Comprehensive look at who every mock draft has us taking

AT Funchal-Madeira

Re: Comprehensive look at who every mock draft has us taking

Post by AT Funchal-Madeira » Fri May 22, 2020 3:46 pm

I can't wait for this draft..... starving for baseball. Don't the M's have an extra 2nd round pick? something close to that?

AT Funchal-Madeira

Post by AT Funchal-Madeira » Fri May 22, 2020 3:59 pm

Actually I think I found the answer to my own question.... what with the penalties for the Astros and Red Sox cheating and also small market compensation picks the draft is not so straight forward. The M's have the 6th pick, the 43rd pick, the 64th pick, and the 78th pick in the first three rounds. I was hoping for better but still those are all significant picks. Houston's first pick is the 72nd pick in the draft. Hopefully they don't do better in the draft than the M's .
https://www.mlb.com/draft/2020/order

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri May 22, 2020 4:11 pm

AT Fresno wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 3:59 pm
Actually I think I found the answer to my own question.... what with the penalties for the Astros and Red Sox cheating and also small market compensation picks the draft is not so straight forward. The M's have the 6th pick, the 43rd pick, the 64th pick, and the 78th pick in the first three rounds. I was hoping for better but still those are all significant picks. Houston's first pick is the 72nd pick in the draft. Hopefully they don't do better in the draft than the M's .
https://www.mlb.com/draft/2020/order
Man if we can't can huge ground on them this draft the JD regime needs to end.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri May 22, 2020 4:12 pm

dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun May 24, 2020 5:04 pm

dt

bpj

Post by bpj » Sun May 24, 2020 5:22 pm

D-train wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 5:04 pm
Sodo guy wants Myers........

https://sodomojo.com/2020/05/22/seattle ... aft-3-0/2/
Interesting, a pitcher is the last thing I think we should draft first, but that's if I knew how the rest of these guys would turn out, so what do I know.

This year is a big crapshoot, imo. Based on limited info at the very least.

I'm not going to get worked up over it this year. 5 rounds will probably be a disappointment, and I doubt the Mariners have as much luck as other teams when we can offer the same $20k bonus to try and sign all the rest.

Good year to throw out some hail Mary's and try to draw some high schoolers that aren't top prospects, maybe.

I really cant see an upside in how this draft is going down that will benefit the Mariners aside from having a high pick for 5 rounds of question marks.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun May 24, 2020 5:34 pm

One of the reasons I like Gozales is because he is a middle INFer with a big bat. Think Cano. Another is that he has more sample size than most given his significant Cape Code league experience. The slight is his non Power five competition in college but even if you discount his 1.765 OPS this season it is still amazing. Take a look at his 2020 stat line. Your eyes will pop out of your head.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/regi ... nzal004nic
dt

Sexymarinersfan

Post by Sexymarinersfan » Sun May 24, 2020 9:36 pm

D-train wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 5:34 pm
One of the reasons I like Gozales is because he is a middle INFer with a big bat. Think Cano. Another is that he has more sample size than most given his significant Cape Code league experience. The slight is his non Power five competition in college but even if you discount his 1.765 OPS this season it is still amazing. Take a look at his 2020 stat line. Your eyes will pop out of your head.

We don't know for sure about the power with Gonzales though. We hope that the power will translate if that's indeed who we take. Im just as high if not more so on Veen than Gonzales. And don't rule out Detmers or Hancock if both of those bats are off the board. I don't think Lacey will fall to us.

Hancock has a higher upside in ace potential than that of Gilbert or Kirby.

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun May 24, 2020 9:38 pm

Sexymarinersfan wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 9:36 pm
D-train wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 5:34 pm

We don't know for sure about the power with Gonzales though. We hope that the power will translate if that's indeed who we take. Im just as high if not more so on Veen than Gonzales. And don't rule out Detmers or Hancock if both of those bats are off the board. I don't think Lacey will fall to us.

Hancock has a higher upside in ace potential than that of Gilbert or Kirby.
You think there is a chance both Veen and Nick fall to us?
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun May 24, 2020 9:49 pm

Not worried about Nick's power. He hit 12 HRs in 16 games before the shut down.

In the Cape he hit 7 in 42 games which is pretty good. When Cano was 21 he 13 HRs in 135 games in the minors.....
dt