According to Kevin Calabro...

JAWA

According to Kevin Calabro...

Post by JAWA » Thu May 21, 2020 3:12 am

...he believes the Sonics will be back WITHIN five years: https://twitter.com/Joe_Fann/status/1262906119514738693

This does coincide with Shaq's comments from a couple weeks ago in saying there are several teams available. Not to mention the pandemic putting the squeeze on every team in the league. The question is, will OVG back up their talk and be active in acquiring one of the so-called available teams? Or will Chris finally be able to get his hands on one?

JAWA

Re: According to Kevin Calabro...

Post by JAWA » Tue May 26, 2020 12:51 am

Yep: https://twitter.com/SamQuinnCBS/status/ ... 6911299584

Or, they can move one of the teams in a struggling market.

And to think, this pandemic could be the catalyst that finally brings back the Green and Gold. Whodathunkit?

auroraave

Post by auroraave » Tue May 26, 2020 4:58 pm

JAWA wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 12:51 am

And to think, this pandemic could be the catalyst that finally brings back the Green and Gold. Whodathunkit?
Honest question - do you want the Sonics back, or the NBA? The league is not at all the same as it was. And do Seattleites really want to solve someone else's problem - for the NBA? I think Sonics fans will be extremely disappointed in what the league is anymore. The last Laker game I went to - the final quarter took 45 minutes to play - because of the endless timeouts (for commercials) and fouls. It was absolutely painful to sit through. No plans to go back any time soon. I can't sit through that shit anymore. Just like the NFL - it is purely about selling ad space.

there's a difference between lamenting the loss of the Sonics - we all do - and missing the NBA. but I can't say I give a shit anymore about the NBA - and I have two teams down here. The NBA ruined the league when they took the Supes, and the current state of the game makes it unwatchable. The leagues demand your loyalty (in dollars) but want the luxury of fucking you over when it's convenient for their wallets. They lost me for good. The NFL pretty much has, too.

Be careful what you wish for. Getting a franchise back is not the same as getting the Sonics back - at all. You're just fixing the NBA's problems that they created out of pure fucking greed. And you want to help them after they gave the city the middle finger? Oh, now Seattle's money is good enough for them? Fuck that.

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue May 26, 2020 5:49 pm

auroraave wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 4:58 pm
JAWA wrote:

Honest question - do you want the Sonics back, or the NBA? The league is not at all the same as it was. And do Seattleites really want to solve someone else's problem - for the NBA? I think Sonics fans will be extremely disappointed in what the league is anymore. The last Laker game I went to - the final quarter took 45 minutes to play - because of the endless timeouts (for commercials) and fouls. It was absolutely painful to sit through. No plans to go back any time soon. I can't sit through that shit anymore. Just like the NFL - it is purely about selling ad space.

there's a difference between lamenting the loss of the Sonics - we all do - and missing the NBA. but I can't say I give a shit anymore about the NBA - and I have two teams down here. The NBA ruined the league when they took the Supes, and the current state of the game makes it unwatchable. The leagues demand your loyalty (in dollars) but want the luxury of fucking you over when it's convenient for their wallets. They lost me for good. The NFL pretty much has, too.

Be careful what you wish for. Getting a franchise back is not the same as getting the Sonics back - at all. You're just fixing the NBA's problems that they created out of pure fucking greed. And you want to help them after they gave the city the middle finger? Oh, now Seattle's money is good enough for them? Fuck that.
Yep I pretty much lost interest after the Hansen/Sacramento debacle. I could take it or leave at this point and certainly am not holding my breath over something that might happen in 5 years. That being said I like options and it wouldn't hurt to have another team to root for. If I can't get into then I don't have to watch or follow the team.
dt

KingCorran

Post by KingCorran » Wed May 27, 2020 10:13 pm

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks this way.

By way of introduction... I'm a huge M's fan, a growing Stanford Cardinal and Seahawks fan, and born and raised in Seattle. I didn't follow sports much in my growing-up years, but went to college in 2001 - the M's wins total posted daily on my dorm room door. I went to some games with my folks as a kid, and enjoyed them... but I didn't care about football at that point, and baseball was a live event rather than a season. (Saw some special Griffey moments I appreciate more in retrospect, but I digress). The seeds of my football fandom were planted in 2001, and didn't blossom for a few years. My baseball fandom exploded that fall, and I trace it back to the M's 2001 home opener and a late season 2000 game - both of which I was taken to by a classmate.

My nascent Sonics fandom was there too, ready to be fanned into a flame. But, screw the NBA. (I don't tend toward strong language; let that hit you like a ton of bricks as it should). (Also, I'm not a Stanford basketball fan due to a #1 seed losing at/before the Sweet Sixteen my first year trying... it's taken me until THIS YEAR to be interested in a second go. Whatever that tells you, I don't know.)

