2019-2020 Husky Hoops Preview

IStillLoveTheMs

2019-2020 Husky Hoops Preview

Post by IStillLoveTheMs » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:20 am

Well boys. I haven't been this excited about a team since the Isaiah Thomas days. Figured I'd do a write up and you might possibly get on the same level of excitement as me.

Never before have we had as much size in program history. Hop said he want's the Husky program to be known as the best defensive team in the country so I'll mainly focus on that. It's truly going to be a pick your poison against this defense because there is so much size and length everywhere on the court that our D is going to be a problem for opposing teams... I mean look at this:

Back end of the zone: 7'1 BPJ, 6'11 Nate Roberts, 6'11 Sam Timmins, 6'10 Jaden McDaniels, 6'9 Hamier Wright, 6'9 Isaiah Stewart. Ho-lee-shit. Can you say block party? While our zone has been quite effective thus far with coach Hop, if there's been a problem its been lack of size on the back end and I'm sure he'd prefer a stationary center at the rim versus a guy you're forced to play up in the paint to account for his lack of size... *cough* Noah Dickerson *cough*... If BPJ and Nate Roberts are ready to contribute (all indications are they are) it's going to be a ton of fun to watch this team play defense. I mean... at ANY given time you're going to have 2 players on the court 6'9 or taller patrolling the paint... most often a guy who is 6'11-7'1 coupled with a guy who is hyper athletic at 6'9-6'10... :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: In the one game where BPJ saw more than 5 minutes on the court last season, he had 4 blocks... 4 blocks in 7 minutes... fucking lord, I can't even imagine how many he's gonna avg when he gets a feel out there. Not to mention when he's on the court with another block monster that opposing teams have to account for. All 6 of PF's/Centers are rim protectors and it's exactly what Hop has been building toward. In Italy the team averaged just under 16 steals a gamer over 3 games mostly running man-to-man D :shock: That's nutty.

Now how about the front court of this zone D? 6'6 Naz Carter,6'6 Jamal Bay and 6'5 Raequan Battle are going to ruin passing lanes. I seriously doubt we'll see much of a drop off losing Thybulle when we have this 3 headed monster crashing the lanes and closing out. All are so damn long and athletic and we saw flashes of Naz and Jamal's capabilities on D last year. This group is going to be so menacing in multiple areas.

How about our PG's? One could perceive this as the weak point of roster if Quade Green isn't eligible to start the season. But from the defense perspective, you can expect both Elijah Hardy and Marcus Tsohonis to get ample time on the exterior. Positive is, Hardy runs 6'2 and Tsohonis 6'3... Hop has really been excited about Hardy's D... says he's an in your face, won't let you breath defender. Tsohonis plays like a 35-year-old vet according to Hop, super smart, which can only be a positive as a true frosh on D. In Italy, Hardy avg'd 2.8 steals a game... Tsohonis? 3.3... holy hell. Outside of Quade Green, the shortest player who will get any playing time is the 6'2 Hardy. 9 players in the 12-man rotation run 6'5 or taller. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Individual player profiles (guys who you probably don't know a lot about):

Brian Penn Johnson: BPJ is going to be an instant fan favorite playing the primary rim protector in this zone. He's 7'1... his wing span? 7 foot 9 inches... what in the hell lol? If he went to the NBA right now he'd have a top-3 wingspan in the league. He's going to challenge the Husky block record set by Upshaw at some point in his career, if not this year. Remember, he had 4 blocks in 7 minutes versus Eastern last season. That should give you a little flash of what you'll have to look forward to with him in this zone. Offensively he's raw... he won't get a lot of play in the post and will be mainly asked to rebound, get tip backs, receive alley oops and dunk... and I'm fine with that.

Nate Roberts: Roberts is kind of unsung and flying under the radar. But from what I've seen on tape, he's 6'11 with serious feel for the post. In Italy he avg'd 9 points and 9.5 rebounds per game in just 17 minutes. Coach Hop is big on this kid and post the Isaiah Stewart era, he's going to be a serious force in the paint for the Dawgs his sophomore-senior years. I see him contributing extremely well in a bench roll this year for the Dawgs... he's the perfect late half big man to bring in when guys are tired.

