National media perspective

D-train

National media perspective

Post by D-train » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:31 pm

I always find these interesting:
The Seahawks entered the 2020 season with preseason hype and familiar caveats.

Will they let Russell Wilson loose sooner rather than later? Can their defense pressure opposing quarterbacks? Do all their games have to come down to the very end?

So far, so good. While it’s still too early to answer those questions definitively, the Seahawks flashed positive developments on both sides of the ball and held a comfortable lead late in their season-opening win over the Falcons.

In short, they looked like one of the best teams in the NFL after Week 1 and reaction from those covering the league reflects that.

Here’s where national media outlets ranked the Seahawks after their Week 1 win over the Falcons:

USA Today: No. 6
Sure seems they’ve got a pretty good plan in terms of deploying newly acquired all-pro S Jamal Adams (12 tackles, sack), who was all over the Falcons.

The Ringer: No. 4
Seattle ditched its signature run-establishing ethos in a 38-25 win against the Falcons and mercifully Let Russ Cook to open the season with an uncharacteristic pass-first tack, particularly on early downs. … The idea behind this potential sea change is that instead of playing everything close to the vest for the first three quarters and then asking Wilson to bail the team out late in the game (as we saw for much of last year), Seattle wants to do what the Chiefs have done under Mahomes: build an early lead and then protect it. And that’s exactly what happened on Sunday.

Yahoo Sports: No. 6
Jamal Adams’ debut: 12 tackles, two quarterback hits, one sack. The Seahawks paid a lot to get the All-Pro safety, but he’s going to have a huge impact on their defense this season.

CBS Sports: No. 7
Russell Wilson started what should be an MVP-like season in impressive fashion against the Falcons. It was nice to see the team let him throw it a lot more, and early in the game.

ESPN: No. 4
On WR Freddie Swain’s rookie debut: The sixth-round pick from Florida had a hand in a game-changing play Sunday, recovering a fumble that Marquise Blair forced on a fake punt. That gave the Seahawks a short field and helped set up Russell Wilson’s fourth touchdown pass. Swain’s lone catch went for 17 yards and put Seattle in position for a 42-yard Jason Myers field goal. Swain hardly seemed like a lock to make the team heading into training camp. Now it seems like he’ll be a regular contributor.

Bleacher Report: No. 4
Despite traveling to the East Coast to play in an early game, the Seahawks looked to be in midseason form in dispatching the Atlanta Falcons. Quarterback Russell Wilson was lethally efficient, missing on only four of 35 pass attempts and tossing four touchdown passes. Two of those scoring throws went to running back Chris Carson. Wide receivers Tyler Lockett and DK Metcalf both topped 90 receiving yards.

However, Wilson may have to do that every week for Seattle to keep winning. Some of the stats came in garbage time, but Seattle’s defense allowed over 500 yards of total offense and notched only two sacks of Matt Ryan.
dt

Michael K.

Re: National media perspective

Post by Michael K. » Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:29 pm

Most everything I read and hear Nationally is about them being blown away that they finally let Russ Cook. IMO, the only people that didn't see it being an issue before were too close to the situation, like fans and local sports blow hards. Well, and Pete Carroll.

The biggest deal Nationally seem to be about how this is all because Russ went in and laid down the law. I was texting a buddy about that last night and his words were, "if true, good for Russ, he has certainly earned it!" I just don't understand why it had to come to that, if true. And then I read a comment from Pete, after a dominating offensive performance like that, and he is upset by the number of rush attempts? You just can't make this shit up. Dude, anyone that watched that offense should have been thrilled.

Imagine if we had won by that same score, in that same fashion. Jumped out to a big lead, most of why the game was close was garbage time for Atlanta, game never felt in doubt. Now, imagine if it was done by both Carson and Hyde rushing for over 100 yards and all of our TDs. Would Pete have come out and expressed concern over a lack of pass attempts by Russ!? Is he that averse to the way the game is played now that he can actually find a problem with the way the offense put points on the board yesterday?

D-train

Post by D-train » Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:53 pm

Michael K. wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:29 pm
Most everything I read and hear Nationally is about them being blown away that they finally let Russ Cook. IMO, the only people that didn't see it being an issue before were too close to the situation, like fans and local sports blow hards. Well, and Pete Carroll.

The biggest deal Nationally seem to be about how this is all because Russ went in and laid down the law. I was texting a buddy about that last night and his words were, "if true, good for Russ, he has certainly earned it!" I just don't understand why it had to come to that, if true. And then I read a comment from Pete, after a dominating offensive performance like that, and he is upset by the number of rush attempts? You just can't make this shit up. Dude, anyone that watched that offense should have been thrilled.

Imagine if we had won by that same score, in that same fashion. Jumped out to a big lead, most of why the game was close was garbage time for Atlanta, game never felt in doubt. Now, imagine if it was done by both Carson and Hyde rushing for over 100 yards and all of our TDs. Would Pete have come out and expressed concern over a lack of pass attempts by Russ!? Is he that averse to the way the game is played now that he can actually find a problem with the way the offense put points on the board yesterday?
We win by two TDs on the road and score 38 points and he is worried about rushing attempts. Dude has serious issues...irrational obsession with running the football literally seems like an OCD type affliction at this point.
dt

Bil522

Post by Bil522 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:11 am

D-train wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:53 pm
Michael K. wrote:

We win by two TDs on the road and score 38 points and he is worried about rushing attempts. Dude has serious issues...irrational obsession with running the football literally seems like an OCD type affliction at this point.

