The bizarre thing about Daylight Saving

mostonmike

The bizarre thing about Daylight Saving

Post by mostonmike » Tue Oct 31, 2023 12:13 am

The UK returned to its rightful time zone at the weekend, a little sooner than you change your clocks for the Fall. So now we are on Greenwich Mean Time - our rightful time.

But here is the most bizarre thing about this weird practice.

Imagine if next Spring every factory, office and workplace is called to a random meeting and told, “ I know you are all used to working 9am to 5pm - but from next week we want every single one of you to finish at 6pm instead. Oh yeah and it’s compulsory for 7 months, not an option”

Unanimously you would all tell the bosses to f*ck right off. Even if they tell you that it’s ok to start an hour later, again you’d tell them to still f*ck off. Yet everyone in the country follows that instruction, but does so by convincing themselves that it’s an hour later and changes their clocks.

I know there are some moves and campaigns out there to abolish this stupid Daylight Saving. But I notice it even more when our country is now only 4 hours ahead of the East Coast for a week until you decide to level it up. How daft is that? I get to see the World Series start an hour earlier so it isn’t all bad but in this century surely it’s an anachronism?

D-train

Re: The bizarre thing about Daylight Saving

Post by D-train » Tue Oct 31, 2023 12:47 am

In the Northern states if there was no daylight savings time it would get light out at 4am which would be weird. Better to have it light out when people are actually awake.
dt

mostonmike

Post by mostonmike » Tue Oct 31, 2023 12:59 am

Is that not a sign that the permanent time zone itself is wrong, not the arbitrary decision to move the clocks around for 7 months?

Geographically, Iceland would be an equivalent comparison being very northerly and they don’t do Daylight Saving having scrapped it decades ago. They do argue about whether they should be permanently aligned at +0:00 or -1:00 to Europe time though.

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:14 am

mostonmike wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 12:59 am
Is that not a sign that the permanent time zone itself is wrong, not the arbitrary decision to move the clocks around for 7 months?

Geographically, Iceland would be an equivalent comparison being very northerly and they don’t do Daylight Saving having scrapped it decades ago. They do argue about whether they should be permanently aligned at +0:00 or -1:00 to Europe time though.
But if we didn't go back to standard time the sun wouldn't come up until 9am during Christmas time....

I like it because I get to correct all the People that use EST during Daylight savings time and EDT during standard time. lol

Neither AZ nor Hawaii does Daylight savings time. AZ because he would 40 degrees celcius at bed time and Hawaii because it is so far South.

My Dad grew up in Alaska. Light out until Midnight in the summer and only light out from 9am to 3pm in the winter.
dt

mostonmike

Post by mostonmike » Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:28 am

D-train wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:14 am
mostonmike wrote:

But if we didn't go back to standard time the sun wouldn't come up until 9am during Christmas time....

I like it because I get to correct all the People that use EST during Daylight savings time and EDT during standard time. lol

Neither AZ nor Hawaii does Daylight savings time. AZ because he would 40 degrees celcius at bed time and Hawaii because it is so far South.

My Dad grew up in Alaska. Light out until Midnight in the summer and only light out from 9am to 3pm in the winter.
I love it when you correct the EST mistakes - even I am conscious of getting it wrong.

I went to visit the Royal Observatory in Greenwich a couple of years ago. You can stand on the Greenwich Meridian and effectively stand in the Western Hemisphere then step over to the Eastern Hemisphere which is kinda cute and fun for about 12 seconds.

I am sure they told us that time is decided by where the Sun is at the highest point in the sky from where you are - and that makes it noon. So you decide time by that, not anything else. I’ll pack my sundial on my next trip over there to work it out. :lol:

By the way I was proposing not to have the Daylight Saving time at all. I actually want it to stay at the Standard time all year round. So your Christmas time would still be the same.

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Oct 31, 2023 2:04 am

mostonmike wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:28 am
D-train wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 1:14 am
mostonmike wrote:

I love it when you correct the EST mistakes - even I am conscious of getting it wrong.

I went to visit the Royal Observatory in Greenwich a couple of years ago. You can stand on the Greenwich Meridian and effectively stand in the Western Hemisphere then step over to the Eastern Hemisphere which is kinda cute and fun for about 12 seconds.

I am sure they told us that time is decided by where the Sun is at the highest point in the sky from where you are - and that makes it noon. So you decide time by that, not anything else. I’ll pack my sundial on my next trip over there to work it out. :lol:

By the way I was proposing not to have the Daylight Saving time at all. I actually want it to stay at the Standard time all year round. So your Christmas time would still be the same.
Yeah I guess most people don't get up when the sun comes up in the summer any way so doesn't matter much in the morning....
dt

ddraig

Post by ddraig » Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:09 pm

Hey! Com'n man! I enjoy living in a cave here in Washington State. It's dark until 7:30 and the sun goes down at 4. Not certain you really could change that whether it's Daylight Time or Standard Time. It still feels like I live in a cave.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Nov 01, 2023 11:44 am

ddraig wrote:
Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:09 pm
Hey! Com'n man! I enjoy living in a cave here in Washington State. It's dark until 7:30 and the sun goes down at 4. Not certain you really could change that whether it's Daylight Time or Standard Time. It still feels like I live in a cave.
Yep, not possible to change the number of hours of daylight just mess with when you get them.

btw most people think Maine is by far the most northern point of the Continental US but it is actually south of Seattle. Boston is WAY south of Seattle. Interesting thing about Boston is because it on the for eastern edge of the time zone it gets light out earlier and dark earlier than most of the Eastern Seaboard. Think of the position of the sun relative to say Cleveland which is also in the Eastern time zone. Same time but the sun is positioned VERY differently in each place.
me.jpg
dt

DanielVogelbach

Post by DanielVogelbach » Sun Nov 05, 2023 10:21 pm

DST is the dumbest thing ever. You could just adjust your schedule without changing the clock. If a business can have different hours on the weekend, then it can have different hours during the winter. We really don't have to make everyone fuck with their clock settings. I think half of mine updated automatically, and the other half are an hour ahead. Just another aspect of living in bizarro world.

bpj

Post by bpj » Mon Nov 06, 2023 12:36 am

The one argument I've heard that makes sense for Daylight Savings Time is that kids in the last few weeks, in my area at least, are walking to their bus stops when it's still pretty dark out.

They could probably leave it how it is now and not have to change it, but then we wouldn't have light extra late in the summer.

🤷‍♂️