All of that is context for my main point: the NBA doesn't deserve Seattle back.

And for further context... I'm really conservative politically, and think Seattle has some serious governmental/policital/polocy problems (but a lot of awesome people regardless... I'm just saying I don't think Seattle is the Bright Light of the good ol' USA, much as I love the natural environment!).

How's that for a rabbit trail of an interjection?

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu May 28, 2020 12:44 am

KingCorran wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 10:13 pm

By way of introduction... I'm a huge M's fan, a growing Stanford Cardinal and Seahawks fan, and born and raised in Seattle. I didn't follow sports much in my growing-up years, but went to college in 2001 - the M's wins total posted daily on my dorm room door. I went to some games with my folks as a kid, and enjoyed them... but I didn't care about football at that point, and baseball was a live event rather than a season. (Saw some special Griffey moments I appreciate more in retrospect, but I digress). The seeds of my football fandom were planted in 2001, and didn't blossom for a few years. My baseball fandom exploded that fall, and I trace it back to the M's 2001 home opener and a late season 2000 game - both of which I was taken to by a classmate.

My nascent Sonics fandom was there too, ready to be fanned into a flame. But, screw the NBA. (I don't tend toward strong language; let that hit you like a ton of bricks as it should). (Also, I'm not a Stanford basketball fan due to a #1 seed losing at/before the Sweet Sixteen my first year trying... it's taken me until THIS YEAR to be interested in a second go. Whatever that tells you, I don't know.)

And for further context... I'm really conservative politically, and think Seattle has some serious governmental/policital/polocy problems (but a lot of awesome people regardless... I'm just saying I don't think Seattle is the Bright Light of the good ol' USA, much as I love the natural environment!).

If your name was QueenCorran I would ask you for a date. lol I really appreciate the post especially how thoughtful it was. You are now my second fav KC after the guy in the header of of this thread. Very happy to have you as a part of the forum.

Darren
dt

Hanjag

Post by Hanjag » Fri May 29, 2020 8:19 pm

D-train wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 5:49 pm
auroraave wrote:
Tue May 26, 2020 4:58 pm
JAWA wrote:

Yep I pretty much lost interest after the Hansen/Sacramento debacle. I could take it or leave at this point and certainly am not holding my breath over something that might happen in 5 years. That being said I like options and it wouldn't hurt to have another team to root for. If I can't get into then I don't have to watch or follow the team.
Good exchange. This is pretty much my sentiment. I did not purposely watch NBA at all until catching a few games in the playoffs last year. Harden, Lillard, Durant, Splash bros, etc. They are all great at their profession. The NBA expansion franchise could bail-out the league from COVID expense. The teams sold since 2010:
2017 Houston 2.2 B
2015 Atlanta 850M
2014 LA C 2B
2014 MIl 550M
2013 Sac 534M
2012 Mem 350M'
2012 N.O. 338 M
2011 Tor 1.38 B'
2011 Phill 280 M
2011 Det 325 M
2010 G.S.W 450 M

So strange, How do you feel if you bought the Raptors for 1.38 B at the same time the next day the Historic ABA 76ers sell for 280 million. Maybe Toronto at the time was Canada's only NBA team ( Grizzlies?). They might be the only team that has home market broadcast for all of Canada on the NBA side. Kinda like how we get the Canadian invasion everytime the Jays play in Seattle.

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/2/15/1460 ... s-are-next

There are 13 cities listed as possible landing spots for NBA expansion teams. Seattle is #1 Mexico City is #2. I have seen lists with 25 potential spots.

It would be kinda interesting to see a 2-4-6 team expansion and the resulting expansion draft. How would it work? Say if Durant wanted to play for the sonics. could the new Sonics simply draft Durant and take over contract. Could players be protected and how many. Could drafted players refuse.

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri May 29, 2020 9:05 pm

After the Pilots left we only had to wait 8 years. And comparing the Sonics history to the Pilots is like comparing a 747 to a paper airplane.

The wait will be at least double that (16 years) if the 2025 timeline comes to fruition....
dt

JAWA

Post by JAWA » Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:45 am

KC leaves the Blazers: https://twitter.com/AaronQ13Fox/status/ ... 9851595776

I've seen several Sonics fans on Twitter speculating that the return of Sonics 2.0 is nigh although the main reason why he left the Blazers was to take a break from it all: https://twitter.com/ChrisEgan5/status/1 ... 2106460160

Still, if the Sonics do come back, he is available. Just sayin' ;)

KingCorran

Post by KingCorran » Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:54 pm

D-train wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 12:44 am
KingCorran wrote:
Wed May 27, 2020 10:13 pm

If your name was QueenCorran I would ask you for a date. lol I really appreciate the post especially how thoughtful it was. You are now my second fav KC after the guy in the header of of this thread. Very happy to have you as a part of the forum.

Darren
Hah. I'll take that gratefully. :D Glad to be here.