2024 Combine thread

D-train

2024 Combine thread

Post by D-train » Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:20 pm

No coaches will be going for the Hawks. Seems odd not even MM will be going but whatever.

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/sea ... g-combine/
dt

ddraig

Re: 2024 Combine thread

Post by ddraig » Mon Feb 26, 2024 8:48 pm

The combine is like going to the Oscars to see all the pretty people on the runway. You can get a better idea by watching game films.

D-train

Post by D-train » Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:24 pm

Why is it called the NFL Scouting Combine? While there is no explicit reason given for the “NFL Scouting Combine” name, the new moniker came after the National, BLESTO and Quadra camps combined for the 1985 event.Mar 2, 2023
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:03 am

Here's a combine guide, kinda interesting

https://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story ... -nfl-draft
Guess you don't have to be on attendance
Rush To Judgement: Seahawks Targeting Defensive Tackles at NFL Scouting Combine

https://www.si.com/nfl/seahawks/news/se ... free-agent

maoling

Post by maoling » Tue Feb 27, 2024 6:17 am

D-train wrote:
Mon Feb 26, 2024 2:20 pm
No coaches will be going for the Hawks. Seems odd not even MM will be going but whatever.

https://www.seattletimes.com/sports/sea ... g-combine/
We are charting a new path. We don't need no stinkin' combine.

Also, today I contacted my bookie and think my bet is going down.

+3000 for the NFC Championship win

+8000 for the Super Bowl win

I bet fifty bucks on each of those outcomes next season. I know I will get screwed, but it is better than betting on the M's.
Last edited by maoling on Fri Mar 01, 2024 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:39 pm

By Jon Wilner
Bay Area News Group
One of the finest football seasons in Pac-12 history has given way to an impressive winter, with 52 players scheduled to participate in the NFL scouting combine this week.

Only the SEC and Big Ten are sending more players to Indianapolis, where the on-field drills begin Thursday and run through the weekend.

(Last year, the Pac-12 had just 31 players invited.)

Washington leads the conference with 13 participants, second only to Michigan’s total of 18.

The NFL Network will televise the on-field workouts, although one of the most intriguing sessions will unfold during the medical exams.

RELATED Why Seahawks coach Mike Macdonald, assistants won’t attend NFL combine
Here are five storylines to watch:

1. The first-round lineup
There is more to the Pac-12’s representation than quantity. Six players project as likely first-round picks — the list starts with USC quarterback Caleb Williams, the consensus No. 1 overall selection — while several others are viewed as possible Day 1 prospects.

What’s more, six different teams could be represented in the first round, with Oregon State and Arizona joining the usual suspects (USC and Oregon).

OSU tackle Taliese Fuaga, a former three-star recruit, is considered a top-15 pick at this stage of the pre-draft process, while Arizona tackle Jordan Morgan is a potential late first-rounder.

This time next week, the Pac-12 could be tracking for its best draft in eons — just as it exits the college football stage.

Up Next - Keion Brooks Jr. leads Washington past Oregon State in Corvallis
close

2. Penix, poked and prodded
Based on his performance the past two seasons, Washington quarterback Michael Penix Jr. should be a first-round selection. Based on the season-ending injuries Penix sustained during his career at Indiana, he projects as a second- or third-day pick.

Scouts love his arm but hate his knee.

This week, doctors from all 32 teams will evaluate Penix, examine his scans and charts, then take their best guess on the stability of his surgically repaired ligaments.

He cannot change the past. But could something in the medical evaluations alter his future and transform Penix into a first-round selection in April, where he could join Williams and possibly Oregon quarterback Bo Nix?

3. How will they run?
Rarely has the Pac-12 produced a pair of receivers as talented and productive as Washington’s Rome Odunze and Oregon’s Troy Franklin.

Odunze is viewed as a lock for the first round, but how high?

Franklin is often projected as a second-round selection, but could he sneak into Day 1?

NFL Network analyst Bucky Brooks recently wrote of Franklin: “Considering how explosive plays routinely lead to points, Franklin’s big-play potential could send his stock soaring by the end of the pre-draft process.”

For each wideout, the 40-yard dash will be critical. Can they break the 4.4-second barrier?

