Post Mortem: 2021 Playoffs - Seahawks v Lambs

D-train

Re: Post Mortem: 2021 Playoffs - Seahawks v Lambs

Post by D-train » Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:06 am

Donn Beach wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:04 am
O'Neil thinks people are freaking out too much. Run game coordinator?..like with Bevel/Cable?...does seem like i have been hearing that around the league, teams with run game coordinators.
Wilson is a draw here, not a detriment, and it’s very possible that Seattle is moving back toward the power-sharing arrangement that used to exist on offense with a run-game coordinator and someone else calling the passing plays. In the meantime, everyone should take a deep breath. The Seahawks are exploring options, not running out of them.
https://sports.mynorthwest.com/1274096/ ... nclusions/
If that clown thinks people are freaking out too much then people are freaking out too little.
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:20 am

that is pretty much what i been thinking, there is no simple solutions to the thing, run the ball more, pass it more, go faster...
“To me it’s much more about a set of priorities, thinking through what went wrong with the offense in the second half of last offseason and ‘Can we not only bring in someone who not only can fix those things… but also has a willingness to make those sorts of adjustments on the fly,’ which frankly I think was lacking with this offense,” she said. “There are so many problems with Seattle’s offense. It’s such a complicated (situation); it wasn’t as simple as ‘Run the ball more, pass the ball more, we need a quick passing game, obviously we have to figure out ways to tackle Cover 2.’ It goes also to personnel and overall philosophy.

“My hope is that they find an offensive coordinator who is adaptable and inventive more than anything.”
https://sports.mynorthwest.com/1276191/ ... oc-search/

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:45 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:20 am
that is pretty much what i been thinking, there is no simple solutions to the thing, run the ball more, pass it more, go faster...
“To me it’s much more about a set of priorities, thinking through what went wrong with the offense in the second half of last offseason and ‘Can we not only bring in someone who not only can fix those things… but also has a willingness to make those sorts of adjustments on the fly,’ which frankly I think was lacking with this offense,” she said. “There are so many problems with Seattle’s offense. It’s such a complicated (situation); it wasn’t as simple as ‘Run the ball more, pass the ball more, we need a quick passing game, obviously we have to figure out ways to tackle Cover 2.’ It goes also to personnel and overall philosophy.

“My hope is that they find an offensive coordinator who is adaptable and inventive more than anything.”
https://sports.mynorthwest.com/1276191/ ... oc-search/
Anything is fixable. The problem is PC thinking that he has miraculously come up with a fool proof solution. Just run more and more better.
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:06 pm

well i am not going to draw that conclusion on a single sentence from an hour long presser, its not like he stood there for half of it extolling the evils of the forward pass...fact is he spent more time lamenting the lack of adjustments, which i do hold him accountable for, but at least he is seems to see it, so one might assume it be addressed.

Next season RW is going to be reduced to handing off to a RB? I doubt that actually, in fact I will make a wager, their ratio of runs to passing doesn't change, at least to running more. There are issues, but all this attention to that comment, to me is a strawman

'

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:10 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:06 pm
well i am not going to draw that conclusion on a single sentence from an hour long presser, its not like he stood there for half of it extolling the evils of the forward pass...fact is he spent more time lamenting the lack of adjustments, which i do hold him accountable for, but at least he is seems to see it, so one might assume it be addressed.

Next season RW is going to be reduced to handing off to a RB? I doubt that actually, in fact I will make a wager, their ratio of runs to passing doesn't change, at least to running more. There are issues, but all this attention to that comment, to me is a strawman

'
Not making adjustments in the Giants game was one thing but then to admit that mistake and then do the EXACT same thing in a playoff game a month later is just breathtaking incompetence.
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:13 pm

yeah and heads rolled

D-train

Post by D-train » Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:27 pm

Donn Beach wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:13 pm
yeah and heads rolled
A body part rolled. The head is still firmly attached.
dt

Donn Beach

Post by Donn Beach » Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:38 pm

a body part?...they are in the market for a new OC, it was considered a surprising development actually. I will wait to see what comes of it

auroraave

Post by auroraave » Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:04 pm

I simply do not believe Carroll literally means they want to run the ball more. It was a heat of the moment comment coming from a place of frustration. Cover two is not some new defense. Every offense in the NFL not named the Seattle Seahawks has plays to run against it. Most teams also have a quarterback that is comfortable throwing quick slants and passes that get the ball out quick - except, it seems, Seattle. No OC in the world is going to a team that is planning on running the ball more than passing - except some low level 'run game coordinator' - and that type of hire would be a colossal disaster and a PR nightmare for the team. Carroll wasn't getting the results he wanted and was just doing his best Joe Biden and blathering mindlessly. This is NOT about running it more.

The OC has to be a pass-oriented person - that is the NFL, period. The run game is exponentially easier to run and execute than a passing attack which is designed to take advantage of specific looks, and also clear out zones through scheming and motions and create mismatches. That is complicated - and therein lies the real value of any OC, period. if the OC isn't pass-oriented, which is the single most essential element in any offense, there will be a huge revolt over the hire, and it may even start with RW, because anything less than that kind of hire, will be a major condemnation of Wilson himself.

I would dial way back taking his quote so literally. Seattle isn't going to come out in the single wing and start running the veer or the full house option back field. Ain't gonna happen. People are making waaaaaaaaaaaaay too much about a tiny sentence said out of frustration.

Michael K.

Post by Michael K. » Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:40 pm

They won’t run single wing, but they are going to run it more. Get used to again watching the second and long dive play followed by a dump off on third down and then Pete high fiving the punt team.

As for the set up with Cable and Bevell, it was stupid. Bevell wasn’t even in the room when the game plan was implemented for the run game, and Cable called the protections in the pass game. The only good part of that offense was the read option, and that was because Lynch was a Beast and Wilson was a threat to keep it. The O Line stunk, but everyone thought they could run block, only because the dual threat in the read option kept defenses off guard. That made Cable believe he could go to Old Country Buffet and fin any big dude to play O Line. It was a shit show, but ai full on expect him to hire a run game guy and keep the in house coach for the passing game. That guy bores me so much I forgot his name.