$22/23 Mill
46%
Over $23 Mill
8%

Total votes: 13

auroraave

Clowney: At What Price?

Post by auroraave » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:36 pm

Going to be very interesting to see where his his market value lands. Everyone wants him back, there's no debating that, but what is a reasonable market value for him?

He was definitely the best lineman on the roster and arguably the best athlete on the defense.
He was also oft-injured.
When o the field, he is a beast.
How many games can he be counted on to play in?
Seattle has a strong cap space situation.
Paying "whatever it takes" is why the Lambs have a dark future.
We've all seen his enthusiasm towards the franchise - sincere or not, he's still a guy looking for a job and payday.

This is going to be a great story to watch. Yeah we want him back, but the risk involved is very high, too.

What say you guys?

saintevil

Re: Clowney: At What Price?

Post by saintevil » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:44 pm

I'd give him over 23 million a season but make it a shorter contract with the guaranteed money in the first few years. The guy changes what the defense can do and played hurt a good part of the year. Pair him with another solid pass rusher and watch the Hawks Defense improve dramatically.

Captain 97

Post by Captain 97 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:48 pm

This is a tricky one. Right now the top 2 paid D-lineman are Donald and Lawrence at 22 Mil and 21 Mil respectively. Clowney doesn't have the flashy sack numbers so its hard to see anyone making him the highest paid D-lineman in the League. But on the other hand he is worth more than Frank Clark and and Clark got 20 Million and Salaries are always trending up so I don't think 22 Million is too far fetched. As much as it kills me If someone offers him 24-25 I think I would have to take a pass.

ThePro

Post by ThePro » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:48 pm

Some were scared of the Wagner contract last year and that didn't even come close to expectations.

Hawks simply don't do 4-5 year deals. A Clowney contract will look something like 3yr 60 with most of it guaranteed.

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:14 am

saintevil wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:44 pm
I'd give him over 23 million a season but make it a shorter contract with the guaranteed money in the first few years. The guy changes what the defense can do and played hurt a good part of the year. Pair him with another solid pass rusher and watch the Hawks Defense improve dramatically.
Welcome to the forum saintevil!
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:26 am

its going to come down to his market value, Hawks are not going to go outside their parameters for him, that is why I am somewhat pessimistic. And its not just about overpaying for him. Its also about setting precedents. Hawks are pretty strict about keeping their model, saw that with the RW contract

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:54 am

Donn Beach wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:26 am
its going to come down to his market value, Hawks are not going to go outside their parameters for him, that is why I am somewhat pessimistic. And its not just about overpaying for him. Its also about setting precedents. Hawks are pretty strict about keeping their model, saw that with the RW contract
Not saying the Hawks inked a bad deal on RW, but making the guy the highest paid player in all of football wasn't exactly making Russ bend to their wishes.

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:26 am

I think JS pretty much crushed those negotiations, making him the highest paid player was a given. It was the other aspects to the contract, RW was attempting to break new ground in terms of structure, having the salary tied to the CAP, guaranteed base salaries. There was a lot of interest around the league, speculating he would alter the structure of qb contracts. They gave him a nice chunk of guaranteed money, but in the end it was RW signing a pretty much standard Hawk contract, which was what JS was after, maintaining their contract structure

auroraave

Post by auroraave » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:15 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:54 am
Donn Beach wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:26 am
Not saying the Hawks inked a bad deal on RW, but making the guy the highest paid player in all of football wasn't exactly making Russ bend to their wishes.
RW's contract was an absolute win for both sides - I don't think anyone can argue that. Of course he was going to be the highest paid - the top QB's will always reset the market - it was his turn and he earned it. The next one will do the same. I doubt seattle resets it for Clowney. I'd be surprised if they went over $20 mil for him and flat out shocked if they went to $23 mil. Especially when you factor in the risk. So many fans dismiss the risk of signing. "Pay him whatever he wants" is how you get the Lambs situation - cap nightmare. JS doesn't do that - it's managing macro and micro econ all day long - and partly why the team remains competitive despite no top tier draft picks. The Lambs future looks dark - and they still have to pay Ramsey. Jesus what a shitty situation they are in.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:56 pm

I just find it funny that everyone wants to believe we dominate these things. Highest paid QB when he signed, we mad Bobby the highest paid MLB, Kam was the highest paid SS, Earl the highest paid FS and Sherm the highest paid CB.

It is what it is, if we hadn’t paid them someone else would have and they’d have left. Same goes for Clowney.