Pete stepping down, Jimmy is in.

Captain 97

Re: Pete stepping down, Jimmy is in.

Post by Captain 97 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:51 pm

Gotta love this quote from Lake
We're going to have a different style on offense. We're going to have a different style on our special teams. We're going to be aggressive. We're going to attack, and this place is ready to roll.
He still has to pull it off but it is encouraging that he is not just going to sit back and play the same style we have been. I think this means that Hamden is gone.

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:21 pm

So what does "more aggressive" on offense mean? Less bubble screens?

Captain 97

Post by Captain 97 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:23 pm

I take it to mean that we are going to throw the ball down field more but that's just my interpretation.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:59 pm

Captain 97 wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:23 pm
I take it to mean that we are going to throw the ball down field more but that's just my interpretation.
Mine too. I would assume playing less scared would be a big start. I think the entire season changes if we don't panic at Stanford. The Cal game could have gone so many different ways, but it wasn't a conservative offense that cost us. More like the fact that in a close game were we lead most of the way, we threw it too much...and the receivers couldn't catch it. That game maybe changes is Puka is used as more than a blocker on run plays, but who knows. One more catch by one of our Senior receivers and who knows? BUT, the Stanford game was dreadful...and the staff themselves have admitted they panicked. Change that, don't go Wildcat against Oregon and then run the ball more with the lead against Utah and who knows!? I guarantee there was an issue with motivation...and maybe the problem on offense was the conservative and scared style that Bush plays? The kids just didn't seem fired up...EVER. At least not until Eason scored from three yards out on a freaking sneak play!

That is one thing I will be looking for, a fire. Pete wasn't that kind of guy, and the players loved him, but there was something off on offense this year. On defense it often times looked like we just didn't have the right talent. I hammer on the deep safeties against run teams a lot, but haven't we always done that? What we haven't done was have mediocre at best LBs.

That being said, while talent on defense seemed to be the problem, a lack of identity or any kind of emotion seemed more the issue with the offense. They just didn't believe, IMO. That line, with that QB, talented RBs and two NFL TEs should not have looked like this.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:16 pm

Interesting that he said he wasn't feeling it during Rose Bowl week last season. Perhaps he should have stepped down then. This season might have turned out differently.
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:17 am

D-train wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:16 pm
Interesting that he said he wasn't feeling it during Rose Bowl week last season. Perhaps he should have stepped down then. This season might have turned out differently.
As I said, I heard there was a strange feel this year, and heard from fans close to games there was no emotion. Makes more sense now. Sad that it comes to this...Pete isn’t the first to walk away when it seemed awful early.

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:40 am

Michael K. wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:17 am
D-train wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:16 pm
As I said, I heard there was a strange feel this year, and heard from fans close to games there was no emotion. Makes more sense now. Sad that it comes to this...Pete isn’t the first to walk away when it seemed awful early.
Yep, ironically it seems it was actually a year late.
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:38 am

Maybe...hard to say.

I know Pete loves Hamden, but we left two or three wins on the table with a neutered offense.

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:18 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:38 am
Maybe...hard to say.

I know Pete loves Hamden, but we left two or three wins on the table with a neutered offense.
So are we assuming the Bush is definitely gone?
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:07 pm

D-train wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:18 pm
Michael K. wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:38 am
Maybe...hard to say.

So are we assuming the Bush is definitely gone?
Listening to Brock this morning, it sounds like it is well known that Pete has a lot to do with the offense, much like Pete Carroll does with the defense. So, MAYBE not. But, my guess is Lake is going to want his own guy, and that he knows the fans have grown tired of Bush...and rookie OC's in general. Brock implied that Jimmy has several Pro contacts as well, and thinks that this search will be very interesting.