The Debates

Cascade Kid

Re: The Debates

Post by Cascade Kid » Sun Aug 27, 2023 6:22 pm

D-train wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 9:57 pm

One minor note that you may have missed:
Entrepreneur Vivek Ramaswamy said Saturday that he would reject an offer to become someone else’s vice president if he does not win the GOP nomination in 2024.

“I’m not interested in a different position in the government,” Ramaswamy said on Fox News. “Frankly, I’d drive change through the private sector sooner than becoming number two or three in the federal government.”
Yeah, I knew nothing about Ramaswamy going into Wednesday's debate. As a matter of fact, I didn't even realize a GOP debate was about to occur until 2 hours before the debate. I've been a little detached from most things 'media' over the last couple months after discovering I had a benign brain tumor which I had to have removed.

Over the last 5 days I've been watching a fair amount of video on Vivek. I started by watching his very impressive NRA speech (which if you're pro 2A or not, I highly recommend watching). Then I watched several interview videos such as Club Random with Bill Maher, Jordan Peterson, John Stossel, The Breakfast Club, and various Fox News and CNN interviews.

Watching and listening to Ramaswamy speak has been a completely jaw dropping and refreshing experience for me. Being a right leaning Libertarian myself I never thought I'd see the day, let alone anytime soon, I'd see a Libertarian minded candidate capture and intrigue the minds of so many Americans. He is obviously highly intellegent (and has the Ivy League creditials to prove it) and well spoken. He has placed a lot of intellectual time into seeing and understanding the big picture, and then breaking down as to why the big picture looks the way that it does. ...And I believe, from what I'm watching, unlike other candidates, he isn't regurgitating political fodder from his campaign team or selling bluesky buzz to potential political allies and constituants. Watching this interviews and speaches he doesn't step around many issues or matters. I think this is because he has thoroughly architected his very own plan to move this country forward and unit Americans. Now he's out there sharing his way of thinking and opening several eyes along the way.

I don't see him being a VP. Yes, you're right, he's shared his reasons for this in many interviews, and it makes total sense. He has a big bold idea and plan, and he can only share his purpose from the very top of executive branch of government. Vivek stated that this is why he decided not to run for Senator and that he must run for president.

Over the last several months I was keeping an open mind about any candidate I would support. At that time I was leaning more toward DeSantis due to his experience and the decisive approach he has taken as FL govenor which helped him get reelected by a landslide. I thought that he aligned with my ideals until I heard Vivek speak this week.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun Aug 27, 2023 7:32 pm

Mel Bradford wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 6:14 pm
one more angle:

Ministers, teachers, coaches, doctors and others have learned to avoid situations that 'can be "read the wrong way'" for ethical and legal reasons.

Its not that Pence can't trust himself around other women. And its not as though his wife does not trust him. But in his case its what we call emotional fidelity in a marriage. We are content ( and wise) to leave certain doors unopened and avoid others completely.
Right. I actually thought of that after. Appearances matter for some one in public life...
dt

Mel Bradford

Post by Mel Bradford » Sun Aug 27, 2023 11:17 pm

But there is something about Mike Pence thats somewhat obvious. He's a compromiser. Carlson highlighted that in his interview.
How can Pence, an avoud Christian stand behind the failed Ukrainian war ? Easy. The narrative since Clinton cooked up the Russian conspiracy has been as if someone set up a "Halibut long line" in DC where the selfish, gullible, deceived and ignorant are "on the hook" for their career and the ponzi scheme to bilk the Treasury for Blackrock and nod in acceptance of the proxy war with Russia and for NATO supremacy.
Politically, he turned on the former President some time ago and the idea of a run at the Oval only confirms his illusion. Just sayin.

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:27 am

Cascade Kid wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 6:22 pm
D-train wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2023 9:57 pm

One minor note that you may have missed:
Entrepreneur Vivek Ramaswamy said Saturday that he would reject an offer to become someone else’s vice president if he does not win the GOP nomination in 2024.

“I’m not interested in a different position in the government,” Ramaswamy said on Fox News. “Frankly, I’d drive change through the private sector sooner than becoming number two or three in the federal government.”
Yeah, I knew nothing about Ramaswamy going into Wednesday's debate. As a matter of fact, I didn't even realize a GOP debate was about to occur until 2 hours before the debate. I've been a little detached from most things 'media' over the last couple months after discovering I had a benign brain tumor which I had to have removed.

Over the last 5 days I've been watching a fair amount of video on Vivek. I started by watching his very impressive NRA speech (which if you're pro 2A or not, I highly recommend watching). Then I watched several interview videos such as Club Random with Bill Maher, Jordan Peterson, John Stossel, The Breakfast Club, and various Fox News and CNN interviews.

Watching and listening to Ramaswamy speak has been a completely jaw dropping and refreshing experience for me. Being a right leaning Libertarian myself I never thought I'd see the day, let alone anytime soon, I'd see a Libertarian minded candidate capture and intrigue the minds of so many Americans. He is obviously highly intellegent (and has the Ivy League creditials to prove it) and well spoken. He has placed a lot of intellectual time into seeing and understanding the big picture, and then breaking down as to why the big picture looks the way that it does. ...And I believe, from what I'm watching, unlike other candidates, he isn't regurgitating political fodder from his campaign team or selling bluesky buzz to potential political allies and constituants. Watching this interviews and speaches he doesn't step around many issues or matters. I think this is because he has thoroughly architected his very own plan to move this country forward and unit Americans. Now he's out there sharing his way of thinking and opening several eyes along the way.

I don't see him being a VP. Yes, you're right, he's shared his reasons for this in many interviews, and it makes total sense. He has a big bold idea and plan, and he can only share his purpose from the very top of executive branch of government. Vivek stated that this is why he decided not to run for Senator and that he must run for president.

Over the last several months I was keeping an open mind about any candidate I would support. At that time I was leaning more toward DeSantis due to his experience and the decisive approach he has taken as FL govenor which helped him get reelected by a landslide. I thought that he aligned with my ideals until I heard Vivek speak this week.
Great stuff especially that your tumor was benign and in the past. I am also a right leaning libertarian and again appreciate the summary.. I almost watched Candace Owen interview him but got distracted.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:31 am

The next debate is in California at the Reagan library. Can't believe the left in Can haven't demolished the place.

Key difference is they have made eligibility rules more stringent. Need 3% in the polls instead of 1%.

That would knock out Hutchinson and Burgum.
dt

ddraig

Post by ddraig » Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:02 pm

Christie has more than 3%?

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:27 pm

ddraig wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2023 4:02 pm
Christie has more than 3%?
Barely.

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/po ... /national/
dt

Grandma Lynn

Post by Grandma Lynn » Mon Aug 28, 2023 7:53 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 3:06 am
Believe he was attempting to demonstrate what a strict christian he feels he is. That it's immoral to be with another woman without his wife being present. By
Still think he's putting women down!
It just sounds so over the hill to say
that. Can anyone connect it with
politics? Doesn't fool around?

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Tue Aug 29, 2023 3:10 pm

It's connected to politics because it's a character issue. Pense promotes his religious credentials, conservative christian. That's the group it's directed to

Grandma Lynn

Post by Grandma Lynn » Sat Sep 02, 2023 3:15 am

Donn Beach wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 3:10 pm
It's connected to politics because it's a character issue. Pense promotes his religious credentials, conservative christian. That's the group it's directed to
You're right! Still think it's a
crazy way to think!