Masks anyone?

ddraig

Masks anyone?

Post by ddraig » Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:01 pm

This article showed up today. It has a diagram showing the particulate size of a number of common substances, from smoke to covid. The basic argument from the CDC is that masks can't stop smoke particles. Look at the diagram. You be the judge.

https://100percentfedup.com/cdc-just-me ... for-covid/

douche

Re: Masks anyone?

Post by douche » Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:10 pm

In addition to masks being essentially useless, is that almost no one wears them correctly. I saw some clown the other day in his vehicle, alone, wearing a mask as a chin diaper which allowed him to smoke his cigarette. I also saw another guy walking across an empty parking lot, wearing a mask (although his mouth and nose were both covered). Which makes sense. I mean, it's a beautiful summer day, nobody around... who doesn't want to wear a mask under those circumstances? :roll:

In addition to humanity swirling the drain, people are sheeple. And it will only get worse with an increasing global population.

More people = more stupidity.

gil

Post by gil » Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:45 pm

ddraig wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:01 pm
This article showed up today. It has a diagram showing the particulate size of a number of common substances, from smoke to covid. The basic argument from the CDC is that masks can't stop smoke particles. Look at the diagram. You be the judge.

As I read it, the article is saying that CLOTH masks can't stop smoke particles, but N95 masks can stop smoke particles.

As to covid, yes the individual virus is smaller. But my question is: Are the individual viruses floating around by themselves? If so, no mask is going to catch them - or any other 0.1 µm particle. Or is the virus contained in (larger) respiratory droplets (aerosols)? And how large are these? A quick check says these are typically "typically 5-10 micrometers (µm)" https://www.news-medical.net/health/The ... hings.aspx That is large enough to be filtered by an N95 mask.

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Wed Aug 30, 2023 11:45 am

gil wrote:
Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:45 pm
That is large enough to be filtered by an N95 mask.
... but not a cloth or surgical mask.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Aug 30, 2023 12:15 pm

dt

ddraig

Post by ddraig » Wed Aug 30, 2023 5:30 pm

gil wrote:
ddraig wrote:

As I read it, the article is saying that CLOTH masks can't stop smoke particles, but N95 masks can stop smoke particles.

As to covid, yes the individual virus is smaller. But my question is: Are the individual viruses floating around by themselves? If so, no mask is going to catch them - or any other 0.1 µm particle. Or is the virus contained in (larger) respiratory droplets (aerosols)? And how large are these? A quick check says these are typically "typically 5-10 micrometers (µm)" https://www.news-medical.net/health/The ... hings.aspx That is large enough to be filtered by an N95 mask.
And that's all the N95 masks will capture. So they are no good against covid, either. Like throwing a Skittle at a chain link fence and expecting the fence to catch everything. Can you GUARANTEE that every covid virus is transported by another particle? Grasping at straws, Gil. You wear your mask.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Aug 30, 2023 7:11 pm

I wouldn't care if mask were 100% guaranteed to ensure you would never get Covid or Flu. I will never where one again as long as I live....

Just like I don't where a seatbelt when I watch TV in case there is an earthquake or wear a fire suit in the forest when I hike in case there is a forest fire....
dt

Cascade Kid

Post by Cascade Kid » Wed Aug 30, 2023 11:29 pm

I had been in and out of UW Medicine over the last couple of months and didn't have to wear a mask. Then a few weeks ago I walk up to the counter at the blood lab center and I was told that I needed to put on a mask due to a "close contact" with a COVID infected person in the blood lab center earlier. So guess what kind of masks they still provide?

gil

Post by gil » Thu Aug 31, 2023 4:06 pm

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 11:45 am
gil wrote:
That is large enough to be filtered by an N95 mask.
... but not a cloth or surgical mask.
Yes, as I understand it that is true.

gil

Post by gil » Thu Aug 31, 2023 4:09 pm

ddraig wrote:
Wed Aug 30, 2023 5:30 pm
gil wrote:
ddraig wrote:

And that's all the N95 masks will capture. So they are no good against covid, either. Like throwing a Skittle at a chain link fence and expecting the fence to catch everything. Can you GUARANTEE that every covid virus is transported by another particle? Grasping at straws, Gil. You wear your mask.
Your posts always make me think, ddraig. I'm going to look into this some more. I don't think I'm "grasping at straws" though. I consider myself logical and scientific (and curious) and I want to know.