Five Stars and two Scholarships....

D-train

Five Stars and two Scholarships....

Post by D-train » Fri May 22, 2020 11:31 am

J.T. Tuimoloau’s first scholarship offer came from Washington.

And not just in football, either.

Tuimoloau — a five-star defensive lineman and the top recruit nationally in the 2021 class, according to 247Sports — earned his first football offer from the Huskies three games into his freshman season at Eastside Catholic High School in 2017. The 6-foot-5, 277-pounder would soon gain other offers from Ohio State, Alabama, USC, Stanford, Florida, Michigan, Auburn, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oregon and many more.

While he has always expressed a desire to be a dual-sport athlete in college, he had yet to receive any actual basketball offers.

Until Tuesday.

Now UW is reportedly the first program to offer Tuimoloau in both sports.

“Coach (Mike) Hopkins said when he was a coach at Syracuse, he coached Donovan McNabb, so he has had experience with this,” Tuimoloau told 247Sports.com national recruiting editor Brandon Huffman for a story published Thursday afternoon. “We also talked about Tony Gonzales and Julius Peppers. But this coming from coach Hopkins was big.”

Granted, the basketball scholarship offer is largely symbolic. Though Tuimoloau — who has been selected for the All-American Bowl and Polynesian Bowl following his senior football season — could conceivably play both sports at UW, he’ll ultimately sign a national letter of intent for football (thus freeing the basketball program to use said scholarship elsewhere). But Tuesday’s gesture makes it clear that UW is serious about providing him opportunities to succeed on the gridiron and the hardwood.

It will be interesting to see if Tuimoloau’s many football suitors soon follow with basketball offers as well. Because on Tuesday, Hopkins wasn’t simply selling a basketball program. He was also selling a city, a university and a state.

“Coach Hopkins said, whatever you want to do, we just want to let you know that Washington is a 40-year decision and not just four years, and Washington is determined to help grow men,” Tuimoloau told 247Sports.

As for UW’s football program, the Huskies currently have six verbal commits in the 2021 class — led by five-star Kennedy Catholic quarterback Sam Huard. That list also includes two three-star defensive linemen in Kuao Peihopa and Voi Tunuufi.
dt

D-train

Re: Five Stars and two Scholarships....

Post by D-train » Fri May 22, 2020 11:32 am

Is there some benefit financially to getting scholarships to two sports are just prestige. Not like you can get your tuition paid for twice.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri May 22, 2020 11:34 am

My answer was in the piece obviously.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri May 22, 2020 3:51 pm

Michael's least favorite game in NFL history. :lol:

https://twitter.com/NFL/status/1263854633660887040
dt

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Fri May 22, 2020 5:05 pm

D-train wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 3:51 pm
Michael's least favorite game in NFL history. :lol:

https://twitter.com/NFL/status/1263854633660887040
Not sure using the c in offense makes my case, but funny responses!
Shaun Tuite
@Tootster72
·
1h
Replying to
@NFL

@ronnie23brown
and 2 others
What about all the superbowls that offence won. Face with rolling eyes
Howie The Titan
@howie_thetitan
·
1h
Replying to
@NFL

@ronnie23brown
and 2 others
Basically he was Lamar Jackson for one game.
Ronnie Brown was a talented NFL RB with skills, and their QB wasn't all that good, AND no one had ever seen this offense. Oh, and I am pretty sure that was 12 years ago. That dumbass Bush took his fourth string RB and put him at Wildcat so they could take THIS guy OFF the field.
He finished his career at Lake Stevens completing 662 out of 1,025 pass attempts for 9,813 passing yards, 102 touchdown passes and 18 interceptions, while appearing in a total of 38 games. He was ranked as the best pro-style quarterback and best player overall in the 2016 class.[6][7]

Recruiting
He was rated a five-star recruit by Rivals, 247sports, and Scout. Rivals had Eason ranked as the top quarterback in the nation and as the 7th top prospect in the nation. Eason was a highly sought after recruit, receiving offers from Florida, Miami, Alabama, Colorado, Florida State, Michigan, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, among many others. On July 20, 2014, he committed to the University of Georgia.[8][9][10][11][12]
Not to mention that at that time Eason was playing very well. What I like to do with a guy that is on a hot streak is taking him off the field several times so he can watch the offense fail without him. You know, really confuse him about your plan and WTF kind of offense you want to run. Lucky for us Coach Pete was dreaming about the off season so he could retire and let Bush have free reign.

Not that I am bitter or anything.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Fri May 22, 2020 5:15 pm

As for the dual offers, there is nothing financially for the player to gain since it is football and basketball...both are full rides. It is letting the kid know you want him and are willing to let him do both.

It can be different. I know several Pac 12 schools offered the Van Lith girl here locally from Cashmere softball scholarships...to try and compete with the UCONN's, Lousiville's and Notre Dame's of the world. Because softball and baseball, I believe, are normally partial scholorships...if that was the other way around it would benefit the player. Meaning, they were better on the diamond than the field or court...it would mean the player could, I believe, get a full ride even though they played a Spring sport that doesn't normally offer one.

I have no idea if that is correct, but is what I first thought of when Hailey was getting softball offers....even though she never played after her Freshman year. Those offers came early...the fact that she stopped playing, I imagine, would have eventually taken those offers off the table. That being said, Heather Tarr may have offered up a spot it if meant getting her for the basketball program? Many of you may not watch Women's College basketball...I really haven't since Plumb graduated from the U. But, if you get a chance, watch a Louisville game when Hailey is playing. I've watched her several times, and she never fails to amaze!

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Sun May 24, 2020 8:20 pm

Why not have him as an enforcer type on the basketball team, kinda like a Maurice Lucas or Charles Oakley kind of player. At 6'5 280 he could make life tough on some of those skinny big men.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun May 24, 2020 10:30 pm

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 8:20 pm
Why not have him as an enforcer type on the basketball team, kinda like a Maurice Lucas or Charles Oakley kind of player. At 6'5 280 he could make life tough on some of those skinny big men.
Yep. Remember Reggie Rodgers?
dt

Sibelius Hindemith

Post by Sibelius Hindemith » Sun May 24, 2020 10:34 pm

1984 Orange Bowl team, right? I didn't realize he was on the basketball team as well. I didn't follow those teams at all.

D-train

Post by D-train » Thu May 28, 2020 12:36 am

Sibelius Hindemith wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 10:34 pm
1984 Orange Bowl team, right? I didn't realize he was on the basketball team as well. I didn't follow those teams at all.
Yep. This is my all time fav Husky Hoops team.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/sc ... /1984.html
dt