Elijah Hardy: Guys... I love this kid. I'm telling you... when all is said and done I think Hardy is going to go down as one of the Husky greats. He only got garbage minutes as a frosh and hurt his foot. But man, he's got future star written all over him. Great ball handler, can really shoot, elite passer, swaggy as hell. When this kid becomes THE guy handling the ball for the Dawgs you're going to cry wondering how David Crisp ever got the chance. He avg'd 5.5 assists a game in Italy... our leader last year? Jaylen Nowell at 3.1 per game. Here's a recent vid of him playing in the Crawford League: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zktFqhdQFMc

Marcus Tsohonis: Have you ever felt over the year that the Dawgs were missing a guy who just knows how to play basketball? As stupid as that sounds... it's almost felt like the Dawgs had a bunch of athletes who were limited in their basketball IQ and just weren't real crafty at the sport. Well... that's not Tsohonis. He plays like the old man at the gym who is just Mr. Fundamentals. He's not going to wow you with extreme athleticism or flash, but rather... he'll be the calming force on this club with the ball in his hand and he's the old man who just gets it done and delivers results. He's got a weird stroke, but he knows it and it works. He's got a weird style of play, but it's his style and it works. He simply knows his game and he's not going to come in and fuck up like a lot of guys who take years to figure it out.

Raequan Battle: Remember CJ Wilcox? Welp, imagine that shooting ability with Terrance Ross's dunking ability. He's lethal from the perimeter, just deadly. He'll probably be relegated as our primary 3-baller as a freshman and evolve into a total force as he grows in the program. I'm just gonna leave this here (one of my favorite tapes I've ever watched): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLGqpEcCo_Q

Quade Green: It's not very often you get a former 5-star recruit to transfer to your program. I really haven't put in the effort to follow him like I did the other guys. I dono why. Knock on him at Kentucky was that he apparently just didn't do any one thing super well and it kind of made him seem like he wasn't making much of an impact on the court. He's got a great handle, is a solid shooter, clearly competitive, quick... kind of an all all-around very good player that lacks the size and athleticism you'd expect in a 5-star. I think he has the makeup to excel here at UW... sometimes playing at the Dukes and Kentucky's of the world isn't the best thing for ya as expectations are through the roof and if you don't meet them it makes you seem like a failure when ur not. He reminds me of a better Abdul Gaddy... about all I can think of. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5r71zCry-Xo

The 1-and-done's:

Isaiah Stewart: Just watch... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHHbJXvTxWM&t=58s
He's a full grown fucking adult. I don't need to say anything more.

Jaden McDaniels: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8H1FcFW3_M
Same thing. I don't need to say much. 6'11 with a guard set. There's a reason he's called "mini KD".

GO DAWGS.

D-train

Re: 2019-2020 Husky Hoops Preview

Post by D-train » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:25 am

I was already there but thanks!
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:38 pm

Damn this is an awesome preview as well. Literally getting more jacked with everything I read. Using man to man D as a change up. Love it.
SAN FRANCISCO — Nahziah Carter has no doubt the Huskies can repeat as Pac-12 champions and believes Washington reloaded with enough high-end talent to surpass last season’s team that advanced to the second round of the NCAA tournament.

“If we all buy in and if we’re unselfish, we definitely have a chance at being better,” the UW junior guard said. “Our length is ridiculous, which gives us an opportunity to grab more rebounds. We struggled with that last year.”

RELATED UW Huskies tip off Pac-12 challenge series with nonconference game in 2020 against Oklahoma
Mike Hopkins playfully likened the Huskies to a basketball version of the Avengers due in large part to a cadre of freakishly athletic, long-limbed big men.

“We have a lot of superheroes,” he said. “We’d be a good Marvel comic.”

