Penix
No votes
Trade down
55%

Total votes: 20

Donn Beach

Re: Our first round pick poll

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:05 pm

They also have a history of undersized multiple position linemen. Doesn't mean they still do, the zone blocking they utilized tended towards undersized more athletic players. There's a new sheriff in town so who knows

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:10 pm

Seattle or Bust wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:52 am
D-train wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:49 pm
Brock wants the big Dawg

https://sports.mynorthwest.com/1773401/ ... y-fautanu/
I like Fautanu. But I don't understand the idea of picking a fkn guard in the 1st round.

Whether people like it or not, they drafted 2x tackles. Unless the idea is to slide one of Cross or Lucas inside and stick Fautanu at a tackle position, I don't want it. Drafting a guard round 1 is INSANE, especially when you don't have a 2nd round pick.
Too funny, I didn't see this before I made my post, but...EXACTLY! Avoid OG in the first-round, much like you avoid a fucking MLB. There are just too many that will be available later and they don't provide first round value. There are Guards that may break that mold, but I don't think a converted Tackle is the one.

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:48 pm

dt

trharder

Post by trharder » Thu Mar 07, 2024 11:13 pm

D-train wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:48 pm
haha. fuck yeah...

57reasons

Post by 57reasons » Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:09 am

Donn Beach wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2024 5:54 am
Seen as a two way sort of player, little undersized for a tackle, but an athletic guard. Not seeing the Duane Brown comparison. 16 is probably a little high unless he really fits, with the hawks he kinda does with question with tackle and , the need at guard

Versatility has value
Flashy tools play well at offensive line for some prospects, but being versatile and reliable is just as — if not more — important. With his 2024 NFL Draft scouting report, Washington’s Troy Fautanu qualifies as one of the most versatile blockers in the class
Funny thing is, the knock on Fautanu was he had short arms, thus he'd be destined for Guard at the next level despite fluorishing at both G and T in college. I even told that to my scout buddy when describing him as my favorite UW O-Lineman of all time. Then at the combine he measures as having longer arms than 6-8 tackle Joe Alt, who is the top at his position per most experts. So maybe that success on the outside will translate in the NFL. What is clear is that no offensive lineman in this class has anywhere close to as good of feet as he does, as is also greatly needed at LT. And yeah, someone with his versatility that can play well at any OL position but Center, that's value - first round or not!

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:26 pm

57reasons wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:09 am

Funny thing is, the knock on Fautanu was he had short arms, thus he'd be destined for Guard at the next level despite fluorishing at both G and T in college. I even told that to my scout buddy when describing him as my favorite UW O-Lineman of all time. Then at the combine he measures as having longer arms than 6-8 tackle Joe Alt, who is the top at his position per most experts. So maybe that success on the outside will translate in the NFL. What is clear is that no offensive lineman in this class has anywhere close to as good of feet as he does, as is also greatly needed at LT. And yeah, someone with his versatility that can play well at any OL position but Center, that's value - first round or not!
Favorite of All Time!? Wow, that is hard for me. Lincoln Kennedy was the man, and we had SO MANY that were amazing. Olsen and Kruetz on that 97 team come to mind. High praise to be the favorite of all time here, IMO. I just don't want a Guard in the first round.

I am also not big on McCarthy. But Brock watches a Hell of a lot more tape than I do! Maybe I am wrong? His take isn't a popular one on X right now. Someone showed the clip of the throw. Think Penix against USC. Sorry, I am not sold.

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:42 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:26 pm
57reasons wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 4:09 am

Favorite of All Time!? Wow, that is hard for me. Lincoln Kennedy was the man, and we had SO MANY that were amazing. Olsen and Kruetz on that 97 team come to mind. High praise to be the favorite of all time here, IMO. I just don't want a Guard in the first round.

I am also not big on McCarthy. But Brock watches a Hell of a lot more tape than I do! Maybe I am wrong? His take isn't a popular one on X right now. Someone showed the clip of the throw. Think Penix against USC. Sorry, I am not sold.
I certainly don't know enough about him to even comment but I don't buy the black mark that he played for a great team that ran the ball a lot. Same as Penix and his age and injury black marks. People just like to Parrot stuff they hear to sound smart and it just turns into a thing if enough people repeat it enough times.
dt

trharder

Post by trharder » Sat Mar 09, 2024 2:48 am

Michael K. wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:26 pm
Part of what Brock is thinking is that JJ is also a threat on the ground. That's a big deal for me as well.
Brock did the Nebraska game this year and he met with McCarthy and was very impressed with his demeanor.
Brock feels JJ is a humble, selfless, inspiring-leader type who makes the players around him better.
Brock points to the Michigan situation as a program on the ropes and then ascends to the top. A pressure situation
that JJ handled with aplomb.

At the 5:20 minute mark is the play Brock says Geno and Penix can't make.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hsPd5r5y0Q&t=334s

maoling

Post by maoling » Sat Mar 09, 2024 3:42 am

With lots of recent hefty cap space releases, restructurings and not having the draft largesse of picks we've had the past couple years, new coach, new system, I think we are targeting immediate both sides of the line help in free agency this year. They've plucked prized coaches from all over the league to lead the new regime -- it just feels like trading down for pieces, but the bulk of our help is going to come from key FA signings for savvy vets in the trenches.

Seattle or Bust

Post by Seattle or Bust » Sat Mar 09, 2024 5:34 am

If the Seahawks draft JJ McCarthy I'm a 49ers fan.

Test me fuckers.