Re: Rule 5/40-man Roster Lockdown Day

Post by D-train » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:07 pm

AT Fresno wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:05 pm
Juliooooo wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:18 am
D-train wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:48 pm

I think there will be some of both. Teams may take a chance on players and hide them on their roster. Thats what happened with Torrens. Picked up in the Rule 5, played only a few games and was essentially the 3rd catcher, then sent back to the minors. If a team is not planning on competing, they can afford to take a chance on a talented kid that hasn't fully developed. They lose nothing.
i AGREE, and I don't think the M's should be making decisions this year with an eye toward competing this year. And I'd use this year to stash a high potential under developed youngster from another team in the rule 5 draft.Someone they can use as a runner, defensive replacement occasionally, or in mop up games. Someone young.... another key potentially valuable position player.... for example, I'd be interested in taking this kid off the Cardinals roster..

.Ivan Herrera– 20 years old; highest level- Palm Beach (A-advanced)
Signed in 2016, Herrera is currently the Cardinals’ number four prospect. A fantastic young hitter, Herrera has become solid enough defensively to stick behind the plate. It might not be too much longer before he is knocking on the door and challenging Andrew Knizer as the heir to Yadier Molina.
Only 10 games but Ivan hit well in the Arizona Fall league in 2019. .324 BA and a .439 OBP. Problem is we already have 2 MLB catchers so I doubt we would carry 3.
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:03 pm

dt

AT Funchal-Madeira

Post by AT Funchal-Madeira » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:32 am

D-train wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:07 pm
AT Fresno wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:05 pm
Juliooooo wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:18 am

I think there will be some of both. Teams may take a chance on players and hide them on their roster. Thats what happened with Torrens. Picked up in the Rule 5, played only a few games and was essentially the 3rd catcher, then sent back to the minors. If a team is not planning on competing, they can afford to take a chance on a talented kid that hasn't fully developed. They lose nothing.
i AGREE, and I don't think the M's should be making decisions this year with an eye toward competing this year. And I'd use this year to stash a high potential under developed youngster from another team in the rule 5 draft.Someone they can use as a runner, defensive replacement occasionally, or in mop up games. Someone young.... another key potentially valuable position player.... for example, I'd be interested in taking this kid off the Cardinals roster..

.Ivan Herrera– 20 years old; highest level- Palm Beach (A-advanced)
Signed in 2016, Herrera is currently the Cardinals’ number four prospect. A fantastic young hitter, Herrera has become solid enough defensively to stick behind the plate. It might not be too much longer before he is knocking on the door and challenging Andrew Knizer as the heir to Yadier Molina.
Only 10 games but Ivan hit well in the Arizona Fall league in 2019. .324 BA and a .439 OBP. Problem is we already have 2 MLB catchers so I doubt we would carry 3.
The only reason not to carry three catchers is to contend.... you know you'd like to have someone like this in the pipeline.... great potential value and with the versatility of our other position players, we could do this.... let him dh a little also....This kid is twenty and been with the Cardinals 4 years! He knows what the pro game requires.... rare opportunity...

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:34 am

Yeah with 26 roster spots there's no reason that extra one can't be a catcher with a great future
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:35 am

I know you're a fan of giant asses but Cal Raleigh gives me pause. 🤣
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:18 pm

Ivan Herrera protected by the Cards

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/basebal ... 716ca.html
dt

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:41 pm

Here are all the top 30 guys that were protected and left unprotected by team. I looked at several of the unprotected group, even a few top 10 prospects that we could take but it quickly became clear why they weren't protected.

https://www.mlb.com/news/rule-5-draft-e ... 0Dec.%2010.

Let's see if you guys have better luck than I did.
dt

AT Funchal-Madeira

Post by AT Funchal-Madeira » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:09 pm

D-train wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:18 pm
Ivan Herrera protected by the Cards

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/basebal ... 716ca.html

Damn, with their last roster spot on the last day.... course, I doubted the M's would take him but there was an opportunity for any number of teams. On rule 5 day, you have to look closely at teams like the Rays, Cardinals, and Dodgers who draft and sign very young players because their ceiling is often much higher and they have excellent developmental organizations....

D-train

Post by D-train » Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:56 pm

The Cardinals number 15 Prospect is another catcher named Julio Rodriguez. That name sounds familiar for some reason. We could take him as he's unprotected as well
dt