It remains to be seen what kind of team Hopkins has on Montlake, but early projections tab the Huskies as a Pac-12 title favorite once again.

For the second straight year, Washington was picked third in the Pac-12 preseason media poll while garnering six first-place votes from a 27-member panel.

ADVERTISING

Preseason favorite Oregon and runner-up Colorado each received nine first-place votes, but the Ducks edged the Buffaloes 291 to 288 in points.

Arizona, USC and Arizona State rounded out the top half of the poll. The bottom half of the poll (in order): Oregon State, UCLA Utah, Stanford, Washington State and California.

“It’s nice (getting picked third), but honestly, I don’t really care where they pick us because it’s just a prediction,” said Carter, who was one of four Huskies to receive Pac-12 preseason all-conference honors. “It’s a guess, which is as good as yours or mine.

“I’m pretty sure nobody picked us first last year and we did.”

Even though Washington lost four starters from a veteran-laden 27-9 team, the Huskies remain in title contention thanks to the addition of freshman forwards Isaiah Stewart and Jaden McDaniels as well as Kentucky transfer guard Quade Green, who becomes eligible Dec. 17.

Stewart and McDaniels were selected preseason All-Pac-12 first team, which included 10 players, while Carter and Green garnered honorable mention.

ADVERTISING

“Lots of new pieces for sure and any time you have so many new guys that you have to rely on, then it’s like you’re starting from Day 1,” Hopkins said. “Thankfully, we had a chance to get most of our guys some work together in Italy so that helps.

“But we’re still learning about each other.”

Washington experimented with a man-to-man defense during four lopsided victories in Italian exhibitions in August; however, the Huskies won’t stray too far from their trademark 2-3 zone defense that allowed just 64.8 points and was ranked 18th nationally in KenPom adjusted defense last season.

“We feel like the man-to-man, how we’re trying to play it, could actually be a great off-speed pitch for us,” Hopkins said. “I think we know what our brand is and how we play, but man-to-man is something that I think we can do and do it really effective this year.”

Your dose of local sports news. Delivered Monday through Friday.

The Huskies have tinkered with lineups during their seven practices and will have 23 more to settle on starters before their Oct. 31 exhibition against Western Washington at Alaska Airlines Arena.

UW opens the regular season Nov. 8 against Baylor in Anchorage, Alaska.

The first unit will likely include Carter, Stewart, McDaniels and sophomore guard Jamal Bey while sophomore Elijah Hardy and freshman Marcus Tsohonis will direct the offense until Green is able to play.

ADVERTISING

“On paper we have a chance to be better, but there’s so much work to be done,” Hopkins said. “Chemistry is huge. And learning the defense is huge.

“We have these young guys who are really talented. Quade has been a proven guy at a different school. He averaged 9 (points) and 5 (assists) in a major conference, so we know we can expect that. But you still got to coach them and they still got to play for something greater than yourself. The guys that left really bought into that and did it and had a lot of success.”

Hopkins is toying with the idea of expanding the rotation from eight players to 10.

The Huskies are trying to find minutes for a loaded front line that includes Stewart, McDaniels, Hameir Wright, Sam Timmins, Nate Roberts and Bryan Penn-Johnson.

“We’ve got a lot of length, we’ve got a lot of athleticism and we’ve got a lot of depth,” Hopkins said. “Now it’s putting it together. Some guys might have different roles. There’s a lot of growth there, and so we’re going to have some growing pains, I’m sure.”
dt

57reasons

Post by 57reasons » Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:07 am

Sweet, thanks for the excellent previews. Any word on the expected outcome of Green's appeal to let him play prior to December? always seemed like a longshot, even more now the closer we get. but good to hear of Hardy and Tsohonis' progression. should be fun.

