Starting pitcher contenders

rockycola

Starting pitcher contenders

Post by rockycola » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:58 am

Here's how Roster Resource has the M's starters stacked up all the way down to low A-ball.
Those still pitching internationally were not included.
Signings, trades, bullpen, injuries, attrition will all affect this list.
It'll be interesting to see how some of the youngsters progress.
Will Anmdrew Moore ever get another MLB start with the M's?
Sam Carlson - will he finally get his career going and rise rapidly thru the system or will he Hultzenate?
Note that none of the projected 2020 starters were drafted by the M's.
I don't see how 3 lefties can or should be in a starting role.

https://www.rosterresource.com/mlb-seattle-mariners/

SP1 SP 7 Marco Gonzales L 27.9
SP2 SP 18 Yusei Kikuchi L 28.6
SP3 SP 33 Justus Sheffield L 23.7
SP4 SP 49 Kendall Graveman R 29.1
SP5 SP 35 Justin Dunn R 24.3

AAA SP/RP Nestor Cortes Jr. L 25.1
AAA SP/RP Phillips Valdez R 28.2
AAA SP Ricardo Sanchez L 22.8
AAA SP Anthony Misiewicz L 25.2
AAA SP Ljay Newsome R 23.2
AAA SP Darren McCaughan R 23.8
AAA SP Andrew Moore R 25.6
AAA SP/RP Penn Murfee R 25.7

AA SP Logan Gilbert R 22.7
AA SP/RP Ian McKinney L 25.2
AA SP/RP Raymond Kerr L 25.3
AA SP Steven Moyers L 26.3
AA SP Austin Hutchison R 24.8

A+ SP Adam Hill R 22.8
A+ SP/RP Devin Sweet R 23.4
A+ SP Clay Chandler R 25.7
A+ SP Ryne Inman R 23.7

A SP George Kirby R 21.9
A SP Sam Carlson R 21.1
A SP Juan Then R 19.9
A SP Brandon Williamson L 21.8
A SP Max Roberts L 22.5
A SP Damon Casetta-Stubbs R 20.5
A SP Isaiah Campbell R 22.4
A SP Levi Stoudt R 22.1
A SP Tim Elliott R 22.3

A- SP/RP Elvis Alvarado R 20.9
A- SP/RP Jorge Benitez L 20.6
A- SP Michael Limoncelli R 19.6
A- SP Adam Macko L 19.0
Rocky Colavito is a Hall of Famer in my book!

D-train

Re: Starting pitcher contenders

Post by D-train » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:11 am

Thanks Phil. Good timing. I was just reading this. Do you guys agree with this statement?
If you’ve had any interest in the Mariners in recent weeks, you know they need to add some quality starting pitching to their big league roster. Or at least, a few guys with a chance to be quality arms.
https://sodomojo.com/2020/01/14/mariner ... oyd-trade/
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:13 am

I guess my question is what will happen if they don't add any starters. Does this mean we won't win the WS in 2020??? :shock:

I don't think JD feels like he has to do a damn thing between now and OD.
dt

bpj

Post by bpj » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:20 am

Good points, they really dont seem to be in a position of having to make any moves.

Kikuchi is worrisome, Dunn, Sheffield also..

What they should probably do is sign one or two Tacoma inning eater guys (barf) in case we have injuries to prevent calling up any guys behind Dunn prematurely.

Another guy who would potentially be a split contract like Taijuan Walker could be a fit because we have 4 rotation spots that are question marks.

Walker should command a deal similar to Ivan Nova. Seems like a no-brainer to me, but maybe another team pays up too much.

In that case, just grab enough AAA fodder to not have to dip too far below Dunn before theyre ready.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:00 am

bpj wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:20 am
Good points, they really dont seem to be in a position of having to make any moves.

Kikuchi is worrisome, Dunn, Sheffield also..

What they should probably do is sign one or two Tacoma inning eater guys (barf) in case we have injuries to prevent calling up any guys behind Dunn prematurely.

Another guy who would potentially be a split contract like Taijuan Walker could be a fit because we have 4 rotation spots that are question marks.

Walker should command a deal similar to Ivan Nova. Seems like a no-brainer to me, but maybe another team pays up too much.

In that case, just grab enough AAA fodder to not have to dip too far below Dunn before theyre ready.
I agree on KK and Scheff but why is Dunn worrisome?
dt

bpj

Post by bpj » Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:41 am

That he's not any more proven than Kikuchi I guess is what I mean. I'm not penciling him in for 30 starts.

We could need a guy not behind him, but to be ahead of him if he has a 4.5 ERA at the end of spring training and needs to start in AAA.

I wouldnt go in handing it to him, not writing him in stone every 5th day..

His likelihood of locking down a rotation spot all year is as worrisome as the others to me.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:45 pm

bpj wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:41 am
That he's not any more proven than Kikuchi I guess is what I mean. I'm not penciling him in for 30 starts.

We could need a guy not behind him, but to be ahead of him if he has a 4.5 ERA at the end of spring training and needs to start in AAA.

I wouldnt go in handing it to him, not writing him in stone every 5th day..

His likelihood of locking down a rotation spot all year is as worrisome as the others to me.
He was pretty damn good in AA last season and is 24.5. No reason not to see what he has. In his six inning cup o joe in Sept. he had a lot of walks but likely due to nerves given he didn't have a control problem in AA. Only giving up 2 hits in 6 innings tells me he has big league stuff.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:04 pm

Here is some exciting news. We were interested in a reclamation project that some other team signed.
Mariners Had Interest In Jimmy Nelson
By Connor Byrne | January 11, 2020 at 1:12am CDT

Right-hander Jimmy Nelson inked a one-year, $1.25MM contract with the Dodgers earlier in the week, but they had competition from Seattle. Nelson was someone the Mariners targeted, Greg Johns of MLB.com reports. He fit the profile of the low-risk, potentially high-reward type of starter the rebuilding Mariners seem to be seeking this offseason. They already landed Kendall Graveman several weeks ago, and have since shown interest in old friend Taijuan Walker. Johns highlights more possible options for the M’s in his piece.
dt

saintevil

Post by saintevil » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:49 pm

I think taking a risk on a possible reclamation project isn't a bad thing. Pitching is always needed at the deadline and if someone short term pops and gets us long term assets in the end, I think it would be worth the risk. I would prefer Taijuan Walker because he still has some youth but he also might be someone you look at as a piece moving forward to be part of the nucleus for beyond 2020.

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:57 pm

saintevil wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 6:49 pm
I think taking a risk on a possible reclamation project isn't a bad thing. Pitching is always needed at the deadline and if someone short term pops and gets us long term assets in the end, I think it would be worth the risk. I would prefer Taijuan Walker because he still has some youth but he also might be someone you look at as a piece moving forward to be part of the nucleus for beyond 2020.
Yeah, I agree. I just don't see it as mandatory or cancel the season as some bloggers are indicating.
dt