a "leak" of his debate strategy, which is to defend Trump and attack Ramaswamy. Including with insulting nicknames ("Fake Vivek"?) I guess that means DeSantis sees Ramaswamy as a serious threat. And he has been coached say that Chris Christie is auditioning for a show on MSNBC. A lot of reports are the the DeSantis campaign is cratering. Does he have any hope? Is he viable for 2028?

Ramaswamy, I hear, has in the past supported a very high rate for the inheritance tax. I know, I know, lots of Republicans (and many democrats) don't like this. Vivek's rationale is that to really have a meritocracy in America, people need to start without enormous inherited wealth.

I think Tim Scott is going to come off as pleasant, conservative, and ... if people are looking for someone other than Trump ... ? Maybe more to the point, after the debate, what will be the buzz? Who will be the winners and losers? I predict that Scott, Haley, and Burgum have favorable post-debate reviews. DeSantis and Ramaswamy will have negative post debate reviews.

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Aug 18, 2023 5:15 pm

I started out being a DeSantis guy but he has really fizzled. I might switch teams to Ramaswamy who has been surging. Such a smart guy.
dt

Walla Walla Dawg II

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Fri Aug 18, 2023 6:33 pm

D-train wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 2:38 pm
gil wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 1:43 pm
D-train wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 9:36 pm
It proves what I stated. Of course there are racist freaks of all races.

You probably realize I'm a pretty analytical person, and I don't think I know what "fundamentally racist country" means. Of course I've heard the term, but it seems like it gets thrown around a lot in conversation and intellectually-sloppy writing. Kind of like "hurricanes, wildfires, and floods made more likely by climate change." :roll:

That said, I'm not going to deny that when the US was founded (1776) there had been slaves here for over 100 years. Or that slavery was legal in parts of the US for the first 90 years after that. Or that in many places there was effective disenfranchisement of former slaves and descendent of slaves for the next 100 years. And discrimination in university admission, housing, public facilities, etc. So yeah that is our history, but is that "fundamentally racist"? If I knew the definition, I could opine. :geek:
It WAS fundamentally racist. Now all forms of racism other than affirmative action are illegal. Are there racists and examples of racism in the country like all countries, of course. Does systemic fundamental racism still exist today? Of course not. It is just made up nonsense by politicians to convince people to vote for them and by some groups to claim they are victims that should be entitled to benefits they don't have to earn and don't deserve.
And by all means, lets keep in mind being racist isn't illegal.
Neither is collusion.
Neither is homophobic.
Neither is islamophobic.
Neither is chauvinistic.

Non are qualities I would want in a friend, but not illegal according to the law.

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Aug 18, 2023 7:03 pm

Sure but it is illegal to discriminate based on those things in terms of housing and employment etc...
dt

Walla Walla Dawg II

Post by Walla Walla Dawg II » Fri Aug 18, 2023 7:25 pm

D-train wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 7:03 pm
Sure but it is illegal to discriminate based on those things in terms of housing and employment etc...
I agree. But in every day life, you don't have to like mexicans or whites, or blacks, etc...

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:46 pm

My "insiders" tell me that Trump will surrender in Atlanta on Wednesday, then hold some sort of media event that takes attention away from the debate. (I.e., he's not showing up.)
He can't participate, he didn't take the oath

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:52 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Fri Aug 18, 2023 8:46 pm
He can't participate, he didn't take the oath
I wonder if the RNC has the power to disqualify a candidate?
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Fri Aug 18, 2023 9:09 pm

There was a time when they did I believe, before primaries, the smoke filled room era. You hear that term but it no longer exists. But there could be rules in there somewhere. Of course if this is about trump they'd risk getting lynched

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Aug 19, 2023 1:21 pm

Pretty much a dead heat Trump vs. Biden. :shock: The next 15 months are going to be complete insanity!

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/po ... t-general/
dt

Pharmabro

Post by Pharmabro » Thu Aug 24, 2023 3:27 am

Donn Beach wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2023 5:32 am
Read where the secret service is working on contingency plans for guarding the Donald in prison. An inmate with secret service protection, that be pretty cool. You could walk around eyeballing the hard cases. Trump would play it for all it's worth
Maybe he can talk to Corn Pop!