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:43 pm

57reasons wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 3:07 am
Sweet, thanks for the excellent previews. Any word on the expected outcome of Green's appeal to let him play prior to December? always seemed like a longshot, even more now the closer we get. but good to hear of Hardy and Tsohonis' progression. should be fun.
Only challenging teams that we play prior to his being eligible are Baylor, Tennessee and Gonzaga so not a huge deal.
dt

rockycola

Post by rockycola » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:59 am

Nice preview, StillLovin'. I am hungry for some Husky hoops, too.
Could be a great season with this tall, talented group.
Rocky Colavito is a Hall of Famer in my book!

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:25 pm

More great stuff here by Percy. I don't the disparity between my feelings about Husky hoops and football has ever been greater. Kind of the opposite of the Don James/Lynn Nance years.
By Percy Allen
Seattle Times staff reporter
Man, these guys are long.

That’s the feeling of more than a few observers who watched the Washington men’s basketball team practice Tuesday afternoon at Alaska Airlines Arena.

During one drill, freshman forward Isaiah Stewart and senior center Sam Timmins trapped a guard in the corner to force an errant pass over UW’s 2-3 zone that was intercepted by standout freshman forward Jaden McDaniels.

“Good luck going inside against those guys,” freshman guard RaeQuan Battle said while noting Stewart and McDaniels are 6-foot-9 rim protectors with 7-foot-4 wingspans. “Some of the guards try going inside against those guys, but I haven’t been able to find much success yet.”

Once Stewart and McDaniels took a rest, UW’s second unit stepped on the court led by 7-foot shot-blocker Bryan Penn-Johnson, rugged 6-10 big man Nate Roberts and 6-9 junior Hameir Wright, the team’s lone returning starter.

“The zone is different because you can hold hands and you can go from sideline to sideline,” coach Mike Hopkins said proudly. “That’s a lot of coverage.”

Verizon, AT&T and Sprint wish they had coverage like the Huskies.

ADVERTISING

“It’s still early and we haven’t played anybody, but what I’m noticing is we’re really big down low, and each of us brings something to the court,” McDaniels said. “We’re all a little different.

“Isaiah is just relentless. So is Nate and Sam. (Hameir) can stretch you out and shoot the three. Even (7-4 walk-on center Riley Sorn) is a problem. … And I just fill in where I can.”

Sean Quinton

@Quinton_Sean
Isaiah Stewart preparing for inevitable double teams. (Related: he’s very, very strong)

Embedded video
5:39 PM - Oct 22, 2019
Twitter Ads info and privacy
See Sean Quinton's other Tweets
The defending Pac-12 regular-season champions are loaded with eight players 6-9 or taller, and their front-line depth appears to be the strength of a young and inexperienced team that’s seeking a new identity – as well as leaders – after losing four starters and five of its top six scorers.

Hopkins is certain the Huskies have enough talent to contend for another league title and NCAA tournament berth, but it’s still uncertain if the newcomers will make a quick transition to college basketball.

“The length is there, they’re learning it,” he said when asked about UW’s tall front line. “They’re getting more accustomed to it. We’re trying to put them in those situations, but not until you get into that situation are you going to see how they respond and react.

“But that length is a big difference.”

During Hopkins’ first two years, Washington had a shortage of big men and would sometimes need to resort to four-guard lineups due to foul trouble.

ADVERTISING

That shouldn’t be a problem this season. At issue is finding a cohesive mix and establishing a rotation.

Last season, eight players averaged at least 11 minutes. However, Hopkins is contemplating expanding the rotation to nine or 10.

“It’s a battle every day,” Penn-Johnson said. “If you don’t treat every practice like a game, then you’re going to get exposed and you’re not going to get the minutes that you want to get if you’re not ready to fight for that playing time.

Your dose of local sports news. Delivered Monday through Friday.

“I feel like that’s what’s setting us apart from other teams right now because we have so many options and so many players that we can go to that everyone is bringing 110 percent because they want to be that guy.”

Hopkins singled out Roberts, who redshirted last season, as one of the Huskies who improved the most during the offseason.

“A guy who brings incredible energy, probably one of the top two or three rebounders on the team, if not the best,” Hopkins said. “Offensive rebounding, he’s all over the place. He’s gotten bigger. He’s 6-10, he looks like Dwight Howard after he gets out of the weight room. Very excited about him.”

