Official call to remove Biden from office

Donn Beach

Re: Official call to remove Biden from office

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:03 pm

I haven't followed this "horse trading" or politics/negotiation in detail, so can anyone explain?
And then you go ahead and seem to explain it quite nicely lol... thanks, your explanation sounds pretty good. Yeah, Trump seems to have a difficult time with things getting done until he returns to office

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:07 pm

Yeah well fucking up the Border for over 3 years leading to the biggest immigration crisis in US history and then trying for an 11th hour Hail Mary to CYA and trying to take credit for saving the day like an arsonist expecting to be hailed as a hero for putting out the 5 alarm blaze that he alone started seems shady so I don't blame Trump for that one.
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Thu Feb 22, 2024 2:54 am

I wouldn't really blame trump. I might blame the people that listen to him. I think it's disappointing, and pretty much how things are run these days. What you brought up is irrelevant, it's a bipartisan bill. It be what congress should be doing, compromising and getting things done. I wouldn't see Biden getting more credit than the republicans that worked to get it passed. Biden gets some benefit having something accomplished during his administration. That's the sad part. Blocking things has become more important than finding ways to work things through to success

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:09 am

Cato institute which is libertarian
According to new data published last month, the Biden Department of Homeland Security (DHS) has removed a higher percentage of arrested border crossers in its first two years than the Trump DHS did over its last two years. Moreover, migrants were more likely to be released after a border arrest under President Trump than under President Biden.

In absolute terms, the Biden DHS is removing 3.5 times as many people per month as the Trump DHS did. These figures are important for understanding how each administration has carried out border enforcement.

During the Trump administration, DHS made 1.4 million arrests—what it calls “encounters”—in fiscal years 2019 and 2020 (24 months). Of those people arrested, only 47 percent were removed as of December 31, 2021, which includes people arrested by Trump and removed by Biden, and 52 percent were released into the United States.

Under Biden, DHS made over 5 million arrests in its first 26.3 months, and it removed nearly 2.6 million—51 percent—while releasing only 49 percent. In other words, the Trump DHS removed a minority of those arrested while the Biden DHS removed a majority. Biden managed to increase the removal share while also increasing the total removals by a factor of 3.5.
https://www.cato.org/blog/new-data-show ... rump-biden

gil

Post by gil » Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:18 am

Donn Beach wrote:
Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:09 am
Cato institute which is libertarian
According to new data published last month, the Biden Department of Homeland Security (DHS) has removed a higher percentage of arrested border crossers in its first two years than the Trump DHS did over its last two years. Moreover, migrants were more likely to be released after a border arrest under President Trump than under President Biden.

In absolute terms, the Biden DHS is removing 3.5 times as many people per month as the Trump DHS did. These figures are important for understanding how each administration has carried out border enforcement.

During the Trump administration, DHS made 1.4 million arrests—what it calls “encounters”—in fiscal years 2019 and 2020 (24 months). Of those people arrested, only 47 percent were removed as of December 31, 2021, which includes people arrested by Trump and removed by Biden, and 52 percent were released into the United States.

Under Biden, DHS made over 5 million arrests in its first 26.3 months, and it removed nearly 2.6 million—51 percent—while releasing only 49 percent. In other words, the Trump DHS removed a minority of those arrested while the Biden DHS removed a majority. Biden managed to increase the removal share while also increasing the total removals by a factor of 3.5.
https://www.cato.org/blog/new-data-show ... rump-biden
Interesting, thanks for posting this. This is another issue on which Biden is getting slammed by a lot of people on the Left.

Meanwhile Biden gets slammed from the Right because somehow things where great under Trump but became terrible under Biden.

gil

Post by gil » Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:22 am

D-train wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2024 7:07 pm
Yeah well fucking up the Border for over 3 years leading to the biggest immigration crisis in US history and then trying for an 11th hour Hail Mary to CYA and trying to take credit for saving the day like an arsonist expecting to be hailed as a hero for putting out the 5 alarm blaze that he alone started seems shady so I don't blame Trump for that one.
I see your point, But let's say the Biden policies have led to a crisis for the country (and by the way, I think that immigration and the border are a VERY serious crisis for our country). So who would torpedo a solution to the crisis? Let the crisis continue for the next 11 months for what purpose? It sounds to me that Trump is putting his election prospects ahead of solving a crisis for our country.

But I guess that's politics, right?

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:24 am

It's a bipartisan bill.
In late November, Republicans said they would require immigration policy changes as a condition for passing additional military assistance to Ukraine. Over the next ten weeks, a group of Senate Republicans and Democrats, with participation from Mayorkas and White House officials, worked on what became the bipartisan compromise announced February 4. The secrecy of the talks had many stakeholders worried their core interests and values were at risk. In hindsight, it appears that the secrecy was what made compromises on several key points possible.

However, in mid-January, with the release of the bipartisan Senate compromise imminent and following a White House meeting with congressional leadership on the overall package, the table was overturned when former president and likely Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump said social media “I do not think we should do a Border Deal, at all, unless we get EVERYTHING needed to shut down the INVASION of Millions & Millions of people, many from parts unknown, into our once great, but soon to be great again, Country!”

This provoked a reaction from the former president’s supporters, leading Speaker of the House Mike Johnson to call the deal “dead on arrival” even before details had been released. Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell, after initially supporting the bill when its text was rolled out on February 4, said on February 5 that Republicans should vote against a procedural vote scheduled for February 7. Biden addressed the nation on February 6, calling for public support for the bipartisan Senate compromise. A key procedural vote in the Senate to move the bill forward, which needed 60 votes, failed 49-50. On February 11, the Senate voted 67-27 to move forward with the Ukraine, Israel, Indo-Pacific, and humanitarian packages—everything except border security and immigration

ddraig

Post by ddraig » Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:01 pm

Newsom is realistically the only choice they have right now. But he's a white male. And he has so much baggage that he'd be honestly hard to elect. All it takes is a look at his record and the number of people leaving the state because of the taxes.

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:59 pm

ddraig wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:01 pm
Newsom is realistically the only choice they have right now. But he's a white male. And he has so much baggage that he'd be honestly hard to elect. All it takes is a look at his record and the number of people leaving the state because of the taxes.
Screenshot 2024-02-26 4.58.58 PM.png
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Feb 26, 2024 10:01 pm

That is Nevada but Biden won Nevada in 2020. Newsome has Zero shot. Thank God!
dt