It is only because every Super Bowl winner since the Packers(except last year and even then, the forty whiners should have won) have been a run first team, that controls the clock and plays defense. It is the formula that wins the most in the NFL

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:25 am

Josh McDaniels on what to expect from the Pats, would like to think that is how the Hawks would approach it something like that, they have a great passing attack, they have a great run game, use them to their best advantage. Perhaps look at it as the passing game setting up the running game as opposed to the other way around. That probably was a pretty lopsided game, I wouldn't expect them to always rely on the pass that heavily, but that doesn't mean it should diminish their chance to win

“I was thinking about this the other day: We’ve been a part of games where we’ve thrown it 65 times,” McDaniels said. “That’s difficult to sustain for a long stretch of time. We’ve had games where we’ve run it an inordinate amount of times. I mean, I’ve called over 50-some runs at different times in my career here. No matter what it is you do one week, you’d better be ready to handle a totally different challenge the next week.

“And I would say there’s probably not a greater discrepancy between two different types of defenses than the two that we’re playing here to start the season. So I know we saw some new things (in Week 1). Again, it’s a function of what we felt like we could do best against Miami. Now we’re working hard to figure out what’s going to be in that bucket here for Sunday night against Seattle.”
https://nesn.com/2020/09/josh-mcdaniels ... s-matchup/

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:54 am

Bil522 wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:11 am
D-train wrote:
Michael K. wrote:

It is only because every Super Bowl winner since the Packers(except last year and even then, the forty whiners should have won) have been a run first team, that controls the clock and plays defense. It is the formula that wins the most in the NFL
It doesn’t fit your narrative so the Chiefs shoulda lost...and all those Patriot teams won due to the RBs? Without looking them up, why don’t you name those running backs that lead the Pats to all those rings!?

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:20 am

was poking around looking at Pat RBs and found this, I am always interested in Belichick stuff, this is off the immediate topic but i thought it interesting in how PC went about rebuilding his defense this off season, might mirror Bill to some extent...
You can look back and attribute most all of the six Belichik/Tom Brady Super Bowl rings to the years in which they had really good DB play, particularly at corner. When Belichik has a lockdown corner, he can scheme to take away strengths and undermine offensive systems.
The Pats’ leading pass-rusher in 2018/19 was DE Trey Flowers, who had 7.5 sacks. Belichik doesn’t worry about beating you with a single dominant pass-rusher, he’ll manufacture pressure by moving guys around to attack matchups and make sure his secondary is clamping down on your preferred routes and targets. As I’ve noted repeatedly, as fast as good offenses can get the ball out on offense, your pass-rushers are irrelevant if you don’t have the players and schemes on the back end to force a QB to cycle through the OODA loop AFTER the snap.
http://sportstreatise.com/2019/02/how-b ... lii-notes/

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:40 am

Michael K. wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:54 am
Bil522 wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 5:11 am
D-train wrote:

It doesn’t fit your narrative so the Chiefs shoulda lost...and all those Patriot teams won due to the RBs? Without looking them up, why don’t you name those running backs that lead the Pats to all those rings!?
Tom Brady has had a tough couple days. First he gets dissed by Bruce Arians and now by Bil. lol
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:44 am

Donn Beach wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:20 am
was poking around looking at Pat RBs and found this, I am always interested in Belichick stuff, this is off the immediate topic but i thought it interesting in how PC went about rebuilding his defense this off season, might mirror Bill to some extent...
You can look back and attribute most all of the six Belichik/Tom Brady Super Bowl rings to the years in which they had really good DB play, particularly at corner. When Belichik has a lockdown corner, he can scheme to take away strengths and undermine offensive systems.
The Pats’ leading pass-rusher in 2018/19 was DE Trey Flowers, who had 7.5 sacks. Belichik doesn’t worry about beating you with a single dominant pass-rusher, he’ll manufacture pressure by moving guys around to attack matchups and make sure his secondary is clamping down on your preferred routes and targets. As I’ve noted repeatedly, as fast as good offenses can get the ball out on offense, your pass-rushers are irrelevant if you don’t have the players and schemes on the back end to force a QB to cycle through the OODA loop AFTER the snap.
http://sportstreatise.com/2019/02/how-b ... lii-notes/
Benson was impressive for us on Sunday and obviously so was Adams. 2 sacks isn't great but better than last year's pace.
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:04 pm

sure, just commenting on the idea of building from the back forward, its not that the sacks would come from Adams and Benson, but that having the receivers locked down will create sacks for your linemen who are not necessarily your premium players. It points out in the article the Rams doing it differently, investing in a couple of bookend DEs, just interesting that Petes approach might line up a bit with Bill's, Pete is a backfield sort of guy