ADVERTISING

Roberts appears to be pushing Timmins for a spot in the lineup.

“It’s nothing to go from purple (starters) to gold (backups) just like that in practice,” Roberts said while snapping his fingers. “Hop will do that at the drop of the dime, No. 1 because he can. And No. 2, he’s trying to make each of us better.

“There are no days off with this group. Every day is a day you have to bring your A-game.”

Most Read Sports Stories
Russell Wilson makes a surprise appearance on Seahawks’ injury report. But don’t panic.
Quandre Diggs ‘blindsided’ by trade to Seahawks but thrilled to connect with best friend Tyler Lockett
Sticker shock aside, NHL Seattle is banking on fans paying big to watch its team in person | Inside the NHL
Former Seahawks defensive lineman Michael Bennett on Patriots discipline: ‘I got suspended. Lost money. What am I supposed to take away from that?’
Seahawks trade for Detroit safety Quandre Diggs to bolster depleted secondary
Washington’s forwards and centers created a group chat in which they stay connected during the day with texts and inspirational messages.

“Just making sure we’re bringing the energy because it falls on our shoulders at the end of the day,” Roberts said. “It’s on us, and we’ve got to make sure that we’re the one bringing the energy and intensity.”

UW men’s basketball coach Mike Hopkins talks to media ahead of the 2019-20 basketball season.
GREEN STILL WAITING

The Huskies are still hoping Quade Green will receive a waiver from the NCAA that would allow him to play immediately. The sophomore point guard who transferred from Kentucky in January is currently scheduled to make his UW debut Dec. 17 against Seattle University.

ADVERTISING
Ad
Her pediatric cancer took one dream, but launched another
Advertising Content from Amazon

“We’re still waiting for Quade,” Hopkins said. “We’ve put in the waiver. He’s a heck of a player. Leader, player, shooter, playmaker. Makes others around him better. So obviously if he gets the waiver it’ll be a huge benefit for the program.”

As a freshman in 2017-18, Green started 13 of 34 games when he averaged 9.3 points, 1.8 rebounds, 2.7 assists, 1.6 turnovers and 25.6 minutes.

In nine games as a backup last season at Kentucky, he averaged 8.0 points, 1.3 rebounds, 2.3 assists, 2.3 turnovers, 1.0 steals and 17.8 minutes.

NOTE:

— Washington travels to TCU for a closed scrimmage Sunday. The Huskies host Western Washington in an exhibition on Oct. 31, before their Nov. 8 season opener against Baylor in Anchorage, Alaska.

— Senior forward Sam Timmins switched jersey numbers from 33 to 14. Stewart is wearing 33.
dt

rockycola

Post by rockycola » Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:14 pm

This team could really be something special. Nothing in the way except overcoming a little "froshness".
For once, John Calipari didn't steal one of UW's recruits and I hope Quade Green is able to haunt Kentucky's dreams.

GO HUSKIES!!!

