Penny

trharder

Penny

Post by trharder » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:27 am

What are people's crystal balls saying now?

What we've seen the last two games is what I expected this year. That still doesn't explain "where the hell did he disappear to" there for awhile.
He seems like such a genuine humble kid when they interview him. After the Eagles he mentioned the weight again. I wonder if he had been in the dog house for not being the weight they had prescribed for him. Just when I started to wonder if the haters were right, he rises from the ashes.

ThePro

Re: Penny

Post by ThePro » Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:53 am

trharder wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:27 am
What are people's crystal balls saying now?

What we've seen the last two games is what I expected this year. That still doesn't explain "where the hell did he disappear to" there for awhile.
He seems like such a genuine humble kid when they interview him. After the Eagles he mentioned the weight again. I wonder if he had been in the dog house for not being the weight they had prescribed for him. Just when I started to wonder if the haters were right, he rises from the ashes.
No one can make an impact with 6 or less carries. They are starting to give him between 12- 15 and a couple of pass targets. That's perfect for now...

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:17 am

he had Carson ahead of him, and it took awhile for him to adjust to the NFL level of competition, it happens, its a huge jump, I don't think its being in anybodies doghouse, it means practicing and working hard, which he has done and its paying off

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:01 pm

Most RBs don't have any trouble making the transition. Penny took a while to learn the lingo and lacked self discipline. I don't recall anyone doubting his athletic ability.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:32 pm

Most RBs don't have any trouble making the transition.
what are you basing that on exactly?...

I posted that thing awhile ago on how Pete considered himself a knucklehead when he first became an NFL coach, he wasn't prepared, he needed to adjust. I think that is one of the things that makes him a great coach, he understands the process, you can coach it. Not that Penny was a knucklehead but I doubt Pete thinks in terms of doghouses, I think its more about helping a guy try to grasp what it takes to be an NFL player, coaching them up. Penny may not have been ready, but that doesn't mean you just write him off, you get him coached up. I mean i know how a lot of you guys think, coaching is about how hard assed you can be. Which is okay, but I will go with Pete who has the Hawks at 10-2

from last season, i know you guys think PC bullshits you, but i think he means it, its a process
Comments from Pete Carroll around midseason suggested Penny wasn't applying himself the way he needed to. That was the impression Carroll left when he said Seattle's coaches had been pushing Penny and "challenging him to get right." Carroll seemed more pleased with how Penny, who turned 23 on Sunday, handled the adjustment to the NFL as the season went on.

"He did really well," Carroll said at his final news conference of the season. "He's been growing throughout the process. It was a jump for him, like it is for the guys. It's a jump to be in the limelight, particularly when you're a No. 1 pick and everyone puts the pressure and expectations on you. There's a lot going on. You've just got to go through it. He's a young kid.

"[Rookie defensive end] Rasheem Green is 21. I don't know how old Rashaad is right now, but he's a young kid too. There's just so much ahead of these guys. Every day was a learning experience for him and to see what it's like. They're not playing behind old guys that have been here for six or eight years or 10 years that can tell them the ropes and all that. They're learning with new guys. Chris just had his first full season playing. These guys are all learning together and they're growing well together."
You know who that reminds me of, John Wooden, you look at PC's story and he claims his career turned around after reading Wooden's book. "I turned my whole approach around based on a moment that I had reading his book,". The one story I remember of John Wooden was his being on the road, and having an issue with a ref, the calls going against him. He didn't scream and complain, get ejected. He went over and put his arm around the guy and told him, be strong. That is coaching, challenge them to excel, not rip them for failing

ThePro

Post by ThePro » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:26 pm

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:01 pm
Most RBs don't have any trouble making the transition. Penny took a while to learn the lingo and lacked self discipline. I don't recall anyone doubting his athletic ability.
Most RB are given the starting position and don't have to compete with a top 5 back for playing time.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:34 pm

last season Penny wasn't competing with Carson for carries, he was competing with Davis, he was 3rd behind Davis

trharder

Post by trharder » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:48 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:34 pm
last season Penny wasn't competing with Carson for carries, he was competing with Davis, he was 3rd behind Davis
Davis was a good RB. I wish we still had him.
But last year, Penny's rookie year, PC would inject Penny into a set of downs even in big circumstances. Sometimes Penny would falter and other times he would do some good things. This year PC went a period of time where he basically abandoned Penny. It was different that what we saw in 2018, I don't care what the rest of you say. I won't be gaslighted. MK says Penny got more opportunity as a result of Carson fumbling. That could be, but if true, then Penny would still have only a couple carries per game if Carson never fumbled, which would still be different than 2018.

Anyway, I'm a Penny fan and hope he keeps progressing.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:53 pm

I think you are correct about his rookie season, again, from the article I got that quote from...
If you're looking for a snapshot of Penny's rookie season with the Seahawks, the last game would do.

In the third quarter of their wild-card loss to the Dallas Cowboys, Penny took a handoff, made a subtle cut in the backfield to get outside and then turned on the jets as he split a pair of defenders on his way to a 28-yard run.

His other three carries gained a net of one yard and he played only five of Seattle's 55 offensive snaps, the fewest of the four tailbacks who suited up for the Seahawks.

It was that kind of year for Penny, an occasional flash but a lot more inaction. And while his final regular-season numbers weren't all that bad on their own -- 419 yards, two touchdowns and a 4.9 yards-per-carry average that was best among their running backs -- Penny's debut wasn't what anyone had in mind when Seahawks chose him 27th overall.
sometimes Penny would shine in his rookie season, sometimes he would falter, my point is PC wasn't abandoning him, he has been coaching him. Its not just about Carson fumbling, its also about Penny growing.
Carroll noted that the lack of touches in recent games has left Penny “frustrated, but he has practiced marvelously. The last three weeks have been his best three weeks of practice. We really wanted him to play today and get him in there and see what would happen because he's looked so good in practice. So I thought (running backs coach) Chad Morton did a really nice job of rotating him and looking for his opportunity with the intent of getting a shot out there. He came through beautifully. It was really sweet game for him.”

https://www.espn.com/blog/seattle-seaha ... kie-season

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:54 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 12:32 pm
Most RBs don't have any trouble making the transition.
what are you basing that on exactly?...
Isn't it common knowledge that RB is the easiest position to play from a mental aspect? I've heard numerous former players and analysts say this.
Donn Beach wrote: posted that thing awhile ago on how Pete considered himself a knucklehead when he first became an NFL coach, he wasn't prepared, he needed to adjust. I think that is one of the things that makes him a great coach, he understands the process, you can coach it. Not that Penny was a knucklehead but I doubt Pete thinks in terms of doghouses, I think its more about helping a guy try to grasp what it takes to be an NFL player, coaching them up. Penny may not have been ready, but that doesn't mean you just write him off, you get him coached up. I mean i know how a lot of you guys think, coaching is about how hard assed you can be. Which is okay, but I will go with Pete who has the Hawks at 10-2
I have never suggested they should write him off and i don't have a problem with Carroll's coaching style. The point i was clearly making is that Penny was slow to pick up the offense and allowed himself get overweight, and those made his transition to the NFL a lengthier process than is typically the case for a RB.