Down to Trump or Haley

Donn Beach

Re: Down to Trump or Haley

Post by Donn Beach » Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:14 pm

D-train wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:10 pm
$2.6B net worth. $83M likely won't impact his quality of life...
Seemed to have pissed him off

gil

Post by gil » Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:25 pm

D-train wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:52 pm
These are the only numbers that matter:

Capture.JPG
Yep. If either True or Biden doesn't get people from the middle, it doesn't matter if the percentage they score of voters within their own party is 70, 75, or 99.5.

I just saw a poll that Trump leads Haley 60-30 in South Carolina. If Haley can't win in NH or SC, I don't think she wins anywhere. Worse for her, in many states the Republicans award delegates on a winner-take-all basis. Therefore, Haley might not get many more delegates than she already has earned in Iowa and NH. But I predict she will still end up in second place. :)

Interesting historical footnote: In 1992, incumbent President George H.W. Bush won the NH primary by 18 points over Pat Buchanan, and the New York Times called it a "jarring political message" to Bush. In 2024, Trump who has been leading in polls for almost a year, won NH over Haley by 11 points, and it's considered game over.

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:32 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:14 pm
D-train wrote:
I'm sure he appreciates your concern and I am sure he will get over it. lol
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:35 pm

gil wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:25 pm
D-train wrote:

Capture.JPG
Yep. If either True or Biden doesn't get people from the middle, it doesn't matter if the percentage they score of voters within their own party is 70, 75, or 99.5.

I just saw a poll that Trump leads Haley 60-30 in South Carolina. If Haley can't win in NH or SC, I don't think she wins anywhere. Worse for her, in many states the Republicans award delegates on a winner-take-all basis. Therefore, Haley might not get many more delegates than she already has earned in Iowa and NH. But I predict she will still end up in second place. :)

Interesting historical footnote: In 1992, incumbent President George H.W. Bush won the NH primary by 18 points over Pat Buchanan, and the New York Times called it a "jarring political message" to Bush. In 2024, Trump who has been leading in polls for almost a year, won NH over Haley by 11 points, and it's considered game over.
I think Trump might have beaten Biden before Oct 7th but damn that is looking like the kiss of Death. Literally saw a tweet that said Trump was terrible but at least he never backed Genocide. :shock: Biden has lost millions of hard core libs because of Gaza and a lot of independents because he is a senile clown hell bent on destroying the country. He is toast barring a miracle.
dt

gil

Post by gil » Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:44 pm

D-train wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:35 pm
gil wrote:
D-train wrote:

Capture.JPG

I think Trump might have beaten Biden before Oct 7th but damn that is looking like the kiss of Death. Literally saw a tweet that said Trump was terrible but at least he never backed Genocide. :shock: Biden has lost millions of hard core libs because of Gaza and a lot of independents because he is a senile clown hell bent on destroying the country. He is toast barring a miracle.
Not sure I agree with your conclusion, but Biden has really lost a lot of support on the left and among younger voters. But is Trump going to get much support from people who are turning on Biden because he supports the aggressor-, colonizer-, occupier-state Israel? I've always thought that Trump was a huge Israel supporter. Not sure I see the daylight between Biden's positions on Israel and Trump's.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:48 pm

D-train wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:32 pm
Donn Beach wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:14 pm
D-train wrote:
I'm sure he appreciates your concern and I am sure he will get over it. lol
a lawyer for E Jean Carroll urged a jury to award at least $24m in damages for the “storm of hate” caused by Trump.

Carroll, 80, is seeking at least $10m
Don't understand that, was it 10 or 24? He left the courtroom over the $24 mil. Having the jury come up with $83 mil is pretty funny. But yeah, not in the league as Giuliani. What's that guy gonna do, live in his car?

It's not so much changing Trump's lifestyle as it's about changing his behavior. It might give him pause over berating opponents in public
Last edited by Donn Beach on Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:48 pm

gil wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:44 pm
D-train wrote:
gil wrote:

Not sure I agree with your conclusion, but Biden has really lost a lot of support on the left and among younger voters. But is Trump going to get much support from people who are turning on Biden because he supports the aggressor-, colonizer-, occupier-state Israel? I've always thought that Trump was a huge Israel supporter. Not sure I see the daylight between Biden's positions on Israel and Trump's.
The difference is Trump had zero support from them so he loses nothing. They either won't vote or will vote 3rd party unless they are full of shit and just protesting for something to occupy their worthless time which I guess is possible.
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:53 pm

You can protest a candidates position on an issue but still vote for them. Democrats are known for that kind of stuff. Brought that up before. Democrats argue a lot.

gil

Post by gil » Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:52 am

Donn Beach wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:53 pm
You can protest a candidates position on an issue but still vote for them. Democrats are known for that kind of stuff. Brought that up before. Democrats argue a lot.
Very true, but the people who write about politics often talk about voter "enthusiasm" affecting turnout. Let's say the large Muslim-American population in Michigan is pissed off at Biden for his support of Israel. Not very many of them cross party lines to vote for Trump, but a few hundred thousand don't vote for Biden -- they "prefer" Biden but aren't going to stand in line for 3 hours to vote for him. That could be enough to swing Michigan to Trump. Same argument for a few hundred thousand college students in Georgia or Wisconsin.

gil

Post by gil » Sat Jan 27, 2024 12:53 am

D-train wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:48 pm
gil wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2024 11:44 pm
D-train wrote:

The difference is Trump had zero support from them so he loses nothing. They either won't vote or will vote 3rd party unless they are full of shit and just protesting for something to occupy their worthless time which I guess is possible.
Yeah, nothing else going on today, let's get high and protest against genocide. :?