#1 - FOWARD 6'10" 245 LBS - NATE ROBERTS - REDSHIRT FRESHMAN
#4 - FORWARD 6'9" 200 LBS - JADEN MCDANIELS - FRESHMAN
#5 - GUARD 6'6" 210 LBS - JAMAL BEY - SOPHOMORE
#10 - GUARD 6'2" 170 LBS - ELIJAH HARDY - SOPHOMORE
#11 - GUARD 6'6" 205 LBS - NAHZIAH CARTER - JUNIOR
#12 - GUARD 6'0" 155 LBS - JASON CRANDALL - REDSHIRT JUNIOR
#13 - FORWARD 6'9" 220 LBS - HAMEIR WRIGHT - JUNIOR
#14 - FORWARD 6'11" 265 LBS - SAM TIMMINS - SENIOR
#15 - GUARD 6'3" 185 LBS - MARCUS TSOHONIS - FRESHMAN
#20 - GUARD 6'0" 175 LBS - QUIN BARNARD - REDSHIRT JUNIOR
#21 - FORWARD 6'5" 185 LBS - RAEQUAN BATTLE - FRESHMAN
#23 - CENTER 7'0" 245 LBS - BRYAN PENN-JOHNSON - REDSHIRT FRESHMAN
#24 - GUARD 6'5" 175 LBS - JONAH GERON - REDSHIRT FRESHMAN
#30 - GUARD 6'2" 185 LBS - TRAVIS RICE - REDSHIRT JUNIOR ..... son of Coach Dave Rice, former Head Coach of UNLV Runnin' Rebels
#32 - GUARD 6'3" 185 LBS - NOAH NEUBAUER - REDSHIRT FRESHMAN
#33 - FORWARD 6'9" 250 LBS - ISAIAH STEWART - FRESHMAN
#34 - FORWARD 6'6" 230 LBS - REAGAN LUNDEEN - SOPHOMORE
#35 - FORWARD 6'9" 220 LBS - J'RAAN BROOKS - SOPHOMORE
#52 - CENTER 7'4" 270 LBS - RILEY SORN - REDSHIRT FRESHMAN
#55 - GUARD 6'0" 170 LBS - QUADE GREEN - SOPHOMORE

https://gohuskies.com/roster.aspx?roste ... ath=mbball
Rocky Colavito is a Hall of Famer in my book!

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:55 pm

rockycola wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:14 pm
This team could really be something special. Nothing in the way except overcoming a little "froshness".
For once, John Calipari didn't steal one of UW's recruits and I hope Quade Green is able to haunt Kentucky's dreams.

GO HUSKIES!!!

#1 - FOWARD 6'10" 245 LBS - NATE ROBERTS - REDSHIRT FRESHMAN
#4 - FORWARD 6'9" 200 LBS - JADEN MCDANIELS - FRESHMAN
#5 - GUARD 6'6" 210 LBS - JAMAL BEY - SOPHOMORE
#10 - GUARD 6'2" 170 LBS - ELIJAH HARDY - SOPHOMORE
#11 - GUARD 6'6" 205 LBS - NAHZIAH CARTER - JUNIOR
#12 - GUARD 6'0" 155 LBS - JASON CRANDALL - REDSHIRT JUNIOR
#13 - FORWARD 6'9" 220 LBS - HAMEIR WRIGHT - JUNIOR
#14 - FORWARD 6'11" 265 LBS - SAM TIMMINS - SENIOR
#15 - GUARD 6'3" 185 LBS - MARCUS TSOHONIS - FRESHMAN
#20 - GUARD 6'0" 175 LBS - QUIN BARNARD - REDSHIRT JUNIOR
#21 - FORWARD 6'5" 185 LBS - RAEQUAN BATTLE - FRESHMAN
#23 - CENTER 7'0" 245 LBS - BRYAN PENN-JOHNSON - REDSHIRT FRESHMAN
#24 - GUARD 6'5" 175 LBS - JONAH GERON - REDSHIRT FRESHMAN
#30 - GUARD 6'2" 185 LBS - TRAVIS RICE - REDSHIRT JUNIOR ..... son of Coach Dave Rice, former Head Coach of UNLV Runnin' Rebels
#32 - GUARD 6'3" 185 LBS - NOAH NEUBAUER - REDSHIRT FRESHMAN
#33 - FORWARD 6'9" 250 LBS - ISAIAH STEWART - FRESHMAN
#34 - FORWARD 6'6" 230 LBS - REAGAN LUNDEEN - SOPHOMORE
#35 - FORWARD 6'9" 220 LBS - J'RAAN BROOKS - SOPHOMORE
#52 - CENTER 7'4" 270 LBS - RILEY SORN - REDSHIRT FRESHMAN
#55 - GUARD 6'0" 170 LBS - QUADE GREEN - SOPHOMORE

https://gohuskies.com/roster.aspx?roste ... ath=mbball
^^^^^
Fab 5 2.0!!!
dt

D-train