Receivers are on the field Saturday, along with quarterbacks and running backs.

4. Holding the edge
The western third of the country is generally lacking in elite interior defensive linemen — the Big Ten and SEC produce an outsized share of prospects at that coveted position — but the conference is stocked with quality edge rushers.

UCLA’s Laiatu Latu received most of the attention during the 2023 season, was named Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Year and stands as a likely first-round pick.

Several other edge prospects could sneak into the first round or the top of the second, including Washington’s Bralen Trice, Oregon’s Brandon Dorlus, Utah’s Jonah Elliss and Washington State’s Brennan Jackson.

The position group works out Thursday.

5. Old friends, new places
Devoted Pac-12 fans will see and hear a slew of familiar names during NFL Network’s combine coverage in the form of players who began their careers in the conference but transferred out.

The list starts with LSU quarterback Jayden Daniels, who spent three seasons at Arizona State before leaving for the SEC — and winning the 2023 Heisman Trophy.

Fans might also remember ex-USC quarterback Kedon Slovis (Brigham Young) and former Stanford offensive tackle Walter Rouse (Oklahoma).

Then there’s former Arizona State receiver Johnny Wilson (Florida State) and, err, former Arizona State receiver Ricky Pearsall (Florida). Oh, and don’t forget about former Arizona State tackle LaDarius Henderson (Michigan).

And yes, one player on ASU’s 2023 roster was invited: defensive lineman Nesta Jade Silvera.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Feb 27, 2024 1:41 pm

So in 2033 in Penix's 10th season in the NFL as a starting QB are they still going to be talking about his knee injury suffered in October of 2021?? I have never seen anything like it.
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Tue Feb 27, 2024 2:48 pm

Pretty wild
"There were times when I'd wake up the day of the game and I'd wait until my roommate leaves, and I'd just lie on the floor, and I'd just cry to God, just praying that he'd protect me that day because I knew where my head was at at the time, and it wasn't truly fresh," Penix said, adding that there were "a lot of tears."
I guess there could be structural issues that even playing a couple of injury free seasons doesn't nesssarily allay
. Penix tore the ACL in his right knee twice during his college career, which raises some red flags about whether he’s going to stay healthy, but Penix told ESPN that he had a checkup with Dr. Neal S. ElAttrache, the renowned orthopedic surgeon, and that ElAttrache is telling NFL teams that the knee is not a concern.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:26 pm

I heard a lot of buzz recently about how the Huskies have been amazing at keeping him clean, but the Michigan game scared a lot of people. He was pressured and he was bad. QBs don't stay clean in the NFL like the Huskies have done for Penix the past two years. That seems like a bigger fear to me than his injuries, but the injuries compound that.

I remember hearing the doubts about Reggie Williams back in the day. When he went up against NFL CBs while in college? He got shut down. They weren't wrong. Penix was flat out bad against Michigan. Rattled. Michigan was good, but that wasn't 11 NFL starters. I'd be worried about him if we draft him. I didn't even recognize him down the stretch this year. Chalked it up to an injury after the way he played against Texas....but the NC game knocked him down several pegs, IMO. How do you handle playing against the best, since you are going to be facing the best in the NFL.

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:28 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Tue Feb 27, 2024 5:26 pm
I heard a lot of buzz recently about how the Huskies have been amazing at keeping him clean, but the Michigan game scared a lot of people. He was pressured and he was bad. QBs don't stay clean in the NFL like the Huskies have done for Penix the past two years. That seems like a bigger fear to me than his injuries, but the injuries compound that.

I remember hearing the doubts about Reggie Williams back in the day. When he went up against NFL CBs while in college? He got shut down. They weren't wrong. Penix was flat out bad against Michigan. Rattled. Michigan was good, but that wasn't 11 NFL starters. I'd be worried about him if we draft him. I didn't even recognize him down the stretch this year. Chalked it up to an injury after the way he played against Texas....but the NC game knocked him down several pegs, IMO. How do you handle playing against the best, since you are going to be facing the best in the NFL.
Yeah exactly my thinking. That is a legit and serious concern but people are still obsessed with the age and injury nonsense.
dt