The more things change....the more they remain the same

Bil522

The more things change....the more they remain the same

Post by Bil522 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:53 am

Lindsay Adler, of the Athletic, wrote a great piece about the Yanks losing. Here is an excerpt that is a blueprint for the M's going forward:
“The more times you face guys, obviously, as relievers, you get uber-exposed,” Britton said. “It’s the one thing I always say. That’s why we’re relievers, not starters. You overexpose guys, it’s inevitable that eventually, they’re going to get got a little bit.”

That’s not to say bullpening can’t work. The inventors of the strategy, the Rays, pushed the Astros to the brink of elimination in the Division Series. The Yankees followed suit, taking them to six games. But when the World Series begins Tuesday, it will pit the Astros and the Nationals, owners of the two best starting rotations. Starting pitching buys leeway. Fewer things have to go precisely as planned to win. For all their riches, it’s a luxury the Yankees did not have.
Looking forward the M's need to get more and more starting pitching....hence my wanting JD to at least make a run at Cole. I understand we technically aren't ready yet, but getting Cole will make it come quicker for us. Building an entire staff using starters, middle relievers and closers is what wins games. I don't think the Rays model is sustainable in the high pressure enviroment of the playoffs.

Dr Naysay

Re: The more things change....the more they remain the same

Post by Dr Naysay » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:22 am

That kid holding the sign was young Gerrit Cole at a WS game, a week ago he announced he grew up a Yankees and Angels fan so I really just can't see him coming to Seattle but never say never eh.
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (550.33 KiB) Viewed 1951 times

bpj

Post by bpj » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:34 am

Our only hope would be the same as any other free agent, to pay him the most money.

Theres no reason Cole wouldnt fit perfectly over the next 5+ seasons. He adds stability exactly where you want it, at the front of your rotation.

Who cares about the #5 veteran starters that can go 200 innings of 4.5 ERA ball. Your kids should be producing that, even if it takes two of them, who cares. Add at the top. Either the best bats, or the best pitching. Otherwise, fill from within, imo.

bpj

Post by bpj » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:47 am

Dipoto should go get Gerritt Cole and Matthew Boyd and let these young position players battle it out.

Adding two at the top of the rotation instead of the bottom is the difference between winning and losing next season, imo.

Adding those guys shouldn't stunt the rebuild in any way. Better to pick the right talent than have to choose from what's available when the time is finally right.

We have about 8 outfielders to make 3 over the next two seasons, for example. We have guys like Justin Dunn who are talented, but probably won't be missed if Matthew Boyd was the return.

Dr Naysay

Post by Dr Naysay » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:55 am

Cole was actually drafted in 2008 by the Yankees when he was 17 years old with their 1st round pick and decided to go to college, he didn't even listen to their offer(which turns out was $4 million) because he was convinced going to UCLA would provide him more maturity and and would make him a better player. He doesn't strike me as someone so motivated by money that he would pick the highest bidder but you never know.
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (27.91 KiB) Viewed 1946 times

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:12 pm

Dr Naysay wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:22 am
That kid holding the sign was young Gerrit Cole at a WS game, a week ago he announced he grew up a Yankees and Angels fan so I really just can't see him coming to Seattle but never say never eh.
His wife is clearly a huge M's fan and that's all that matters.

https://www.google.com/search?q=gerrit+ ... _JCtrg2mZM
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:13 pm

Dr Naysay wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:55 am
Cole was actually drafted in 2008 by the Yankees when he was 17 years old with their 1st round pick and decided to go to college, he didn't even listen to their offer(which turns out was $4 million) because he was convinced going to UCLA would provide him more maturity and and would make him a better player. He doesn't strike me as someone so motivated by money that he would pick the highest bidder but you never know.
And that's where he met his wife............
dt

bpj

Post by bpj » Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:15 pm

His agent is Boras isn't it? Of course he's going for money.

Double Mocha Man

Post by Double Mocha Man » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:07 pm

Department store logic. The sale on Cole is now. If we wait he will no longer be in stock... not be in inventory...
DMM

Happy as hell

Post by Happy as hell » Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:14 pm

Automotive store logic. You don’t purchase a Bugatti engine for a 1992 Honda Accord.